If Princess Served

Shogun

I'd like to think that I would try it but I'm not sure. I admit I'm also not fond of sausage in natural casing, either.

However, Scotland is my most favorite country to vacation in and I love all things Scottish (my Nana was born and raised in Dunfermliine), so who knows, give me some Scotch and I might try anything!

If Princess served Haggis on Burns Night would you try it,

yours Shogun

Nay, laddie, I dinna think I'll do that. but I like idea of the haggis coming into the dining room to the skirls of a Scottish piper,

For those of you who don't know Robert Burns was a Scottish poet. Reaching to my bookcase, I find the wee volume of his poetry - here's what he wrote of haggis:

scan0001.jpg.740c7d04cb9beb19fc51ce157f9c90de.jpg

Haggis is a traditional Irish dish.

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

Haggis somewhat resembles stuffed intestines (pig intestines otherwise known as chitterlings or the kokoretsi of traditional Balkan cuisine), sausages and savoury puddings of which it is among the largest types. As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour."[1]

Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a casing rather than an actual stomach. There are also meat-free recipes for vegetarians.

Haggis is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties" (Scots: swede, yellow turnip or rutabaga and potatoes, boiled and mashed separately) and a "dram" (i.e. a glass of Scotch whisky), especially as the main course of a Burns supper. However it is also often eaten with other accompaniments, or served with a Whisky-based sauce.

You're welcome.

I would eat chocolate covered bugs, but I can't bring myself to eat Kim-Chee (actually afraid of the afterburn;)) which my sister loves.

But Haggis just sounds too much like Hags ass which reminds me of a witches' butt (and probably tastes like it too).:eek:

Jim

I would eat chocolate covered bugs, but I can't bring myself to eat Kim-Chee (actually afraid of the afterburn;)) which my sister loves.

But Haggis just sounds too much like Hags ass which reminds me of a witches' butt (and probably tastes like it too).:eek:

Jim

LOL! I was thinking the same thing! No flickers, tickers or lickers for me!:p

http://www.rabbie-burns.com/the_supper/index.cfm.html

Hi All,

A link with some info for you , a Burns supper is a great way to spend an evening with friends, and make many more.

yours

Shogun

Try haggis, neeps (mashed swede) and tatties (mashed potaotoes) in a small portion as a starter - lovely.

Burns Suppers are held all over the world, from Russia to China and beyond to celebrate the life of the famous Scottish Bard.

Haggis is a traditional Irish dish.

There are many recipes, most of which have in common the following ingredients: sheep's 'pluck' (heart, liver and lungs), minced with onion, oatmeal, suet, spices, and salt, mixed with stock, and traditionally boiled in the animal's stomach for approximately three hours.

Haggis somewhat resembles stuffed intestines (pig intestines otherwise known as chitterlings or the kokoretsi of traditional Balkan cuisine), sausages and savoury puddings of which it is among the largest types. As the 2001 English edition of the Larousse Gastronomique puts it, "Although its description is not immediately appealing, haggis has an excellent nutty texture and delicious savoury flavour."[1]

Most modern commercial haggis is prepared in a casing rather than an actual stomach. There are also meat-free recipes for vegetarians.

Haggis is traditionally served with "neeps and tatties" (Scots: swede, yellow turnip or rutabaga and potatoes, boiled and mashed separately) and a "dram" (i.e. a glass of Scotch whisky), especially as the main course of a Burns supper. However it is also often eaten with other accompaniments, or served with a Whisky-based sauce.

You're welcome.

Hmm, different than the history I know of. My previous experience with the history is that is is Roman in origin and brought over to Scotland before Scotland was even officially a country, though there are similar dishes in countries all around the world. I personally haven't seen nearly as many places serving it in Ireland as I have in Scotland.

The haggis is frequently assumed to be Scottish in origin though there is little evidence for this, and food writer Alan Davidson states that the Ancient Romans were the first people known to have made products of the haggis type. A kind of primitive haggis is referred to in Homer's Odyssey, in book 20, when Odysseus is compared to "a man before a great blazing fire turning swiftly this way and that a stomach full of fat and blood, very eager to have it roasted quickly."

Clarissa Dickson Wright repudiates the assumption of a Scottish origin for haggis, claiming that it "came to Scotland in a longship [ie. from Scandinavia] even before Scotland was a single nation." Dickson-Wright further cites etymologist Walter William Skeat as further suggestion of possible Scandinavian origins: Skeat claimed that the hag– part of the word is derived from the Old Norse hoggva or the Icelandic haggw, meaning 'to hew' or strike with a sharp weapon, relating to the chopped-up contents of the dish. One theory claims that the name "haggis" is derived from Norman French. Norman French was more guttural than normal French so that the "ch" of "hachis", i.e. "chopped", was pronounced as the "ch" in "loch", giving "haggis"

Caber - Oh my, I see you too have a pic for your fireplace :D

Hi Shogun - A word in your ear ....... how do you get an invite to the Chief's table and do they have one on the Diamond. Thanks ;)

Have a great pic can I send it to you somewhere?

Yes of course I would try Haggis :cool:

Sue :)

Hughdm Steak and kidney pie now that is a treat. Before my mom passed away she taught my wife how to make it and now we have it for New Years Day dinner each year.

My mother in law used to serve us it at midnight. That way it soaked up the alchohol. It`s traditional for New Year.

Archived