Maho Beach Questions

davethomasowns

Hello!

My girlfriend and I will be in St. Martin on Wednesday, Mar 11. We are arriving on the Carnival Liberty and will be there from 7am-5pm. I have a couple questions from anybody who has been there before.

1) Is there any way to know if there will be large planes landing at Maho Beach on that date? This is the most important thing to us. I really want to see large aircraft landing.

2) How far from Maho Beach is Orient Beach? If we have time, I would also like to spend a little time here.

3) With that being said, my goal is to take a taxi to Maho Beach and watch some planes land. Then grab a taxi to Orient Beach (will they be available?) and spend a little time there. Then take a taxi back to the ship.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Shane

Thanks for posting the link but I am a little confused with what it's showing. When it says "Final City" is that where the planes landing? How do I see what planes are landing at Princess Juliana International Airport on March 11th?

Sorry if I am just reading it incorrectly.. :o

I think Air France comes in at around 2-2:30. I would go check their web site directly for info. I haven't been there in a while but they used to operate the largest plane that comes into SXM. It is something to see. Orient Beach is beautiful but can be really crowded depending on the number of ships in port.

Does anyone know if Sunset Beach Bar is open again? Anyone ever stay at the Beachside Villas. I wondered if they are still there. Years ago was a nice little place with a view of the runway.

I think Air France comes in at around 2-2:30. I would go check their web site directly for info. I haven't been there in a while but they used to operate the largest plane that comes into SXM. It is something to see. Orient Beach is beautiful but can be really crowded depending on the number of ships in port.

Does anyone know if Sunset Beach Bar is open again? Anyone ever stay at the Beachside Villas. I wondered if they are still there. Years ago was a nice little place with a view of the runway.

If you would follow the threads here, including postings just a few before yours, you would be able to easily check schedules and equipment. Air France stopped flying 747's into SXM years ago. They do an Airbus now.

Corsair still flys the 747.

No, Sunset Beach Bar has closed. Check the discussions on this board.

Beachside Villas is a great place to stay. We love it there. I have some photos posted over in my PhotoBucket. Not such a great view of the runway, though.

gary

Gary -

You confusing us ... on a similar thread a few minutes ago, you said "The 'Sunset Bar and Grill' is open." and here you say "Sunset Beach Bar has closed."

I've been reading enough to know that the bar was closed and has now reopened under new owners, but why make it difficult for the OP of this thread?

The owner of the original Sunset Beach Bar was arrested on tax evasion charges (which makes him eligible to work in the Obama cabinet). The place was closed and almost wrecked in last fall's hurricane. The new operators have now rebuilt and it is now running at the same location. We were last there in late November and it was 3/4 rebuilt at the time; they were working on the stage area.

So you can head there for the airplane show.

I miss the 747s but only Corsair still runs them. And I think Corsair is a charter operation. KLM and Air France now use Airbus planes.

If you would follow the threads here, including postings just a few before yours, you would be able to easily check schedules and equipment. Air France stopped flying 747's into SXM years ago. They do an Airbus now.

Corsair still flys the 747.

No, Sunset Beach Bar has closed. Check the discussions on this board.

Beachside Villas is a great place to stay. We love it there. I have some photos posted over in my PhotoBucket. Not such a great view of the runway, though.

gary

So...Beachside Villas is still there! We had a great time there back in 2002 and wasn't sure if they made it thru the hurricane okay. We have some pretty good family stories from our stay there. They used to have a small set of bleachers near the fence of the runway to watch the planes come in. The kids loved it. Gary, any idea what time the 747 from Corsair does come in? And, to be clear...the Sunset Beach Bar is now the Sunset Bar Grill?

Hello!

My girlfriend and I will be in St. Martin on Wednesday, Mar 11. We are arriving on the Carnival Liberty and will be there from 7am-5pm. I have a couple questions from anybody who has been there before.

1) Is there any way to know if there will be large planes landing at Maho Beach on that date? This is the most important thing to us. I really want to see large aircraft landing.

2) How far from Maho Beach is Orient Beach? If we have time, I would also like to spend a little time here.

3) With that being said, my goal is to take a taxi to Maho Beach and watch some planes land. Then grab a taxi to Orient Beach (will they be available?) and spend a little time there. Then take a taxi back to the ship.

