Solo...for 300%!!??!!

teach2travel

Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this trap? I got an email from an agency advertising a GREAT price on a RCCL transatlantic cruise for $349/pp + $100sbc. Wow...I had to seek further! I put myself in as a solo in an inside cabin and 1 got a price of $1089.00! I thought maybe it was a mistake, so I tried it with listing 2 people; it came to $349.00/pp. OK, maybe in my excitement I punched the wrong button. Tried it for a solo again and again got $1089.00.

I don't like, but understand 200%, but since when do we have to pay 300%? Needless to say, I will not be going on this cruise! Would love to hear if anyone else has ever encountered this type of price gouging before.

Just wondered if anyone else had encountered this trap? I got an email from an agency advertising a GREAT price on a RCCL transatlantic cruise for $349/pp + $100sbc. Wow...I had to seek further! I put myself in as a solo in an inside cabin and 1 got a price of $1089.00! I thought maybe it was a mistake, so I tried it with listing 2 people; it came to $349.00/pp. OK, maybe in my excitement I punched the wrong button. Tried it for a solo again and again got $1089.00.

I don't like, but understand 200%, but since when do we have to pay 300%? Needless to say, I will not be going on this cruise! Would love to hear if anyone else has ever encountered this type of price gouging before.

Why not just book it as if there will be 2 people in the cabin. That might also get you more OBC...just a thought.

Call a TA and have them look for you or get a hold of RCCL. Sometimes the online booking engines act strange. BTW, I am booked on a Spring RCCL TA and got great pricing for a single. Yes, it is 200% but the rates are so low or at least they were that it still is a good deal for a single or solo.

Best of luck

I was just coming here to post the same thing! $349 for a senior but when you put in one person it comes up over $1200. If you book a phantom person it comes to $698. I tried this on multiple web sites and it is the same on all. If they are losing money with such a low price I guess they are banking on expenditures from 2 people in the cabin. I just may book this. There is one cruise from FLL to Barcelona and one from FLL to Southampton. Anyone else considering this? I found airfare Barcelona to NY for about $400.

I was just coming here to post the same thing! $349 for a senior but when you put in one person it comes up over $1200. If you book a phantom person it comes to $698. I tried this on multiple web sites and it is the same on all. If they are losing money with such a low price I guess they are banking on expenditures from 2 people in the cabin. I just may book this. There is one cruise from FLL to Barcelona and one from FLL to Southampton. Anyone else considering this? I found airfare Barcelona to NY for about $400.

I called a TA and he priced GTY Z category for me for $563 solo and I booked it. It must have been a group rate. I am staying two nights in Barcelona and one way plane ticket from Barcelona to Albuquerque was $557 through Orbitz.

Did you check with a TA?

I just booked this cruise too. Did you book a hotel in Barcelona yet Elsje? I am researching that now. I booked Swiss Air from Barcelona to JFK for Sat May 2, $484. I am headed to look for our roll call.

Just found your post! Yes I booked 2 nights at Hesperia Sant Just $225 for both nights inclusive of taxes and fees through PriceLine. It is 56 miles from barcelona Centre and 10 minutes to the airport. I am planning on taking excursions so I will be picked up from the hotel and/or the one that leaves from the ship. I am on Aer Lingus to Dublin/Chicago and then AA to Albuquerque

Els and fellow solos, I haven't been monitoring this thread very closely and just saw your post. As you know, I did book this cruise and we have been chatting on the roll call.

I ended up paying $668 for a single outside, no more insides available when I booked but only $100 more was a great deal. It comes to less than $50 dollars a day!

I think times are a changing for us solos that can still afford to cruise, especially if you can be happy with a lower category cabin and/or you are a senior.

Archived