The Crusie that wasn't!!!!!!!!!!Travel Insureance

ORD1166

Rancher Dave thanks for you thoughts. I retired almost two years ago and I worked in aircraft maintenance. I ran an engie test cell.

Dave, I know this much the folks at Mainland were outstanding they went out thier way for both of us. They let my wife stay everynight in my room even when I was in the CCU. Yes they are getting a bunch more work now. But right they are one of the best in mind;).

Mainland is not bad, just overwhelmed with all of the new things they see. With UTMB down more or less it stresses Mainland. They do however have thet country hospital hospitality which goes a long way to making patients and their family more comfortable. Some of the docs I work with serve that hospital part of the time. Likely you did not cross paths with them since their specialty is other than cardiology or ER.

Glad to know after all the hard work on the engines you get to take a rest now.

Ord,

I would love to use your story to print out and give all the clients who don't think they need insurance. Glad you are on the road to recovery.

And to answer a previous poster (Cruiseonly) who asked I don't think any TA would charge to fill out insurance forms, that would be down right pathetic. I just had my first client who needed to file due to illness and cancel a trip and I couldn't imagine making a phone call to initiate the claim would warrant any charge. I am curious as to why you would think a TA would charge?

ord...get well soon and book another cruise to help your recovery!

we too won't leave home without some sort of insurance.....we are still waiting for mom's own coverages to deny the claim for her broken foot so we can submit it....i'm sure there won't be an issue...its not a big amount, but it will be nice to get it back!

as for a TA charging??/ i agree with Sue...why??? not to disparage TAs OR attorneys OR accountants, but TAs don't charge by the hour...legal eagles and number crunchers (like me!) DO!!!

Ord,

I would love to use your story to print out and give all the clients who don't think they need insurance. Glad you are on the road to recovery.

And to answer a previous poster (Cruiseonly) who asked I don't think any TA would charge to fill out insurance forms, that would be down right pathetic. I just had my first client who needed to file due to illness and cancel a trip and I couldn't imagine making a phone call to initiate the claim would warrant any charge. I am curious as to why you would think a TA would charge?

Sue, I think it goes back to the overall theme that you and other TAs take care of clients, others are all about a quicky transaction and could give a flip about anything else. It is those TAs that make many look bad. Same goes for many other types of companies, agents, etc...a few bad ones cloud the waters for all. Keep up the good work taking care of your clients and your book of business will continue to expand. (or at least stay flat in a bad economy)

I'll be happy to recommend the company I use. Go to statravel.com. They service young people for travel, but their INSURANCE is for all ages. They do not go up in price according to age (as many do) or cost of trip (as many do). They go by length of trip. Wonderful coverage, low cost, and they pay promptly.

Give them a call.

suel yes you my use my story and if you have any questions please send me an email at ord1166@aol.com

megr1125, we have used the same TA for 6 out 7 cruises we have taken over the last 7 years and we have become good friends. She started all the paperwork for us and contacted RCI about our prepaids. This was no charge and I don't expect one either. She has taken good care of us and the whole family when we did a reunion cruise.

Ord - wishing you a speedy recovery. Glad you were able to make it home so soon also.

We also always have travel insurance on all of our trips. So far we have not needed it, but you never know what lays ahead. Thank you for the reminder.

Again sending you and your DW good thoughts for a speedy and full recovery.

I've always believed in insurance, but my husband hasn't. 2 weeks ago on a Princess cruise to the Panama Canal, my MIL had heart problems and had excellent care from the ship's doctor, staying overnight in the infirmary and was monitored carefully for the rest of the cruise. My FIL and MIL (80s) didn't have insurance and now have a huge bill on their hands--not sure if their own health insurance will pay any of it. A year and half ago, they missed their cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale and joined it 3 days later in Jamaica--again, no insurance (luckily, the airline and Princess took care of everything anyway). I think, if they ever cruise again, they'll get insurance. I think my husband sees the wisdom of insurance now, too. Not just for our own problems, but if anything goes wrong with our elderly parents, our own cruise might have to be cancelled or cut short, and we'd be covered.

