My Experience Eating Lunch in the Dining Room at Embarkation Aboard the Sapphire

Sailfish

[quote name='rcacace'] since it's usually the only day they get a few hours off for personal needs.[/quote]

Very few have much time off on turnaround day.

And some are assigned to service the dining room during lunchtime, so since they are already there working, there should be no reason to keep people from entering the room during the posted hours.

[quote name='caribill']It is a typical ship lunch menu for the dining room. Nothing really special for the first day.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, but I am not familiar with the typical lunch menu in the dining room. Any more details of what is served, thanks.

[quote name='swdke']Thanks, but I am not familiar with the typical lunch menu in the dining room. Any more details of what is served, thanks.[/quote]
Typical lunch menue shown below. Click on image to enlarge. I hope it is readable.

[quote name='caribill']Very few have much time off on turnaround day.

And some are assigned to service the dining room during lunchtime, so since they are already there working, there should be no reason to keep people from entering the room during the posted hours.[/QUOTE]

I have never seen as many of the crew member leaving the ship at other ports as in Fort Lauderdale. There are so many crew getting off the ship to shop there are even shuttle bus's that are in the business of taking them shopping. I have never see that in other ports. And yes they are some working so there shouldn't be any excuse for you not to eat in the DR. - [B]but there is. [/B].

[quote name='rcacace']I have never seen as many of the crew member leaving the ship at other ports as in Fort Lauderdale. There are so many crew getting off the ship to shop there are even shuttle bus's that are in the business of taking them shopping. I have never see that in other ports. And yes they are some working so there shouldn't be any excuse for you not to eat in the DR. - [B]but there is. [/B].[/quote]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]but there is???? And the rest of the story?[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ron[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='sunshine426']We weren't going to cruise at all this year, but the prices got us. We've wanted to do this itenerary for several years so it felt like a win win to us. Have a great time in Hawaii, are you going to scuba dive? I think you told me that scuba diving was not the best on the Mexican Riveria cruises, would you say that also about the snorkeling?

Tell the family Hello from us and who is Jack?

Karen[/QUOTE]

Scuba diving in Mexico is not great. The water will be cold and the visibility is just OK. I would say the same thing about snorkeling. I have not gone diving in over two years so don't know if I will ever go back to it. I am really rusty!!!

I work at Jack in the Box headquarters here in San Diego. That is the Jack!!! :D

And I will tell everyone hello -- please tell Rich I send my best!

[quote name='caribill']It is a typical ship lunch menu for the dining room. Nothing really special for the first day.[/QUOTE]

I disagree,the menu has delicious chicken cacciatore and I have never seen that dish in the normal lunch rotation except on embarkation day.The ravioli is also quite good.

[quote name='johnmik1']I disagree,the menu has delicious chicken cacciatore and I have never seen that dish in the normal lunch rotation except on embarkation day.The ravioli is also quite good.[/QUOTE]

So what you're saying is that it's the same as any other lunch in the DR- no better, no worse. The only advantage is that you can sit down & be served instead of bucking the crowd at the buffet.

[quote name='rcacace']So what you're saying is that it's the same as any other lunch in the DR- no better, no worse. The only advantage is that you can [B]sit down & be served instead of bucking the crowd at the buffet[/B].[/quote]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][B]
Bucking the crowd at the buffet = huge advantage!!!![/B][/COLOR]

[quote name='rcacace']So what you're saying is that it's the same as any other lunch in the DR- no better, no worse. The only advantage is that you can sit down & be served instead of bucking the crowd at the buffet.[/QUOTE]

NO! I am saying that the entree choice is one that is rarely served and it is much better!

[quote name='Miss Tracey Lacey']I wonder if this is something they used to have and took away and are now bringing back?

My first and only cruise was on the Sapphire and I had lunch on embarkation day, and the dining room was full! That was in 2008[/QUOTE]

It was announced in Jan of 2008.

[quote name='Miss Tracey Lacey']I wonder if this is something they used to have and took away and are now bringing back?

