Anyone back from Majesty 11-13 yet?

dizneydawn

I am wondering if there is anyone back from the first western cruise aboard the Majesty?

How does she look after the drydock? How was your cruise? Did you eat in the pizza/hamburger bar? Do you have the Daily's?

Wow, I am just full of questions aren't I? ;)

Back from the Majesty 11-13 cruise. First time cruise for us. Me and DH stayed on Daniel Island two days before the cruise. The weather was beautiful for those two days. The morning to board the ship the weather was cold and very windy. Embarkment, well it probably went very well for a lot of people but the lady we were directed to was new on the job. She was confused on what to do on the computer and it took her about three different times to get us registered. I felt sorry for her. She kept telling us she was sorry it was taking her so long. I told her not to worry about it. We got on the ship and made our way around and we loved it. Sailing on Sat.,Sunday and Monday was rough. No straight walking for anyone. We stayed in 8-10 foot seas on those days. A lot of people were sick for those days but we did just fine. I wish I could comment on what they did in dry dock but it was the first time we saw the ship so I have nothing to compare it to. We did eat at the Piazza San Marco Grill back of the ship. No complaints. We ate at the Pasta Cafe' on Sunday night. It was our 25th anniversary and they had a cake and sang "Let Me Call You Sweet Heart". It was wonderful and we had a lively group around us and they make it special also. We also ate in the Four Seasons and it did take two hours to complete the meal. Did we mind, heck no we were on a crusie. We did go to the Palace Theater and we saw Rudi Macaggi perform. Me and DH loved it. Still laughing!! Pedro Serra was Cruise Director and Chris Butcher Asst. Cruise Director both were great. Our first port of call was George Town, Grand Cayman. I walked around Grand Cayman and you could still see the damage done by the hurricane. DH went scuba diving on a NCL excursion and loved it. They made a DVD of the dive and all I can say is "WOW!! The DVD is great. They add music to it and the photography is wonderful. Next stop was Cozumel. I walked around and did some shopping and DH went on another scuba dive. They did a DVD on this dive also but they will mail the DVD to us in about 2-3 weeks. Can't wait to see it. Last stop Key West. Both of us enjoyed Key West. Security was very tight when we got there. Me and DH enjoyed enjoyed this cruise and are ready to go back. I heard a lot of people complaining about a lot of different things. Me and DH did not let anything bother us. We sat back and enjoyed everything. Special thanks to Karl Hienz and Nestor Celso these guys did a fabulous job keeping the room. We were in cabin 823. Also another special thanks to May Malacad in the Rendezvous Lounge she was wonderful. If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

We will be leaving out of Charleston on the Majesty on Dec. 11th on our first cruise. I'd like to know what time you arrived at the dock and what time you were able to board the ship. Was the water rough leaving Charleston? Where did you find the best souvenirs in the ports? Thanks for sharing!

We arrived around 9:30 that morning. Found a good parking place. They told us they would open the gate around 12:00. They opened the gate around 11:30 and we were on the ship around 12:20. Yes, it was very windy and cold in Charleston that morning. Shopping in the ports, I liked them all. I went to the Port talks they offered and they gave good information on where to shop. Parking was $84.00 for 7 days in Charleston. The water was rough leaving and stayed rough until Tuesday when we arrived in Grand Caymon.

We are leaving Saturday, December 4. Can you give me some detailed info on the parking situation? Where is the parking lot in relationship to the dock? Is it better to wait until near boarding time so you can drop baggage curbside, or is it easy to lug several suitcases and hand pieces from the parking area? Porters in the parking area? Do you pay on entry, or on exit? Do they take credit cards for the parking area?Thanks for any help!

ARussell,

Thanks for your review! I was wondering if you see on your Daily's anything about spanish tapas being served? I saw a Daily from last yr and they list them being served every night in the Rendezous Lounge from 6-8 pm? Did you happen to eat them any nights?

Thanks again!

The only parking area we found was on the street. We had been parked for about 15 minutes when a police officer parked behind us. After about an hour he got out of his car and came up to us and asked if we were getting on the ship. We told him yes and he stated we were doing a smart thing. He was parked there because he would be directing traffic. After the gate opens you will go in and pass security. Then you will drive up to a man and he will take cash or travels checks for parking, no credit card. Then you will be directed to another area where they will take your luggage at that time. Next you will be directed into a large warehouse where you will park your vehicle. A van or large bus will pick you up and take you to the terminal. I did not see any porters at any time. You go into the terminal to get registered and after they are finished you are directed to an area to sit until time to board the ship. They had water and juice if you wanted any. We did not have to sit because as soon as we were finished we were told we could board the ship. When we arrived back to Charleston and we were getting our luggage they have a lot of porters to help you with your luggage.

