Help me assuage my guilt, LOL

MamaParrotHead

So, I'm taking the kids on their first cruise. Normally when it's DH and I, we plan atleast a short tour of whatever port we're in, followed by beaching it and/or a bit of shopping.

This time, with the kids (who will be 6 and 10 when we sail), I don't think guided tours will be up their alley. Although we have some great experiences planned (swimming with dolphins and stingrays, learning to snorkel, going on a manatee watch), I'm trying not to feel guilty. One of the main reasons, besides the lack-of-interest factor that I'm not wanting to do guided tours is also because of the lack of SEATBELT factor in the places we're going to. I don't mind a quick jaunt in a taxi to the beach or something, but galavanting around the countryside would make me nervous.

Anyway, I just wanted some other mommies to tell me it was OK, LOL. I'm trying to work in some educational value into the cruise, I'm hoping the life experience itself is as valuable as some guided tour. LOL

Any input is greatly appreciated.

You're feeling guilty about what--NOT spending a bunch of money on excursions???? Just go to the beach or stay on the ship and use the ship's pool (you've paid for it already!!!!--And, it'll be nearly empty!)

Your kids are LUCKY to be going on a cruise at all! You have nothing to feel guilty about! Jeez.

I think you would have found the guided tours to be rather uninteresting to your children. Perhaps you can find some historical information on your own before you go on the cruise and enrich them then. I think they will enjoy just being there much more interesting then the historical value; plus, when we went on the stingray swim with my kids in Grand Cayman, the guides were very knowledgable on the animals and educated my children in the water as he was holding the stingray. That to me is more memorable and helps the knowledge stick more than a tour guide blah blah blahing... :)

Not all education comes from hearing a history lecture about the roots of a place and its people.

My kids (cruising since they were 5 & 7) have always found it VERY educational just to go to a different part of the world and open their eyes and look around at how the houses are built, how the people look and act, and try some of the local foods and experiences.

As for excursions, I think we've learned more doing tours of wildlife parks or snorkeling with sea creatures or other things that we can't do at home than we have learned in any history/island tour.

Plus, as an added bonus for their education, don't forget that they get to learn and practice how to behave in public situations, including dinners that may be more fancy than you're used to, even if you don't do the whole "formal night" thing.

They'll see shows and meet other people from all around the country and all around the world. The kids clubs are a great place where they'll make friends from other places. My shy (now 11-year-old) son made a great friend on Adventure last February and they talked a lot about how school was different between New Hampshire and Michigan.

And one more comment: BECAUSE we've given the kids opportunities to see other parts of the world, they have been GREAT at participating back home at school with first-hand reports when they study different areas. The middle school teachers have taken to calling both boys (now 11 and 13) their little "world travelers".

So - even though I'm not a mommy - I want you to know it's more than just OK to take your kids on a cruise. There are SO many ways to be educated!

As a science teacher, I think these activities are soo much more educational

swimming with dolphins and stingrays, learning to snorkel, going on a manatee watch

than these

a short tour of whatever port we're in, followed by beaching it and/or a bit of shopping.

What they learn from dolphins, stingrays and manatees will be applicable to other animals and other environments. Their experiences and understanding of other species that many other children never get.

IMO what you've planned is VERY educational.

I agree with the other responses here. Your kids will be learning so much on the cruise that you will be amazed! There is more to life than history. Think of all the other areas of life that they will be experiencing first hand.

No guilt! Enjoy!;)

What they learn from dolphins, stingrays and manatees will be applicable to other animals and other environments. Their experiences and understanding of other species that many other children never get.

IMO what you've planned is VERY educational.

I second this and add that they'll probably actually absorb and remember (and therefore truly learn) more from these activities in which they are interested and actively engaged than they would from an island tour that bored them silly. History and culture can be very interesting (and therefore memorable) to kids, but usually not in the form of a sit-on-the-bus-and-listen-to-a-guide tour.

A couple of non-excursion things you can do to turn it int omore 'eduation' are have your youngest practice their reading on brochures or street signs etc (depending on where you are goind). I also have my older one be the "map" person. EVen if we know where we are going it is a good chance to learn about directions etc.

I completely agree that the excursions you are going on sound fun and educational.

Thanks, everyone! (moms AND dads ;)). I just wanted to make sure I was making the right decisions. I don't know how often we'll be able to finanically swing cruises for all of us, so I want to make the most of the time we have!

You've gotten lots of good feedback. The bottom line is that no matter what you do, your children will get the experience of being in new places with you. What they will get out of it besides "the bells and whistles" of cruising is knowing that a family can have learning experiences simply by spending time traveling. That's important too.

beachchick

Archived