Tuxedo or not?

southt00

Hello! Doing some research for DH. We are sailing Eurodam - Carribean. There are two formal nights. We are not sure whether or not to rent a tuxedo or bring a suit. I know the downfall of having to lug a suit and shoes to the ship. My question is: Approximately, what percentage of men wear tuxedos versus suites?

Thank you!

T.

The percentage varies greatly. It can be from 15% to 60% or higher. I believe it was toward the higher side on revneal's recent Eurodam sailing. If packing is a concern (and it is for all of us) then renting a tux is certainly the answer. You can order at cruiselineformal dot com.

Caribbean cruises will have less tuxedos than say longer European, Australian , etc cruises. My guess is around a third. Renting is best from a packing perspective but bringing a suit depends on your packing needs.

Hello! Doing some research for DH. We are sailing Eurodam - Carribean. There are two formal nights. We are not sure whether or not to rent a tuxedo or bring a suit. I know the downfall of having to lug a suit and shoes to the ship. My question is: Approximately, what percentage of men wear tuxedos versus suites?

Thank you!

T.

If your concern is a packing one, by all means, rent.

But if it is to fit in with the "look", there will be many more men in suits than tuxs.

So, I guess DH should go with what makes him comfortable. My DH gets the heebie jeebies from renting, so we lug the suit.

The percentage varies greatly. It can be from 15% to 60% or higher. I believe it was toward the higher side on revneal's recent Eurodam sailing. If packing is a concern (and it is for all of us) then renting a tux is certainly the answer. You can order at cruiselineformal dot com.

On my latest cruise I was aboard the Noordam, not the Eurodam. :) But, otherwise, you are correct: the percentage of Tuxedos on my latest Noordam 10-day Caribbean cruise was the highest I've seen in a couple of years ... the percentages were similar to what I saw in Northern Europe or on last year's Antarctica cruise.

As to the OP's question: you really can't go wrong either way. Personally, I am uncomfortable trusting the rental method because my dimensions are so far off the norm (I have a long torso and shorter legs). Hence, I own and bring my own Tuxedo, etc. If your husband isn't uncomfortable renting, I would suggest doing so and thereby avoiding having to pack extra. If your husband would just prefer to wear his own suit, then I'd do that. As I said, you can't go wrong either way. This is particularly true since one can never tell what the percentage break-downs will be (suit/tux). As Jim said, I've seen as low as 15% in Tuxedos and as high at 75%, or more ... yes, even in the Caribbean.

'RevNeal' -- I whole heartedly concur with the large number of men wearing tuxes at 'The Good Nuts' cruise, this was the largest percentage that I've experienced on my previous three Maasdam cruises.

The cruise just prior had a far lower percentage of tuxes, perhaps 25%, vs 50 - 60% on the 'Good Nuts' cruise.

To the OP, I have rented tuxes from the previously mentioned site, with no issues ---- I wouldn't hesitate to do so again!!

I prefer renting each time because I would need about 3 different sizes of tuxes (fat, fatter and fattest) to accomodate my eating habits. ;)

It's bad enough that I have to have the above sizes in my suits and sports coats ---- perhaps the salt air encourages shrinking !! :cool:

Just a thought,

Gord

We were on Eurodam in December.

DH wore his tux -- I would say about 40% of men did also.

We were in Early Seating. Some people say that late seating brings out more tuxes. I don't know if that was true on our sailing or not; but there were quite a few very well dressed, handsome men.;)

I don't know if that was true on our sailing or not; but there were quite a few very well dressed, handsome men.;)

No matter how well I'm dressed, I don't remember being described as 'Handsome' for 2-3 decades. LOL.

At any rate, I like to wear my Tux, and even cruising only 1 (maybe 2) time(s) a year, I found it cheaper to purchase a decent one than to rent.

For longer cruises it's an even better deal packing-wise. One tuxedo works for every formal night of a 10+ day cruise... Not sure you could 'tastefully' say the same for a Jacket/slacks combo. ;)

I'm eagerly awaiting our Ryndam cruise next month to see how it goes. I was debating leaving the tux at home for a change, but after seeing these posts I'm going to "pack it in"... literally... in my garment bag! :p

I was on the Noordam recently (10-day Caribbean). For our seating at dinner tuxes were in the vast majority (I didn't go check out the dining room all evening). From what I'd been led to believe here, I was surprised, but very pleased.

On our recent cruise on Veendam, Tuxes were very much in the minority. Personally I like to dress up occaisionally and put the tux I own to good use. On this trip though, I thought it was kind of a short cruise, (7 days), to be packing a tux, so a nice suit filled the bill. Turned out to be the right decision. We expect to be cruising again in May in Europe. The tux will make that trip for sure.

I am not going to debate which to wear, but I am curious, how is it easier to pack a suit than a tux?:confused: IMHO and experience, either one takes up the same amount of space as the other in a suitcase. Again just my opinion and worth what you pay for it!

In all candor, for what you'd pay to rent the tux, you can buy one. Look around at your local formal wear shops -- I bet they'll sell you a tux for about $150. Renting a tux at http://www.cruiselineformal.com will run you $85 - $160, add the shoes et al. and your at $100 - $175. The bottom line is that you're out about what it cost to rent, and if you wear it more than once you're ahead.

All that said, I rented a tuxon our last cruise. (I didn't wnat to hail my to Europe.) It was OK, but the shirts were pressed incorrectly which messed up how the tie lay and left a large amount of white showing above the "knot." The fit was OK, but the sleaves were just a bit long. I won;t do that again, I'll just lug my own tux and save the money. I would suggest renting shoes, just to save room in the suit case.

I am from the "old school" and on formal night I enjoy wearing a tux. While I do have my own formal clothes, with airlines charging for extra suitcases, I now rent. (one less outfit I have toworrly about) On my last cruise in Dec '08 my partner and myself were seated at a table for 10, and besides one other gentlemen, we were the only ones wearing a tux. I would say about 25% of the male passengers wore a tux. The rest wore dark suits/sport jackets some no jacket at all.

Good thread! So guys, do you bring 2 suits for a 7 night cruise, or just change the shirt and tie and wear the same jacket twice?

I just bring one charcoal suit and a couple of shirts and ties. When they had "informal" nights, I'd also bring a blazer, but those days are gone.

On our last cruise I would say about 30% of gentlemen were wearing tuxes.

DH brought one suit, and rented a tux( quality and fit were just fine) Also brought , dress shirt, formal vest and matching long tie ,so along with the wing collared shirt and cumberbund(comes with the rental) ,he had a few different formal looks. It all looked good to me:)

MY DH is still up in the air about what to bring on the Noordam, but has brought tuxes in the past. (Of course it might be because he is yet to decide how tight it is on him). Glad to hear that there were more tuxes on your Noordam cruise Revneal. I agree that usually there are more tuxes at late seating. Also, it is a bargain to buy a tux if you wear it at least 2 times. The great thing about them is that they never really go out of style if you stay classic. The most you may want to do is buy a new shirt and cummerbund/tie every once in a while.

Archived