Whale watching in Juneau

bocaj

We're going to be in Juneau early June and would like to book a whale watching excursion. One of the operators I've been in contact with is Alaska Whale Watching/Alaska Trophy Fishing. I haven't seen much written about them here, and was wondering if anyone had done their whale watching excursion before? If so, would you recommend their excursion and why/why not? I'm a little nervous booking with someone without having known anything about the company. Thank you!

If you are looking for whales or fishing why dont you go to were this is in big numbers. Icy Straights or Hoonah has some of the best whale watching and fishing there is. If you dont agree look up the facts with the State of Alaska and NOAA. Case dont you run a boat out of Juneau. If you do please be more professonal.

If you are looking for whales or fishing why dont you go to were this is in big numbers. Icy Straights or Hoonah has some of the best whale watching and fishing there is. If you dont agree look up the facts with the State of Alaska and NOAA.

Sorry if I had somehow offended you with my question. :confused: The reason for Juneau and not Icy Straights or Hoonah is because our 7 days Seattle round trip doesn't go there. Would love to see other places in Alaska, but perhaps next trip.

Check to see if Harv and Marv are available for the whale watching trip. We are booked with them for a late May date. When we were doing our research on the boards they were highly recommended so we went with them. They are out of Juneau. Good luck! Wendy:D

If you are looking for whales or fishing why dont you go to were this is in big numbers. Icy Straights or Hoonah has some of the best whale watching and fishing there is. If you dont agree look up the facts with the State of Alaska and NOAA. Case dont you run a boat out of Juneau. If you do please be more professonal.

Juneau whale watching has had 100% sightings of humpbacks for years. "Pretty" good whale watching in my experience of approx 20+ trips out of there. :)

This board is heavily slanted toward private tours. If you are looking for a small boat with few people, that is the way you need to go, but be sure exactly what you are getting (as a post above indicates). Harv and Marv, and Orca Enterprises, the operators often mentioned on this board, both get good reviews.

However, Juneau was one of the places we opted for the ship's excursion. The operator is Allen Marine, and they are outstanding at tours for larger groups. You get the advantage of a large comfortable boat with a heated cabin, snack bar, and restroom, specifically designed for whale watching with large wrap around windows. It has plenty of comfortable seating, and also has lots of deck space on the upper deck for those who are more adventuresome! They have well trained naturalists and exhibits like pieces of whale and seal skin to pass around.

Jumping in a Zodiac with a waterproof parka and zooming around looking for whales is not my thing. For many people it is. But if you prefer a larger more comfortable boat then the ship's excursion is a wonderful option.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thank you all for your responses.

However, Juneau was one of the places we opted for the ship's excursion. The operator is Allen Marine, and they are outstanding at tours for larger groups. You get the advantage of a large comfortable boat with a heated cabin, snack bar, and restroom, specifically designed for whale watching with large wrap around windows. It has plenty of comfortable seating, and also has lots of deck space on the upper deck for those who are more adventuresome! They have well trained naturalists and exhibits like pieces of whale and seal skin to pass around.

Sounds great. We were debating about booking on our own or through an independent operator. After reading more about it, it seems it's easier to just book through the ship. We're going to have a toddler with us, so the larger boat would probably have more room and be more comfortable. Thanks for the recommendation.

By the way, I've looked into Harv and Marv and they don't take a child under the age of thirteen unless we book an exclusive tour. It's understandable as the boat is small, but harv and marv sounded great. However, it's too expensive for us to book the whole boat to ourselves. Oh well, maybe next time. ;)

Thanks again, everyone, for your input.

Harv and Marv were already booked by the time I inquired about their whale-watching tour, and I knew Alaskan Marine Adventures (Hi, Case!) was no longer doing tours. So - I reserved the Photo Safari By Land and Sea through Princess. I've read only glowing comments about the excursion on CC, and I think it will be a fun way to spend an afternoon and early evening in Juneau. Unlike some cruise lines - Princess charges excursions to your onboard account, so we won't have to pay for it until we cruise. :)

I'm thinking of doing that photo tour in Juneau too. Can you point me to any reviews? Thanks and enjoy!

