New info about car rentals in Vancouver

Luckysll

This was posted by someone on the TripAdvisor forum for Vancouver. I thought it should probably be a "heads up" for anyone coming into Vancouver and renting a car. I've also posted this in the "Canada" and "Alaska" forums.

"Tuesday I rented from Enterprise and for the first time had to initial a box on the rental form to indicate that I had not flown into YVR in the past 24 hrs.

Some searching found the quote as posted from Flyertalk.com

<<As per Section 4.3 of the Airport Radius clause, any customers arriving at YVR airport within 24 hours are subject to the 17.5% Location Fee, regardless of where the customers are picking up the vehicle. This applies to all car rental companies whose address falls within the Greater Vancouver Regional District.>>

I was 'somewhat' aware this was coming but hadn't given it much thought but what a dreadful way to gouge visitors/force them into a position where they end up lying/concocting convoluted scenarios to give the appearance they haven't just flown in."

It used to be cheaper to rent a car away from the airport, but it looks like that won't be the case. And, of course, it doesn't have anything to do with the Olympics next year. :rolleyes:

This was posted by someone on the TripAdvisor forum for Vancouver. I thought it should probably be a "heads up" for anyone coming into Vancouver and renting a car. I've also posted this in the "Canada" and "Alaska" forums.

"Tuesday I rented from Enterprise and for the first time had to initial a box on the rental form to indicate that I had not flown into YVR in the past 24 hrs.

Some searching found the quote as posted from Flyertalk.com

<<As per Section 4.3 of the Airport Radius clause, any customers arriving at YVR airport within 24 hours are subject to the 17.5% Location Fee, regardless of where the customers are picking up the vehicle. This applies to all car rental companies whose address falls within the Greater Vancouver Regional District.>>

I was 'somewhat' aware this was coming but hadn't given it much thought but what a dreadful way to gouge visitors/force them into a position where they end up lying/concocting convoluted scenarios to give the appearance they haven't just flown in."

It used to be cheaper to rent a car away from the airport, but it looks like that won't be the case. And, of course, it doesn't have anything to do with the Olympics next year. :rolleyes:

Well it doesn't have anything to do re the 2010 Olympics but it I do agree it is a gouge....that said all airports in North America do have a a special tax or convenience charge...but this one does seem to be a bit too inclusive. Here is an article from the "Vancouver Sun" on the topic.

http://www2.canada.com/vancouversun/news/editorial/story.html?id=a1aeb1ee-0289-4c57-8c3f-6a17b

Archived