I went through all the Daily's but did not see anything about them serving spanish tapas.

ARussell,

Thank You for your review and all the helpful information on parking.

Like DizneyDawn, my DH and I will also be on the the Majesty this Saturday. If anyone has any specific questions feel free to ask and I will do my best to get the answers for you.

cal101 - What excursions do you have planned on your trip? What night is the chocolate buffet? What time to you plan to board the ship? We're driving down from Greenville for our cruise on 12/11 and would like to have lunch on the ship if possible. I hope you have a wonderful cruise!!

My husband and I will be on the cruise leaving on Dec. 11. I was wondering which night was formal night? Did you go to any beaches in Cozmel or Grand Cayman and if so which one would you recomend? How was the nightlife? Was the disco a good place to go dance? Thanks

ready2goindec - We did not prebook any excursions. This will be our second time doing this itinerary, although we have been told we will not be going to Grand Cayman this time due to the severe hurricane damage and will be going into Cancun, Mexico instead. Last time in Grand Cayman we booked the Stingray City and snorkel tour with Captain Marvin (not through the ship). Sorry I do not have the website address, but if you go to the Ports of Call board and click on Cayman Islands you will find several threads on Stingray City and several about Captain Marvin. We had a great time! He is less expensive and you will have no more that 30 people vs a possible 100 on the ships tour. Do you know if you are going into Grand Cayman?

We also did the trolly tour in Key West last time. This time we are traveling with 20 people and will go with the flow. I have heard talk of possibly doing a pub crawl in Key West.

We plan on leaving Greenville around 7:30 am on Sat so that we will be able to board as soon as we can. I will check on the day for the Chocolate Buffet for you.

We return on Dec 4th. I will try and post as soon as possible, but you can call me if you wish. You can find me in the Greenville phone book, we are the only Henry B Leonard listed. You can also email me.

RDH - Since I have not sailed yet I cannot answer your questions, but will do so as soon as I return on Dec 4th.

Carol

My husband and I will be on the cruise leaving on Dec. 11. I was wondering which night was formal night? Did you go to any beaches in Cozmel or Grand Cayman and if so which one would you recomend? How was the nightlife? Was the disco a good place to go dance? Thanks

A friend and I are scheduled for the Dec 11th. I have never been on a ship so I am really looking forward to it. I have read so many posts - good and bad - that I am keeping low expectations so I don't think I'll be disappointed. I've read everything from the fact that we won't be able to see out of the windows or that they will be partially obstructed by lifeboats or that the food is marginal or the boat shakes. So I figure that's all o.k. and we'll just see what's what. I really just want to relax and if I am understanding correctly, this is a good boat to do this on.

I've read on this thread that a couple from GVL SC are leaving GVL for Chstn at 7:30 a.m. - We're about an hour from GVL so I guess we should leave about 6:30? Do we need to be there right at noon, I wonder? Also, I wander if, once you've checked in at the terminal, are you free to leave the pier and walk back in town? I have some friends I'd like to visit if that's possible.

I also wonder if anyone plays cards on ships anymore? I sure would love to catch up on my bridge that I don't have time to play anymore.

The only other thing I can't quite get straight in my head: I'm wondering if it's possible to pack everything in a foot locker (like summer camp) as opposed to various luggage? It sure would be easier but only if there's someone handy to haul it about. I can get a trunk into the car easily enough but I can't see dragging it about all over the place.

Anyway - very excited - and looking forward to a new experience. At my age, I'm not sure there are too many new ones left!

Any suggestions or ideas are appreciated.