Go to the Alaska board's home page, and under "Search This Forum" at the top right of the screen - type "Photo Safari." That will bring up many comments about that excursion.

Bob J

Orca Enterprises does not do its tours from a Zodiac. It is a very comfortable boat with a cabin and viewing deck. They serve wonderful quality snacks like smoked salmon and Tillamok cheese.

Orca Enterprise's office is only a block from the dock. They shuttle you to their ship and for a small additional fee will take you to shopping centers or out to the Mendenhall Glacier.

Capt Larry was our tour guide. I don't know if he has since retired, but he was a great tour leader. It is my understanding that he received a new boat in 2006.

Ditto on Harv & Marv, they do not use Zodiacs. In fact, I'm not aware of any whalewatch tour in Juneau that does. The smaller boats have a Coast Guard license for up to 6 passengers and are called "six packs" by the locals. Harv & Marv's boat had plenty of cabin and open deck space, a toilet, soft drinks, and snacks.

Ditto on Harv & Marv, they do not use Zodiacs. In fact, I'm not aware of any whalewatch tour in Juneau that does. The smaller boats have a Coast Guard license for up to 6 passengers and are called "six packs" by the locals. Harv & Marv's boat had plenty of cabin and open deck space, a toilet, soft drinks, and snacks.

Sorry, I did not mean to imply that every independent operator uses Zodiacs, or that they do not have facilities on board. Some boats are smaller, some are larger. Most adventuresome folk that use the small operators are pleased with them if they have done their homework and understand just what they are booking.

My point was that there are varying degrees of comfort and IMHO the ship's excursion offers more of it for those like us, who are more mature and less adventuresome, or like the OP who have small children, or those who simply like more comfort.

It is nice to have a choice.

another vote for ocra enterprises...the boat is very comfortable and is made for wheelchairs (wide doors, wide aisle, etc). they do have rates for kids. the nice thing, the kid can stay indoors and still get a great view (big windows). since it can hold up to 35 people, it's a comfortable size.

for the most part, the difference between the "small" boat operator and the larger boats is a type of license. the small boat operators also do fishing trips, which limit them to 6 passengers. the boats, made for whale watching rather then fishing or private use, are more of a tour boat with more enclosed area. many of the "small" boat whale watching actually have good sized boats.

i am older and more into comfort...which orca's boats have...with a few less people to crowd me.

another vote for ocra enterprises...the boat is very comfortable and is made for wheelchairs (wide doors, wide aisle, etc). they do have rates for kids. the nice thing, the kid can stay indoors and still get a great view (big windows). since it can hold up to 35 people, it's a comfortable size.

for the most part, the difference between the "small" boat operator and the larger boats is a type of license. the small boat operators also do fishing trips, which limit them to 6 passengers. the boats, made for whale watching rather then fishing or private use, are more of a tour boat with more enclosed area. many of the "small" boat whale watching actually have good sized boats.

i am older and more into comfort...which orca's boats have...with a few less people to crowd me.

Add another vote for Orca here.

Along this same question---is there a recommendation (or opinion) on doing a afternoon vs eve (6pm) whale watching in Juneau last of May?

the whales will be feeding 24/7...especially in may. since they don't eat the whole time they are in hawaii. it's just what time fits best with your plans. i do suggest that you go with the one that gives you the most time out?

What time do the whale watching tours go out? I'd prefer one in the morning (I think). Any pro's or con's?

Someone mentioned the snacks and beverages on the Orca tours. I know Harv & Marv don't allow alcoholic beverages. Is alcohol available on the Orca tours? Might want to have an adult beverage while on the adventure.

Are there seats available indoors on the Harv & Marv boats?

I know a lot of people have raved about the Harv & Marv tours. Can someone tell me why you think it's so good? Same for Orca. I'm trying to determine the differences between the 2 so I can pick the one that's best for us.

Thanks.

Add another vote for Orca here.

We toured with Orca 5 years ago and I just booked again for our September visit on the Diamond Princess. So, Captain Larry has a new boat, that's nice, I hope we get booked on his new boat!

