Leather Shops in Montevideo

dramaqueen4lyfe

No tour. Just a van ride that takes you to the leather stores that are a couple of blocks away fom the front gates. There is not much to see on the five minute ride--and you could walk to the shops if you wanted to.

We checked out the prices in one of the stores and then left. They were asking $500 plus US for men's leather jackets. We wouldn't pay that much at home for what we were looking at.

We headed out of the Old Town area and up to AV. 18 de julio where we more leather shops. There was a varied selection but a limited number in the larger sizes (XL, XXL). Still, the prices on what we checked out were higher than what we found in Buenos Aires.

In the end, I found a jacket on a sale rack in my size but I am sorry that I did not do more looking (and buying) in Buenos Aires.

Does anyone know if there is a differerence in quality - it seems there is in price - between the leather found in Montevideo and in Buenos Aires?

When we were in BA in the late nineties, my husband purchased a leather belt and I bought a purse. Both items are used frequently and both itmes are still wearing strong. In fact, we bought leather items in Florence that haven't held up nearly as well as what we bought in BA.

We'll be in both BA again and in Montevideo next February, and plan to do some leather shopping again in one of the ports.

Mary

There are a few stores with vans on the pier waiting to give you a ride downtown starting with a stop at their store. No obligation to go in. You can simply walk off and come back later for the return trip. I don't believe there are tours however.

In Rio some jewellry stores give you a tour that includes a stop at their store.

Archived