Tim

TIM

WE JUST FOR BACK FROM THE 11-13 SAILING AND WHAT A GREAT TIME! THERE WAS A PLACE EVERYDAY FOR YOU TO PLAY BRIDGE WITH OTHER PASSANGERS AND ALSO THE ONLY TIME THAT YOU HAVE TO HANDLE YOUR LUGGAGE IS TO PUT IN YOUR CAR THEY TAKE IT FROM YOUR CAR AND YOU DO NOT SEE IT AGAIN UNTIL IT IS DELIVERED TO YOUR ROOM THE NIGHT BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE SHIP YOU SIT IT OUTSIDE YOUR DOOR AND THEN YOU PICK IT UP WHEN YOU GET TO YOUR CAR YOU SHOULD BE FINE AND I HOPE YOU HAVE A GREAT TIME:p

Thanks, Smith02. I expect to have a good time. We usually go abroad at Christmastime but with the dollar . . . no need to get into that . . . but at first I was kind of thinking this was a compromise trip but I go to sleep thinking about it every night so I really am looking forward to it with great anticipation. Everyone has advised me (friends who cruise often) to keep a low expectation and an open mind and I will have a much better time than if I have pre-conceived notions and unrealistic expectations. But it's difficult not to think that this will be a bit exciting. Plus I really am pleased with the notion of driving to Chstn and getting on a boat. Flying pretty much takes the bloom off anything these days. So I can't imagine a better way to start a trip. Tim

When you said there was a place everyday where one could play bridge with other passengers: is there someone who actually arranges this or is it a casual agreement amongst the passengers? I mean, do you bump into someone and find out they play bridge and try to find two more or is this an actual activity? Thanks, Tim

Formal night - 11-14 (Sunday) - Captain's Gala Dinner

I did not go to any beaches but a friend of mine did go to a beach in Cozumel. I can't remember which one, sorry. She loved it!

Nightlife was good. On Sunday night at 11:15 pm 70's Night Funkalicious Groove Party. It was great!! Monday night at 10:30 pm 50's & 60's Rock & Roll Sock Hop. Tuesday at 10:30 pm Caribbean Deck Party, Wednesday at 10:30 pm Country & Western Saloon Night.

We had a good time in the disco. I hope you do.

We were on the 11/13 Majesty sailing, also. Embarkation was a breeze. We did the same cruise last year. I got directions from the South Carolina State Ports Authority website and we had no problems. Dropped our luggage and parked the truck and shuttled to the ship and had almost no wait. We were on board by 12:00 noon. Pedro, the CD was the friendliest we have ever had. Most of them are funny and nice while on stage, but aren't necessarily friendly. Pedro stopped to chat with people. Saturday night was pretty rough sailing. Sunday was somewhat better. Sunday night, I don't think anyone slept. It was really rough. We were near the bow of the ship and felt the ship rise up with the waves and then smack back down. Monday was better. The weather wasn't as cool as last year. We were in shorts and swimsuits on Sunday. It was breezy and a bit cool but nice. At embarkation, we were told we would be going to Grand Cayman afterall, not Cancun. Tuesday we got to GC. The water was choppy and it was windy. Had lots of trouble getting settled before anchoring. (The anchor must have been just outside our window!) Finally got tendered in about 10:00 -10:30. We took a taxi to Seven Mile Beach. $4pp each way. The cabbie said most all excursions were up and running. The entire island was devasted by the hurricane, much more than the pics I saw on the internet revealed. The beach was still nice, but didn't resemble what it used to look like. Lots of rooftops still gone, trees were twisted and stripped. I don't mean the island was in shabbles. They have done a fine job of repair, but there is still lots of damage. It was heartbreaking to hear the cabbie tell about their survival.

Wednesday we were in Cozumel. We spent the morning at Paradise Beach. I can't find words to express just how much I was impressed with PB. It was so clean, the food & drinks were great, restrooms clean, great service, friendly folks. The only problem was we had a schedule to follow, in order for all of us to get to do everything we wanted. We voted to pass on some of our to do's and stay longer at PB, but still missed Tom. (Oh, well, we'll catch him next time, cause we will stay all day!) PB is about 5 miles south of the international pier. Taxi was $13.00 per vehicle, no matter how many people. We walked what seemed like 50 miles to the Del Sol store to pick up our free Norwegian/Del Sol tote bag. This wasn't easy, because lots of the sidewalk in Cozumel is under construction. Got to the Del Sol store and they were out of bags. They told us that Key West Del Sol would have them for us. And they did. Definetley worth remembering to take your coupon into town. Especially if you're a tote bag fanatic like me! Did some shopping in town and made our traditional stop at Carlos and Charlie's. Crawled back to the ship, well, actually just crawled to the bicycle taxis. We ate with some folks who were very upset with NCL. They said they had booked a snorkeling excursion in Grand Cayman, took the tender boat in, and then found out that the snorkeling, etc excursions were cancelled. Some of them had snorkel gear with them, so they had to either tender back to the ship to leave the gear or haul it around with them all day. NCL offered them other options of excursions. They chose 7 mile beach and were very unhappy with the price & excursion. They complained, but said they got no satisfaction. This is not firsthand experience, just relayed by the folks we dined with. We were scheduled to arrive in Key West at 3:00 on Thursday. Everyone must present themselves to immigration in one of the lounges, after the ship docks, but before you debark. They go in descending deck order and since we were in steerage, (deck 4) we were almost last getting off. We docked at the (Old Naval?) pier and they shuttled us in to town on the trolleys. That was smooth. But, by the time we got into town, both the last Conch Train and the Trolley had already left. We stopped by the Kino's sandals store and bought several pair of sandals. On to Margaritaville and places beyond. Crawled back to the trolley stop and trollyed to the ship. Forgot to get our Key Lime Pie fix while we were there.