I am certain you will enjoy the Whale Watching as much as we did - don't miss it.

Marion

Sue,

No alcohol on the Orca ships. They served coffee, ice tea and bottled water if I remember correctly.

Capt Larry is an old salt that knows his whales and where they hang out. He even has names for them and can tell you about his previous encounters with them. The one whale that we had a close encounter with is one of his regular "girls". She put on quite a show for us, breeching and flapping her fins.

While Capt Larry like to give you the best experience he stays within the U.S. guideline about keeping the proper distance from the whales. Many times, like our experience, we would be drifting quite a distance from the whale, then they would move closer to us.

Capt Larry's crew are young college kids that are usually bio or science majors. They were very knowledgible about the whales and the area. They were very helpful in assisting passengers onto the ship and up on the upper viewing area. We had a family with several young (5-10 yo) kids. They were very watchful when the kids were on the outside deck.

We have been to Alaska four times with Princess cruises. Every time we have taken a whale watching trip. We have used Allen Marine and have no problems with their tour. But in 2007 we went with Harv and Marv. And all I can say is WOW! We rented the whole boat for just four of us. We could hear the whales breathe. That is something I never got to hear with the bigger boats. It was so personal. The company is a small family business, but they really put there customers first. We are going again with them June 3. I can not wait. If you look at their web site the pictures of July 25 2007 Are our tour. We saw that whale and the other boat in Jay's pictures had a large dog barking at the whales. It was amazing. Harv and Marv here we come again :) Deb Q

• 4 months later...

We did an excursion with AK Whale Watching using the tour saver in May and were extremely happy. Their front-office people (Jamie) and on-water experience (Louis) were both top-notch. I would highly recommend booking with Captain Louis and AK Whale Watching.

• 3 months later...
We're going to be in Juneau early June and would like to book a whale watching excursion. One of the operators I've been in contact with is Alaska Whale Watching/Alaska Trophy Fishing. I haven't seen much written about them here, and was wondering if anyone had done their whale watching excursion before? If so, would you recommend their excursion and why/why not? I'm a little nervous booking with someone without having known anything about the company. Thank you!

My family just took a cruise to Alaska in August, which was a truly unique lifetime experience for us. Asking about Alaska Whale Watching/Alaska Trophy Fishing, we didn't use this company but took the Orca Enterprises whale watching tour instead as some Cruise Critic members recommended. However it turned out to be a terrible experience for us. The female sales rep who handled our tour booking was very dishonest and even overcharged us for the fare, which she later admitted and my AMEX had to get involved to fix. A couple of minutes before we walked into their office from the cruise pier in Juneau, I called her via my cell phone to make sure that we would get onto the captain Larry's tour that is quite well known. And she said yes. Until boarding onto a shuttle bus, we didn't realize that instead of putting us on the boat we requested, they sent us to a smaller boat operated by another captain for a much shorter tour without any advanced notice. On the Orca's website they stated "We operate three tours daily, approximately 2 1/2 hours on the water, total duration 3 1/2 hours." We actually only had about 1 1/2 hour on the water. We got onto a shuttle bus around 9:30 AM and arrived at the docking port at about 10:00 AM to board, and then back to the dock again at 11:30 AM. Compared to the whale watching tours offered on the same day by other companies, we only saw much fewer whales from a very far distance. It is very likely we would have seen more whales if they didn't cut back our time and rush back. During the tour they were supposed to provide some Alaskan special snack food and beverages which was included in the fare and also mentioned on their website, but they didn't offer anything. After we were back from the cruise, I called Orca and tried to share our experience with its owner Carol, but she has never called me back. Given the overpriced fares they charged, we felt it was a complete rip-off. If anyone really has to use them, please make sure to take the longer tour. Otherwise you will be very disappointed for sure.

We have taken two tours with Orca - on our 2004 cruise and again this September. We did not have the same experience and it was a wonderful experience for us. I would have liked to have seen more whales but that is the luck of the draw.

Marion

Archived