Just off the Pearl, was 1st time on NCL

Princess Sassy

Well, we got an upgrade before we left which was wonderful!! Courtyard villa Plumeria suite. Really enjoyed the tub overlooking the ocean with a tv. Loved the shower with body sprays and rainshower. Loved, Loved the bed!! Loved the butler. Loved the courtyard pool, breakfast/lunch options and the secluded deck/terrace above the courtyard.

Now, the negative....I have never been on a ship where I felt so crowded/cramped in the public areas. It appears that on Pearl there is only one deck for the shops and atrium area. We always had to go down the same hallway and excuse me, excuse me our way through the hall and then the shops. I prefer the way Princess has it arranged because there are shops on several decks that are open in the center. More area to move around as well as room to have sidewalk sales.

The food was good, not great. Never really had great service in any of the dining rooms. I had never been on NCL before so did not really understand the freestyle experience. I have to say even though I am not always eager to have formal night that I kind of prefer everyone to be either formal or informal. It was weird to see some people dressed up with others in jeans in the dining rooms and out and about.

I think the reason for the crowded feel was there were so many restaurants, most of them being for an extra charge. I would prefer more room for people to move around. It appeared to me that there were not that many people opting for the extra charge restaurants and that space could have been better used.

All that being said, as long as I stayed in the courtyard area, I was quite happy. Once I left that area, not so happy.

As for an earlier post about Erika, the concierge, my understanding is that she has only been on the ship for 3 weeks. Therefore, she is still learning the ropes and we too had a little misunderstanding with her but I felt that she was really trying to make us happy as well as all of the others but she is just new.

Also, I was surprised that the first mini bar, internet service and laundry were not free with the suite as it is on Princess. That was disappointing. And as far as the spa, they continually "put the sell" on me from start to finish. Even while I was waiting for my appointment they were asking me about booking something else. Then after my wonderfully relaxing hot stone massage the therapist starts in on products and when I said no to then she tried to get me to book another another service. I was no longer relaxed for having to deal with the pushy sales tactics.

So, there were pros and cons about the Pearl as there are most ships. I definitely recommend the courtyard suites that is what made our trip really nice and enjoyable. If we had not gotten an upgrade I don't think we would have enjoyed it as much.

I have got to say that our experice with the public areas on the Pearl was completely different than yours. In fact we made the comment several times that we were amazed how "uncrowded" they all seems and maybe that was because they had so many different public areas. The only exception to that was the area where they do the art auction. Sometimes that walkway would get crowded with the art on display when they were getting ready to auction. I don't know why they do that where they do. I think it is near the Champagne bar, but couldn't swear to it.

I do 100% agree with you on the spa issue. We have never used NCL's spa and will never use NCL's spa because we have heard from too many people the exact same thing you have said. You are there to relax. I do understand that they are there to make money, but, JMHO, if you are already there booked for something they need to back off of you with the hard sale. I read a posting once of a lady who was there for like a facial and to have her nails done or something like that. When she left she was so depressed because they kept telling her what bad skin she had and she needed to buy this or that for her skin. I REALLY felt sorry for that lady and if I had been her, I would have thrown a fit with someone in the ships management.

I am glad you enjoyed your room and glad that you cut the Concierge some slack for being new. I am just sorry your experience with the rest of the ship was different that ours.

Not that it makes you feel any better, but I think every spa on every cruise line is like that. You're totally right!!! Their pressure to buy more takes away every bit of relaxation you just enjoyed. I have a close friend who is a massage therapist with Crystal Cruises and I voiced my complaints to her about this very issue. Her suggestion was that immediately when you report for your appointment and check in at the reception desk and also with your assigned therapist, you should be polite but very firm that you are there to relax and do not want to hear any sales pitches about any products or other spa services. If you are interested in anything other than the service you are there for, you will ask, but otherwise your time of relaxation is not to be disturbed. I tried this on my recent Pearl cruise and it worked beautifully. No one said a word except "thank you and please come again".

Well, we got an upgrade before we left which was wonderful!! Courtyard villa Plumeria suite. Really enjoyed the tub overlooking the ocean with a tv. Loved the shower with body sprays and rainshower. Loved, Loved the bed!! Loved the butler. Loved the courtyard pool, breakfast/lunch options and the secluded deck/terrace above the courtyard.