I do not care for the Freestyle Dining. Just tell me when to be ready and then seat me. We waited in line for 20 - 40 minutes. We tried to get there between 7:00 and 7:30. We decided if the dining rooms opened at 5:30, those earlybird folks would get finished dining about 7:15 or 7:30. We tried several times to eat in the smaller dining room, but each time we were referred to the larger dining room with an explanation of a shorter wait time. We did get to eat in the smaller dining room last year, though. We didn't try the French Bistro that carries a cover charge. We have loved the supper clubs on Carnival's Pride, Spirit and Legend, but they seem to be more intimate and elegant than the Bistro. We also didn't try the Pasta restaurant, but only because my husband doesn't care that much for pasta. The food was good, I may be a bit partial, but I think Carnival has a better selection and better food. The buffet was real good. Pizza was okay. Burgers were great. Ice cream was even greater! All of the drinks we tried were great.

Chocoholic Buffet was a chocoholic's dream. (Thursday night) They even let you take the food back to your cabin. They simply slid the goodies from our plate onto a paper plate, gave us plastic utensils and off we went to our cabin to pig out in privacy! It was excellent. Especially the strawberries dipped in chocolate and white chocolate. Friday at sea started out nice and warm, but we ran into a rain storm about lunch time and it remained cloudy until 5 minutes before the sun set. But it was warm enough to be on deck and in the pools.

The entertainment onboard was great. The comedian, Kevin Jordan was funny as heck. He was very personable too. We talked with him in one of the ports and asked for his autograph. He said he would do better than that. He got our cabin #s and left us an autographed pic under our door. Rudi (can't remember his last name) was good entertainment also. His acrobat stunts were unreal. He also was friendly. We don't normally approach the entertainers while out and about on the ship, we just happened to be in line behind Kevin and just spoke to Rudi, but I was impressed.

Debarkation wasn't as smooth as embarkation, but it still was very easy. We claimed our luggage and grabbed a porter, he loaded the luggage into trailer behind the shuttlebus and another porter unloaded the luggage in the warehouse and hauled it to the truck. He also gave great directions for getting out of Charleston. Go up a couple of streets and take a right on East Bay and follow the signs to I-26. I'm serious, that was his directions, but they worked!

As far as the drydock changes, I noticed the carpet was new in most places and much of the furniture had been replaced. The cabins are still small. We were in the non stretched part of the ship so our cabin was smaller than some. I don't remember any drastic changes in the ship, but I may just not be observant enough.

We enjoyed sitting in the Royal Observatory after loading our plates in the buffet line. I found NCL coffee to be really smooth and good. Tim, you asked about a foot locker vs. suitcases. If you are midship where the cabins are larger, this would probably work, but if you aren't midship, the cabins are small and I'm not sure you would want the foot locker in the small cabins. There wasn't much closet space or floor space. We left Spartanburg about 8:00ish, stopped for quick breakfast and was still on the ship about lunchtime. I also checked out the Dailys and can't find spanish tapas listed. Sorry.... The BBQ on deck was excellent. Nightlife was fun! Deck parties, disco, etc. Village People and Elvis made special appearances. Tim, we didn't leave the ship after embarking, but I would think you can. We were so excited to be aboard, we just ate and practiced relaxing, getting ready for 7 days of relaxation! I can't remember any other questions, but will answer on demand! Hope you all have a great trip! The ship is a small ship and therefore, has more movement than larger ships with stabilizers, and the Atlantic seems to be rougher waters than Caribbean, but we never had any problems with seasickness. It sounds like you have a great positive attitude and most likely will enjoy everything about it. If any of you get the opportunity, check out Paradise Beach! I don't think you'll regret it.

Enjoy!

cruisersfromcarolina

Archived