Mediteranian & Greek Islands

We are fairly new to cruising. Took one to Alaska last year, thoroughly enjoyed, and are contemplating taking a cruise around Mediterranean & Greek Islands including Turkey (Ruby Princess in July/Aug time frame - 12 days). Those of you, who have taken a cruise in this area, do you have any advice? We are looking to do small portion (3-4 days on land in Spain and board the ship in Barcelona). I hear that there are great deals this year, but have not found an attractive one yet. If any of you aware of previous discussion on Mediterranean cruise, I'd appreciate a link to the discussion.

Thank you,

We are fairly new to cruising. Took one to Alaska last year, thoroughly enjoyed, and are contemplating taking a cruise around Mediterranean & Greek Islands including Turkey (Ruby Princess in July/Aug time frame - 12 days). Those of you, who have taken a cruise in this area, do you have any advice? We are looking to do small portion (3-4 days on land in Spain and board the ship in Barcelona). I hear that there are great deals this year, but have not found an attractive one yet. If any of you aware of previous discussion on Mediterranean cruise, I'd appreciate a link to the discussion.

Thank you,

Do some reading on this board as there is soooo much info here,and if then you are still in a quandry or cannot find what you want talk to a good cruise TA who can really be of help with all aspects of what you want and can also find the deals...really.

The travel rates this year are unbelievable and should not be missed if you have the funds. Best advice is decide which cities you want to see and then look for cruises that fit that itinerary. As the last poster mentioned there are tons of choices and it just depends on what your interests are.

You may want to check with your TA about 2 for 1 fares. We booked a cruise for October and the price was 1/2 of what it normally would cost. We saw the offer from Princess on selected sailings and dates so it really paid off for us.

Jennifer

May I make a suggestion? I don't know if you are limited to the summer months but I would take advantage of the savings if you travel in the spring or fall. I did Greece and Turkey at the end of July because I have a child and have to go in the summer. Not only is the airfare more but the cruises are more too because it is summer.

If you go in May you will beat the sometimes oppressive heat and will save big bucks (in comparison to June-July-and August). Sometimes the fall airfare doesn't go down much either.

We did Holland America. This year Holland America Oosterdam is doing the same itinerary that I did. Holland America does a roundtrip out of Venice with an overnight in Venice and then later an overnight in Istanbul- with stops in Kusadasi/Ephesus, Athens Greece, Katokalon/Olympia Greece, Mykonos, Santorini and Split.Croatia. The one in May is 1800 per person for a balcony. We paid 2400 per person in July of 2008 for a balcony. We paid $1100 for airfare but I just checked and the same airfare is $699. So for two people you would be saving $2000 by going in May. And the bonus is the weather will be better and the crowds fewer.

Archived