Roaton Tabyana vs. BIBR or others

snorkelTone

Hello -- I am excited about our cruise (1st timer) 12/4 on the NCL Sun. I'd appreciate some advice about the snorkel excursions (I dive but plan to stay just snorkeling with the friend I'm going with). My main question is about Roatan.

So far my plan is

:

Cayman: Captain Marvin (hmm...hope there's enough time for this and that I can get off an early tender in time (only there 8-3)) - are they really good about getting us back in time? I am easily stressed! What is ship/local time there in December?

Roatan: right now did Tabyana Beach snorkel through cruise line essentially for fear we'll miss the boat (or at least be stressed all day about it). Other options for basically the same price include BIBR, Inn of Last Resort, etc. With those operators I get to boat snorkel, but with Tabyana I'm limited to shore snorkeling. That seems like the only real difference...SO, the question is, how is the Tabyana snorkeling really? We don't need to do anything else but snorkel and are real reef enthusiasts. We are only in Roatan 11-7 and I don't have a feel for how long it takes to get off the boat, get through traffic, get driven to resort, onto boat, etc. and also how early we have to be at dock to get back on cruise ship. Are there other options like getting over to Tabyana through cruiseline (so that it is all their problem and their responsibility to get me back on the cruiseship) but then leave from there and beach snorkel in other locations or even take a boat trip from Tabyana? Is it safe to snorkel way out there (past the ropes)? Where exactly should we go? I know I can get to Tabyana cheaper on my own but the idea is to give up that responsibility to the cruise line.

Belize: Coral Breeze

Cozumel: Eagle Ray Divers

Any other comments? I feel ok about the other days but worry that we'll wish we did BIBR or the others instead of the cruise excursion to Tabyana.

Thanks for reading this long post.

tabyana beach snorkeling will blow you away:).....its sooo fabo!....and soooo easy to do yourself....the less complicated way to get there is to just take a cab all the way.....if you bargain hard you should be able to get a cab from the port for 15-20 bucks one way to Tabyana.....a cheaper way is to bargain for a 5 dollar cab to the water taxi site and then catch a water taxi over to tabyana for 1.50 per person.....i would never do this tour through the ship....its wayyy too easy to do on your own......when snorkeling go all the way down to the end of the beach where it dead ends......you will only be able to snorkel so far out before it drops off reallyyy deep and you can see nothing but darkness.....its kinda freaky!....in cayman youll find diff people offering different stingray tours once off the ship....im sure youll find one to fit your timings.....its a must do:)

We went to Inn of Last resort last December- had been to Tabayana before- We are experienced snorkelers- unfortunately for us the weather waas rainy and the seas were murky where we were taken. It had been rainy for more than a week last year- I dont know if others ahad a better snorkel experince that week- I am sure the divers did though- the folks at the Inn were great!

We went to BIBR last Feb and I want to go live there!!!:D :D They pick you up at the pier and take you back in plenty of time. You can opt for the boat snorkel or the shore. They have a snorkel trail marked off as well. They will take you out in the boat several times if you want. You get lunch also. My best underwater photos were from Roatan. You can get a CD from BIBR if you ask for her to send you one. Be careful tho, you will drool on it!!! :D

Have fun wherever you go, okay!

We went to BIBR last Feb and I want to go live there!!!:D :D They pick you up at the pier and take you back in plenty of time. You can opt for the boat snorkel or the shore. They have a snorkel trail marked off as well. They will take you out in the boat several times if you want. You get lunch also. My best underwater photos were from Roatan. You can get a CD from BIBR if you ask for her to send you one. Be careful tho, you will drool on it!!! :D

Have fun wherever you go, okay!

snorklecat, do they provide gear at bay island. We have reservations there in december. Also is it extra to go on the boat? we aren't experienced snorklers so wonder if there is someone who can spend time with us from the resort?

Yes, a guide will go with you. It did cost more to do the boat trip vs from the shore. Have you been to their website? There is lots of good info there. Ask any questions and she will answer you right away. I don't know about gear, as we both take all of our own. Have you asked for the CD about the Resort? You will love it. She will send you one free, just ask. Be sure you ask about the Spooky Channel. It is a phenomenal witness to the wonder of the planet Earth!!! I got some great pics of it!!!

Have fun....oh, you will!

So when you went you didn't find Spooky Channel murky? Others on this board have said that but maybe it was unusually poor conditions.

I think my main question is really: is the snorkeling decent at Tabyana or will I regret not going to BIBR because I will have spent a day (and $50 for insurance that I'd get back on the ship in time) in not-so-special snorkeling conditions? Do we have to go way out away from civilization to see the good areas (i.e. where we'll get swept away by the sea never to return)? Thanks again!

Archived