singing/dancing waiters

bmacri

Do they still do this during dinner?

I hope so.

Maybe I am a party pooper, but after 15+ Carnival cruises, I get sick of it. I think I may have stayed once last time. I'd rather take a walk and digest than see my over-worked wait staff forced into embarrassing themselves in front of everyone...

17 CCL cruzes ago, my very fine waiter, encouraged (yeah, riight)me to dance "Hey Baby".. I've been doing it ever since...no tellin how many poix I'm in from folks around my usual table. Get to do it next Wednesday AGAIN, AGAIN, AGain..

I do not think that the workers like the singing and dancing

I'm sure that some don't like it at all, but I didn't notice that on the Valor in the Lincoln DR...they all seemed to have fun and encouraged the passengers to join them. I joined in, it was fun and set the mood for a fun evening.

I did notice though, that the wait staff seemed to feel pressure sometimes, hurrying to get the meals/desserts served when the signal was given ;) , and one day my cappacino was luke warm when it was brought to my table after the dancing.

I have to agree that I do not think that the workers like the singing and dancing.

I disagree. On the elation, I was given the impression that they enjoyed that time to cut loose and have a little fun. They always were laughing and smiling, and it really inspired guests to get up and dance with them!:D

Maybe I am a party pooper, but after 15+ Carnival cruises, I get sick of it. I think I may have stayed once last time. I'd rather take a walk and digest than see my over-worked wait staff forced into embarrassing themselves in front of everyone...

You aren't. I can't stand it either. So I usually eat in the supper club.

... I'd rather take a walk and digest than see my over-worked wait staff forced into embarrassing themselves in front of everyone...

Not sure why you feel they are embarrassing themselves. Could it be because you would not be comfortable doing it & would feel embarassed so assume their feelings are the same? (please note, that is not written in a tone that is meant to be sarcastic. Sometimes people can't imagine others may enjoy something they'd think was equal to root canal). Many of the wait staff are great dancers & really show it off to the passengers. Although, some people will disagree, my favorite is when some of the staff dance on the small pedestals in the dining room. They are always fantastic dancers & certainly don't look like they are embarrassed showing it off. They appear happy to shed the role of server & move into the role of entertainer.

Last cruise our waiter was very formal & serious. When it came time for one of dances I couldn't picture him wanting to take part...and he didn't. However, his assistant who was a young lady who was very shy & reserved while serving. When that dancing started, she really beamed & started pulling up my kids & their friends who are in their 20s & seemed to feel much more relaxed around them, talking with them, after that.

Well, always different opinions on this subject, as there are with many things. Recently read a great quote..."If we all sang the same note, there would be no harmony."

Do they always sing the same song/songs? I had forgotten this show- is it the last night? And I personally remember feeling that many of the waiters enjoyed performing (hoping to get tapped as the entertainment? Hollywood anyone?) but some did seem less than thrilled about it. Years ago in another life I remember the wait staff parading through the dining room, lights out, with flaming Baked Alaskas- they were singing something but it was a very very long time ago and I don't remember what it was. I guess this kind of end of cruise experience has been going on for a long time.

I guess this kind of end of cruise experience has been going on for a long time.

They were doing it as far back as 1983, and doubtlessly longer than that.

Nowadays, it's not just "end of cruise" but most every night in the dining room. The Ketchup Song (Las Ketchup), Macarena, and La Bomba (Azul Azul) were "standards" a few years ago.

They were doing it as far back as 1983, and doubtlessly longer than that.

Nowadays, it's not just "end of cruise" but most every night in the dining room. The Ketchup Song (Las Ketchup), Macarena, and La Bomba (Azul Azul) were "standards" a few years ago.

I'll take it back another 20 years in some form or another. I imagine that they were probably doing something like this on the Titanic just before it met up with the iceberg.

I love them, most of the staff look like they are having a great time. One guy on our last Legend cruise was so into it I thought he should try out for Chippendales dancers, I mean I was LOOKING for dollar bills to shove in his .........um apron:D

I think it's all part of the "fun ship" experience and we enjoy it, but those that don't can just ignore it, no one puts a gun to their heads and makes them clap or participate. Or they can leave before desert, it never happens before desert.

I'll take it back another 20 years in some form or another. I imagine that they were probably doing something like this on the Titanic just before it met up with the iceberg.

Am I now to guess that is why years ago most cruise ships started having staff march around the dining room with a big white iceberg looking mound of frozen dessert (Baked Alaska), while setting it aflame? Melt it down before it took us down! It all makes sense...since I rarely ever see that dessert anywhere but on cruiseships. (Do they even offer it any more?)

Am I now to guess that is why years ago most cruise ships started having staff march around the dining room with a big white iceberg looking mound of frozen dessert (Baked Alaska), while setting it aflame? Melt it down before it took us down! It all makes sense...since I rarely ever see that dessert anywhere but on cruiseships. (Do they even offer it any more?)

Brilliant! Of Course! And all these years I had NO idea!

Or they can leave before desert, it never happens before desert.

I beg to differ. It Always happened before dessert on our last cruise. Most of the servers could not get the tables cleared and dessert and coffee served before they had to perform.

We were not that crazy about the performing. Our waiter was definitely not into it. If we could have had dessert and coffee before and left we would have, but no way we were going to miss warm chocolate melting cake or bitter and blanc!

Archived