My first and only cruise was on the Sapphire and I had lunch on embarkation day, and the dining room was full! That was in 2008[/QUOTE]

[quote name='rcacace']Not really, I've had it a number of times.[/QUOTE]

245 days on Princess and I have only seen it on embarkation day and I check the dining room menu every day.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]I have never seen chicken cacciatori on the normal menu. They also have, as I mentioned before, a great salmon dish that I have never seen on the regular menu. The embarkation day dishes are better than the everyday menu dishes - or maybe it is just the excitement of starting on another GREAT Princess cruise.[/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3][/SIZE][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=3]Ron[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='johnmik1']245 days on Princess and I have only seen it on embarkation day and I check the dining room menu every day.[/QUOTE]

Maybe you're right.....it must have been at the buffet where I've eaten it. I'll have to review my old menu's.

[quote name='johnmik1']245 days on Princess and I have only seen it on embarkation day and I check the dining room menu every day.[/quote]

260 days and I agree - have you tried the salmon dish on embarkation? If I recall they only have about two or three selections and none of them are on the normal everyday menu. Not only do I check the menu we eat there everyday.

Ron

[quote name='coiran']260 days and I agree - have you tried the salmon dish on embarkation? If I recall they only have about two or three selections and none of them are on the normal everyday menu. Not only do I check the menu we eat there everyday.

Ron[/QUOTE]

They had the salmon dish last week on Star but I an not a big salmon fan.I remember some time back ,someone on this board talking about the chicken caccitore and knew I had never seen that on a lunch menu.Last year we did a back to back before the dining room option on embarcation was offered and there it was on the intransit day.If it wasn't for that dish that I would probably get the great pizza.I also prefer the dining room for lunch as they always have great pastas.

[quote name='spingal']Scuba diving in Mexico is not great. The water will be cold and the visibility is just OK. I would say the same thing about snorkeling. I have not gone diving in over two years so don't know if I will ever go back to it. I am really rusty!!!

I work at Jack in the Box headquarters here in San Diego. That is the Jack!!! :D

And I will tell everyone hello -- please tell Rich I send my best![/quote]

Thanks for the word on scuba and snorkeling. I thought that is what you told me before. I had all sorts of ideas on "Jack";), I should have looked at the logo!! Maybe you need to expand to Atlanta.

[quote name='johnmik1']They had the salmon dish last week on Star but I an not a big salmon fan.I remember some time back ,someone on this board talking about the chicken caccitore and knew I had never seen that on a lunch menu.Last year we did a back to back before the dining room option on embarcation was offered and there it was on the intransit day.If it wasn't for that dish that I would probably get the great pizza.I also prefer the dining room for lunch as they always have great pastas.[/quote]

I don't care much for the pizzas on the Grand Class ships - now the pizza on the Sun class and Regal, where they had a separate pizzeria, were excellent pizzas.

Ron

Before our first cruise(on the Island Princess) I thought I had more than enough opportunities to eat pizza at home, than on a cruise. Somehow, that trip changed my mind. I am not sure if it is that we can't get the best Pizza in Atlanta, or if it is just cruise fever, but Princess Pizza has us hooked. We have a cruise booked in November and we are already talking about our first slice of pizza on embarkation day. I think I need to get a life:D Of course the bucket of beer always helps......

[quote name='sunshine426']I had all sorts of ideas on "Jack";)[/QUOTE]

I wish!!!! LOL!

[quote name='sunshine426']Maybe you need to expand to Atlanta.[/QUOTE]

Someday!! :D This year we expanded to New Mexico and Colorado. Indy and Kansas City are on the list for next year!

[quote name='sunshine426']Before our first cruise(on the Island Princess) I thought I had more than enough opportunities to eat pizza at home, than on a cruise. Somehow, that trip changed my mind. I am not sure if it is that we can't get the best Pizza in Atlanta, or if it is just cruise fever, but Princess Pizza has us hooked. We have a cruise booked in November and we are already talking about our first slice of pizza on embarkation day. I think I need to get a life Of course the bucket of beer always helps......[/QUOTE]

YUM!!!!!!! I love Princess pizza too!!!

[quote name='Schplinky']Well, staying in and cleaning your room while you're at the pool is a bad deal for them, too. Do you clean your own room every few days and tell the staff to skip yours? I honestly dont' understand this idea that it's a bad deal for the staff to be asked to provide the services that the line offers. Do you leave the disco at midnight and tell the DJ that you were sure he'd want to go to bed earlier?[/quote]

Now you mention it on one cruise last year I was in the Disco by myself and just after midnight the DJ said he would be quite happy to close since it was so quiet. I agrred and so off he went!

Archived