The Crusie that wasn't!!!!!!!!!!Travel Insureance

ORD1166

DW, myself and good friends from Chicago were schedluled to sail on VOS out of Galveston on 2/8. :( But as you can see from todays date DW and I did not make the sailing. At about 1 AM Sunday morining I suffered a heart attack:eek:. Needless to say this changed a lot of plans. Our friends did sail Sunday. I was in the hospital getting ready for a heart cath and having a stent put in one of my arteries that was 99 per cent blocked. DW and I spent most of the week either in the hospital or in a hotel in Galveston doing a little R/R before heading home. Made it home to the Fort Worth area late Friday afternoon... I am feeling much better now, but still very weak, and soon on road to full recovery:rolleyes:. I see the cardiologist here in Ft Worth on Wedesday for the next step.

We were staying at the Holiday Inn, The fron t desk called 911 for us. The Galveston Fire Dept responed in a matter of minutes. Due to Hurricane Ike, the Galveston ER is closed. They transported me to Mainland Medical Center in Texas City. Everyone there was great, but personally, I do hope I never have to visit them again:eek:!!!

The reason I am posting this is because this is first time that I have taken travel insurance. In over 40 years working for a major airline and traveling all over the world, something made me take the travel insurance this time.

I guess in two ways, I was really lucky. The first one was that the heart attack happened in Galeston and NOT in the middle of the ocean. And second that we had taken the travel insureance. By the time we got home our TA had called the travel insurance company and the forms were waiting for us. TA also got in touch with RCI about our prepaids and was working to get a credit back on them.

I know a lot folks have stong feelings on travel insureance, but I have become a strong believer in it now. It was less than $200 for DW and I but the only thing we missed was a cruise. Not a cruise and all the money goes along with it. This one person who will now always take travel insurance.

DW, myself and good friends from Chicago were schedluled to sail on VOS out of Galveston on 2/8. :( But as you can see from todays date DW and I did not make the sailing. At about 1 AM Sunday morining I suffered a heart attack:eek:. Needless to say this changed a lot of plans. Our friends did sail Sunday. I was in the hospital getting ready for a heart cath and having a stent put in one of my arteries that was 99 per cent blocked. DW and I spent most of the week either in the hospital or in a hotel in Galveston doing a little R/R before heading home. Made it home to the Fort Worth area late Friday afternoon... I am feeling much better now, but still very weak, and soon on road to full recovery:rolleyes:. I see the cardiologist here in Ft Worth on Wedesday for the next step.

We were staying at the Holiday Inn, The fron t desk called 911 for us. The Galveston Fire Dept responed in a matter of minutes. Due to Hurricane Ike, the Galveston ER is closed. They transported me to Mainland Medical Center in Texas City. Everyone there was great, but personally, I do hope I never have to visit them again:eek:!!!

The reason I am posting this is because this is first time that I have taken travel insurance. In over 40 years working for a major airline and traveling all over the world, something made me take the travel insurance this time.

I guess in two ways, I was really lucky. The first one was that the heart attack happened in Galeston and NOT in the middle of the ocean. And second that we had taken the travel insureance. By the time we got home our TA had called the travel insurance company and the forms were waiting for us. TA also got in touch with RCI about our prepaids and was working to get a credit back on them.

I know a lot folks have stong feelings on travel insureance, but I have become a strong believer in it now. It was less than $200 for DW and I but the only thing we missed was a cruise. Not a cruise and all the money goes along with it. This one person who will now always take travel insurance.

First, I'm so glad you are doing better! Sounds like you had great people helping you out from the TA, the hotel personnel and definitely the medical providers! Glad to hear things are going so smoothly with the travel insurance. I just purchased ours yesterday and I'm glad I did! God bless and I hope you get to go on that cruise soon!

Thank goodness you are on the road to recovery!

Your experience had to be very scary for both of you.

Gosh, I'll second the thought of having your heart attack on land versus out in the ocean and needing to be medi evacuated out.

I can't say enough about travel insurance......lets just say, we never leave home with out it. We've used it twice now...worth every penny.

Get well soon!

Glad to hear you are doing ok. Its from all that great food in Fort Worth no doubt! lol Get better soon and get back to 110% and then get back out there on the water asap. Call it your road to recovery.

I will definitely consider Travel Insurance now.

Ord, first, like you said, I am sure glad you were not already on the ship. Secondly I am so glad that you are feeling better. Keep getting better so you can enjoy that next cruise!. Thirdly so glad you bought insurance. I never buy it. I have been thinking about it a lot lately. Your post will probably make me think even more. Again glad you are better.

I'm so happy this had a happy outcome.

You said all you were out was a cruise. Believe your insurance will cover a whole lot more than that, won't it? Like your travel to the port, your hotel, any deductible on your insurance, everything? Mine would have covered the episode completely and a full year of care following. Check that out.

So glad to hear you are doing better!

A number of years ago, my DH had heart problems right before a cruise, and, you guessed it, no insurance.