Shane

You can do this, but you will need to reverse the order. It is easy to get a cab to Orient, but not as easy to get one from Orient to Maho and then back to port. We were able to find a driver at Orient that was willing to take us [they are on opposite ends of the island so not everyone wants to make the trip]. He also lined up another driver to take us back to the port at a designated time. It is easy to catch a taxi at the port and at Orient, but not necessarily at Maho. You would want to make sure you have arrangements to get back to port from there. It is well worth the trip to Maho to see the planes. I have read many great reviews about some tour guides who include both stops as part of their tour. For what we paid in taxi fare going from place to place, it would have cost less to take the tour and have confidence we would get back on time. Fortunately we did alright on our own and had a great time.

So...Beachside Villas is still there! We had a great time there back in 2002 and wasn't sure if they made it thru the hurricane okay. We have some pretty good family stories from our stay there. They used to have a small set of bleachers near the fence of the runway to watch the planes come in. The kids loved it. Gary, any idea what time the 747 from Corsair does come in? And, to be clear...the Sunset Beach Bar is now the Sunset Bar Grill?

A link to Kal's schedule of the big jet activity.

http://www.bywindkal.com/SXMJets.html

Sunset Bar is alive! I even went there last friday for a drink and a dance. It's fully renovated now. And if you want free drinks, go sit topless at the bar :D (woman only of course).

Corsairfly is only coming in on sunday, monday and thursday.

Hello!

Shane

My girlfriend and I really want to go to Maho Beach to see the airplanes land too! Are you guys going on any excursions that day or just take cabs around the city? We also want to go to Orient Beach!!

Drew

GF and I will also be on the Liberty that week. I have seen the planes land from Maho on other trips and it's very cool, even if it's only an Airbus 320 or a 757. To see 747s, 777s or 330s is fabulous.

Hint: Don't stand up against the fence to watch planes taking off unless you like a lot of sand in your eyes and smelling like JP4 jet fuel.

I have always found it more convenient and cheaper overall to rent a car and do a driving cruise around the island if I'm going more than one place.

Traffic can be pretty hectic though

Liberty gets in early to St Maarten so it can be a pretty full day.

I find Maho just to be a plane watching and Sunset Bar beer drinki' beach...not that there's anything wrong with that. :-)

GF and I will also be on the Liberty that week. I have seen the planes land from Maho on other trips and it's very cool, even if it's only an Airbus 320 or a 757. To see 747s, 777s or 330s is fabulous.

<snip>

Wow, when did you catch the 777? Any photos?

gary

Wow, when did you catch the 777? Any photos?

gary

Nope to the 777...never saw one in there myself. Don't know who'd fly one there, but I was talking to a guy who said a British Airways one was diverted into there from St Kitts. No idea if it's true.

I was there on Feb. 12, 2009. We were on Bernard's tour & saw an American Airlines jet land sometime between 1:15 & 2:45pm. Totally Awesome!!:D

:D

Sunset Bar is alive! I even went there last friday for a drink and a dance. It's fully renovated now. And if you want free drinks, go sit topless at the bar :D (woman only of course).

Corsairfly is only coming in on sunday, monday and thursday.

I have been reading through these and have to ask, how easy is it to rent a car from the cruise terminal? Would it be worth it if Maho Beach was the destination, and to check out planes of course... Or, would a taxi to and from be best? We will be there on April 15th (tax day, yuck) on Carnival Glory. Any advise would be great. I was thinking of heading over there 1:00pm ish. Ship sails at 6:00p. Thanks in advance! :)

I have been reading through these and have to ask, how easy is it to rent a car from the cruise terminal? Would it be worth it if Maho Beach was the destination, and to check out planes of course... Or, would a taxi to and from be best? We will be there on April 15th (tax day, yuck) on Carnival Glory. Any advise would be great. I was thinking of heading over there 1:00pm ish. Ship sails at 6:00p. Thanks in advance! :)

I too have been going back & forth trying to figure out if a taxi will be the best way or book with Bernard again. By the time I pay for a taxi from the ship to Orient & Orient to Maho & Maho back to the ship & worry the whole day that the taxi will come back I've decided to book again with Bernard & leave my worrying to him. We used him in Feb. of 2008 & he was wonderful. I just didn't want to much time shopping & more time at Orient. I think at this point I would rather give up little beach time & know I have someone that will make sure I get to the ship on time. He also said if he had others that day that weren't really interested in the shopping that he would put us together. If you'd like his info. just let me know.

I found his website, and emailed a few questions... Hopefully someone there answers them! Thank You though, his tours sound like a lot of fun, and it seems like quite a few people enjoyed their time on his tours!

Archived