Now, the negative....I have never been on a ship where I felt so crowded/cramped in the public areas. It appears that on Pearl there is only one deck for the shops and atrium area. We always had to go down the same hallway and excuse me, excuse me our way through the hall and then the shops. I prefer the way Princess has it arranged because there are shops on several decks that are open in the center. More area to move around as well as room to have sidewalk sales.

The food was good, not great. Never really had great service in any of the dining rooms. I had never been on NCL before so did not really understand the freestyle experience. I have to say even though I am not always eager to have formal night that I kind of prefer everyone to be either formal or informal. It was weird to see some people dressed up with others in jeans in the dining rooms and out and about.

I think the reason for the crowded feel was there were so many restaurants, most of them being for an extra charge. I would prefer more room for people to move around. It appeared to me that there were not that many people opting for the extra charge restaurants and that space could have been better used.

All that being said, as long as I stayed in the courtyard area, I was quite happy. Once I left that area, not so happy.

As for an earlier post about Erika, the concierge, my understanding is that she has only been on the ship for 3 weeks. Therefore, she is still learning the ropes and we too had a little misunderstanding with her but I felt that she was really trying to make us happy as well as all of the others but she is just new.

Also, I was surprised that the first mini bar, internet service and laundry were not free with the suite as it is on Princess. That was disappointing. And as far as the spa, they continually "put the sell" on me from start to finish. Even while I was waiting for my appointment they were asking me about booking something else. Then after my wonderfully relaxing hot stone massage the therapist starts in on products and when I said no to then she tried to get me to book another another service. I was no longer relaxed for having to deal with the pushy sales tactics.

So, there were pros and cons about the Pearl as there are most ships. I definitely recommend the courtyard suites that is what made our trip really nice and enjoyable. If we had not gotten an upgrade I don't think we would have enjoyed it as much.

Congratulations on the upgrade or up-sell?

I have not been on the Pearl, but her sister ship the Jewel and I noticed on very crowded day towrds the end when they have the big sale and everyone is at the service desk getting a printout of their charges. That was a bad day down in the atrium, but it was easily avoided. I am happy their was something that kept you happy on your cruise. I am just happy being on the ship. LOL

thanks for giving ua a candid and objective review as you saw it. These are the types of reviews that most can take somewhat seriously...Thanks again.

Nita

Not that it makes you feel any better, but I think every spa on every cruise line is like that. You're totally right!!! Their pressure to buy more takes away every bit of relaxation you just enjoyed. I have a close friend who is a massage therapist with Crystal Cruises and I voiced my complaints to her about this very issue. Her suggestion was that immediately when you report for your appointment and check in at the reception desk and also with your assigned therapist, you should be polite but very firm that you are there to relax and do not want to hear any sales pitches about any products or other spa services. If you are interested in anything other than the service you are there for, you will ask, but otherwise your time of relaxation is not to be disturbed. I tried this on my recent Pearl cruise and it worked beautifully. No one said a word except "thank you and please come again".

I have been very lucky the few times I have used the spa on NCL, also on Celebrity, not the same on Princess or Carnival, with Carnival being the worst. On my last NCL cruise I had a facial, the little gal was from Korea, only had been with NCL for 2 weeks, she was delightful and never tried to sell me any of the products she used, the same when I had a mini massage and fake sun treatment on NLC as well as Celebrity, never were any products pushed down my thoat. They did try once to sell me a brush they used on my back, but took no for an answer. On Celebrity I even asked about purchasing some of the lotion and about re-ordering. The gal did sell me a bottle but never was pushy. I only have had one treatment on Princess, they were not as bad as Carnival: I will drop it at that.

Nita

Thanks for the review!

Personally, I dont know of one spa that doesnt attempt to sell you their products:) But who wants to hear the laundry list of product benefits while trying to enjoy a "service"!

Thank you so much for that idea. I will be saying something to them. I don't like anyone yakkin' at me when I'm having a massage, or after either. I don't need to get pissed offf right after being so relaxed LOL

I went to the spa for a massage on my Pearl cruise ( I do 1 every cruise ),

not a word was spoken other than " hope to see you again " Thank you " ..... OR maybe they didn't really want to see me again ...

Archived