Happily, all four of us were able to go, but the stress and anxiety was something I don't want to experience again...we always have insurance now!

So, have you booked a new cruise, yet?:D

about 1 AM Sunday morining I suffered a heart attack:eek:. Needless to say this changed a lot of plans.

I have always said that "life is what happens when you are making plans"...I am so sorry to hear of your heart attack, but glad you listened to your "inside voice" when booking and including travel insurance.

We have had a couple of incidents that have caused us to use the insurance - and at this point I feel that it is only fair I keep buying it to pay back all the good karma! (I sound so touchy feely).

I hope you are on the mend and to reschedule soon.

I am also glad you are fine.

The travel insurance yes or no always amazes me. I guess yes it is wasted if all goes well but boy when you need it. I for one would never take a chance. We had booked a two week cruise and 3 weeks before I blew a disc in my back. For us, like many, we save for a cruise. It would have been allot of money for us to loose.

On a more serious note a friend of mine, in his late 50s, healthy, went to the Bahamas with several friends. He did not come down one morning for breakfast. They checked on him, he had a major stroke. because he had no travel insurance they took him to the "not so good" hospital. He never got the anti clotting drug. There were roaches, no pads under neath him when he moved his bowels. a friend had a company plane and was able to transport him state side. The cost to do it otherwise was over $100,000. It was a total horror story.

Long story short.... I will pay the insurance ALWAYS. And hope I never need it again.

Mc

Thank God you are here to tell us about your experience and thankfully on the road to recovery.

Wishing you a continued recovery and I can't think of a better way of celebrating you good fortune then to book another cruise once your Dr gives you the AOK ;) Thank you for sharing this very important lesson to us all. Even children should have insurance....they could break a leg, arm, or an appendix rupture....lots of things can go wrong that we don't think about.

I am also glad you are fine.

The travel insurance yes or no always amazes me. I guess yes it is wasted if all goes well but boy when you need it. I for one would never take a chance. We had booked a two week cruise and 3 weeks before I blew a disc in my back. For us, like many, we save for a cruise. It would have been allot of money for us to loose.

On a more serious note a friend of mine, in his late 50s, healthy, went to the Bahamas with several friends. He did not come down one morning for breakfast. They checked on him, he had a major stroke. because he had no travel insurance they took him to the "not so good" hospital. He never got the anti clotting drug. There were roaches, no pads under neath him when he moved his bowels. a friend had a company plane and was able to transport him state side. The cost to do it otherwise was over $100,000. It was a total horror story.

Long story short.... I will pay the insurance ALWAYS. And hope I never need it again.

Mc

Gosh, that is a horror story!

Thank goodness, you received all the right treatment, and here is wishing you a speedy recovery. Also I hope you get to re-book a cruise real soon - you definitely deserve one.

Travel Insurance - I never travel with out it:rolleyes:

ORD1166--so glad to hear you're okay and that you're looking forward to a cruise again.

I've always believed in insurance, but my husband hasn't. 2 weeks ago on a Princess cruise to the Panama Canal, my MIL had heart problems and had excellent care from the ship's doctor, staying overnight in the infirmary and was monitored carefully for the rest of the cruise. My FIL and MIL (80s) didn't have insurance and now have a huge bill on their hands--not sure if their own health insurance will pay any of it. A year and half ago, they missed their cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and joined it 3 days later in Jamaica--again, no insurance (luckily, the airline and Princess took care of everything anyway). I think, if they ever cruise again, they'll get insurance. I think my husband sees the wisdom of insurance now, too. Not just for our own problems, but if anything goes wrong with our elderly parents, our own cruise might have to be cancelled or cut short, and we'd be covered.

Again, glad you're okay and that the outcome was so good.

First, glad you survived the AMI. Being in Galveston with a critical medical issue right now is a bit scary since it is a lot longer to get to Mainland, and that hospital although nice was not designed for all of the things they are seeing now.

Second, you are right the travel insurance was good for your situation. It is amazing to see posts where people didn't have it and expect RCCL to give the money back...in your case RCCL gets paid, and the insurance company gives your money back so all ends well.

Last, if you still work for the airline, I sure hope not as a pilot since one I know in a similar situation told me the AMI was the end of his flying carrer. That is definitely sad, but at least he is alive and doing lots of things at the church.

Stay well, enjoy your cruise when you get a chance to reschedule it.

Rancher Dave thanks for you thoughts. I retired almost two years ago and I worked in aircraft maintenance. I ran an engie test cell.

Dave, I know this much the folks at Mainland were outstanding they went out thier way for both of us. They let my wife stay everynight in my room even when I was in the CCU. Yes they are getting a bunch more work now. But right they are one of the best in mind;).

At about 1 AM Sunday morining I suffered a heart attack:eek:.

My heart attack two years ago was two weeks before a cruise. My doctors told me "Don't Go" even though I was feeling fine. I filled out my Travel Insurance forms, attached a note from my Doctor, and 4 weeks later got my refund check.

Travel Insurance - Don't Leave Home Without It!

Archived