Again, glad you're okay and that the outcome was so good.

Fingers crossed for your in laws on their claim, but unless they have supplemental medical insurance that will cover it, they most likely will be out of luck as Medicare does not cover you outside of the US. I don't know if any supplemental plans will cover it either, but it's worth a shot.

Don't you guys have annual insurance?

Over here in the UK many folks simply have annual travel insurance and that covers you for as many trips as you take.

Annual travel insurance is not commonly offered here in the US. It's available, but it's just not that well advertised or used. In fact, many people in the US don't understand the importance of travel insurance - until they are in a situation like the OP's.

Fingers crossed for your in laws on their claim, but unless they have supplemental medical insurance that will cover it, they most likely will be out of luck as Medicare does not cover you outside of the US. I don't know if any supplemental plans will cover it either, but it's worth a shot.

Annual travel insurance is not commonly offered here in the US. It's available, but it's just not that well advertised or used. In fact, many people in the US don't understand the importance of travel insurance - until they are in a situation like the OP's.

Depending on the MedSup carrier and Plan A-L selected there is coverage subject usually to a deductible and co-insurance for a lifetime max, for example $50K in coverage outside the USA. One for instance is $250 deductible, 20% co-insurance to the $50K lifetime max. That is on a Plan F in from more than one of the carriers with whom I work.

On the travel insurance front, those who travel a bunch really may want to consider an annual coverage plan. This is especially true for those who travel internationally since you usually end up with evacuation coverage in these plans which for cruisers is something many are interested in securing.

Don't you guys have annual insurance?

Over here in the UK many folks simply have annual travel insurance and that covers you for as many trips as you take.

I don't know if it is common here in the States. Maybe someone will jump in with appropriate information. I have a friend who mentioned such a thing. Seems to me that what he paid was more than what I will pay over a year's time.

• 3 weeks later...
Ord,

To answer the above poster, I had to cancel a trip due to my wife's illness and hospital care. I have used the same TA for the past 5 years, and have booked trips with him exclusively.

He nows tells me that he did not make anything on the cancelled cruise, and is considering charging a fee.

He said he would charge the Insurance Company, but we would get the money back. Or else charge me, and then I would apply to the insurance company and get the money back.

Has anyone had to pay the TA for doing the paperwork on a cancelled cruise.

To the OP - glad you're feeling better :)

I'll be happy to recommend the company I use. Go to statravel.com. They service young people for travel, but their INSURANCE is for all ages. They do not go up in price according to age (as many do) or cost of trip (as many do). They go by length of trip. Wonderful coverage, low cost, and they pay promptly.

Give them a call.

Can you share a bit more about statravel. What kind of claim(s) have you filed? If it was medical did you have to file with your own insurance first?

Do they cover pre-existing conditions?

I feel your pain. My family and I were scheduled for a Thanksgiving cruise with RCCL, IOS, 2008 and one week before leaving I tore a disk in my lower back and was unable to walk without spinal epidurals. I was going to buck it up and take a lot of medications just so my family could go, but my husband is a realist and knew there was no way. He had taken out the insurance through RCCL and booked the airfare on his own and the insurance covered both. I know how blessed you are for having another chance at life and cruising again,,,,we leave for LOS at the end of this month!!!!:)

To answer the above poster, I had to cancel a trip due to my wife's illness and hospital care. I have used the same TA for the past 5 years, and have booked trips with him exclusively.

He nows tells me that he did not make anything on the cancelled cruise, and is considering charging a fee.

He said he would charge the Insurance Company, but we would get the money back. Or else charge me, and then I would apply to the insurance company and get the money back.

Has anyone had to pay the TA for doing the paperwork on a cancelled cruise.

Not only would I not pay the TA a fee after the fact, I would drop the TA in a heartbeat.

Archived