Explorer review 02/01 Royally sweet but sour grapes too!

Lushpuppy

I hope I don't get flamed for asking, but how does anyone get a $3600.00 bar tab? That seems just incredible.

As to someone complaining about noise and what not, well, I don't care how much you spend or where your room is, we all have the same rights.

Our bar bill has been higher than that on several cruises.

CABIN: Our cabin was 9618, a center hump Junior Suite, convenient to the Concierge Lounge and the like. However, this cabin is directly under the Royal Suite. In said Royal Suite is a Baby Grand Piano, on a MARBLE floor. Draw your own conclusions. I think I hated this cabin as much as the Aft JS on Enchantment that was directly over the Karaoke bar. I don’t care how much money people spend to book the RS, nor do I care if they are the president of the company. Have a little common courtesy. There are people on the ship who might want to sleep between 1 and 4 AM. Those people may be in the cabins below you. Enough said.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=919229

From the person in the cabin below the RS

Sounds like the RS is wonderful.

I think Megs mom was traveling with them and that may have been the problem with the noise.

Meg is right though, there are two sides to every story.

I had to quickly check, we originally had 9620 and switched to 8620.

So RS people sailing on the 11/29, NO jumping jacks or we'll feel in on the 8th floor!:p:p:p

MIMI

You are back on with us on the 11/29 too?? that is terrific!!!!

Here are my thoughts on this, (and to LushPuppy, I mean NO disrespect.....)

(1) You seem like a fun-loving group, as evidenced by TWO diamond wine packages, champagne purchases, and a $3,600 bar tab.

(2) You paid for a very expensive suite in which you were hoping to entertain guests.

I think it became pretty apparent in your review that your group enjoyed music and drinks (hey, that is great by me!), but it seems that you were disturbing the cabins surrounding you (however unintentional).

Your idea of "quiet music and talking" may not really be what you think it was, and obviously the cabins around felt differently too. There were four cabins under your RS and two on each side, and collectively, they spent more on their cruises than you did on yours, and they were entitled to enjoy their cabins as they saw fit. (NOT that money has anything to do with it at all, but I'm just making a comparison here). Security was called, but that does NOT make them "whiners" in my opinion. (I have put up with much worse....)

My point is, that while I hope you had a very nice cruise, I also hope that your "once in a lifetime, last family get-together, etc" didn't adversely affect several other peoples' cruise, because that would be very sad.

Again, no disrespect intended, just observations.

CABIN: Our cabin was 9618, a center hump Junior Suite, convenient to the Concierge Lounge and the like. However, this cabin is directly under the Royal Suite. In said Royal Suite is a Baby Grand Piano, on a MARBLE floor. Draw your own conclusions. I think I hated this cabin as much as the Aft JS on Enchantment that was directly over the Karaoke bar. I don’t care how much money people spend to book the RS, nor do I care if they are the president of the company. Have a little common courtesy. There are people on the ship who might want to sleep between 1 and 4 AM. Those people may be in the cabins below you. Enough said.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=919229

From the person in the cabin below the RS

The piano is actually on a CARPETED floor! AND for the last time, it was NEVER played between 1am and 4am. We can think of much better things to do between 1am and 4am than play a darned piano!

The piano is actually on a CARPETED floor! AND for the last time, it was NEVER played between 1am and 4am. We can think of much better things to do between 1am and 4am than play a darned piano!

A quick search on webshots found this pic of the piano in the RS on Explorer - looks like it is on carpet to me

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2148542300074916383HpuhlV

http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2683730530074916383Agpsnq

It looks like carpet over marble, so everyone is right.

Its not. I too pre cruise thought it was all marble. It is a fitted centre carpet and then the marble starts AROUND the carpeted area. It looks even on entry as if it is all the one, its actually very well done. But it IS carpeted.

I don't think that anyone can comment on what went on here except the people who were actually there.....two sides to every story....but I personally don't think it is reasonable in the close confines of a cruise ship (or hotel, for that matter) for anyone to be making excessive noise in their cabin after midnight. Everyone has equal right to enjoy their hard earned vacation!

Its not. I too pre cruise thought it was all marble. It is a fitted centre carpet and then the marble starts AROUND the carpeted area. It looks even on entry as if it is all the one, its actually very well done. But it IS carpeted.

Oic, interesting. My youngest always asks me to get this room so he can play the piano; people would be hearing Appalachian Spring at all hours.

Lushpuppy, I enjoyed reading your colorful review. :)

However, I'm not sympathetic with you regarding the noise issue.

You said you slammed the door in security's face. That makes it sound like you weren't in control of yourself that night.

It's hard to tell exactly where the line falls between "acceptable entertaining" and "disturbing the neighbors". But your remarks about moaners who should have known not to book below the RS aren't helpful.

You did a nice thing inviting them to the party though. :)

I was actually quite shocked that it was indeed her.

AND she was to be invited to the party:eek:

I had told her pre cruise if we had a party in the RS we would send down an invite! We never did meet in person, but I still intended to call the cabin number and invite her party!

I'm not sure that the invite was actually issued - NOT that I think that is the root cause of the problem.

Noise does travel through the decks and walls. We had a neighbor who brought their stereo to play on the balcony last cruise and blared it constantly. It drove me nuts. I called them a few times asking to have it turned down but that only lasted about 10 minutes. They were with a large group (at least a dozen people) and I think theirs was the only balcony cabin in the group since it was constantly packed. One of the other neighbors must have also had enough and called security about them. After about 4 days they finally kept the stereo at a reasonable level, although still annoying for someone who wants to actually hear the ocean while at sea. I've also stayed under the pool deck and could hear the loungers being dragged around. It didn't sound that loud when I tried it myself on the pool deck but it sounded really loud coming through the ceiling in my cabin. Basically what doesn't seem loud to one person can be really annoying to another.

Lushpuppy, I enjoyed reading your colorful review. :)

However, I'm not sympathetic with you regarding the noise issue.

You said you slammed the door in security's face. That makes it sound like you weren't in control of yourself that night.

It's hard to tell exactly where the line falls between "acceptable entertaining" and "disturbing the neighbors". But your remarks about moaners who should have known not to book below the RS aren't helpful.

Actually that was an exaggeration in words and should have rephrased that I actually CLOSED the door on their faces for fear I WOULD lose my cool. I was actually calm and collect at the door But rather than turn angry and let the situation get out of control I closed the door on them.

On another note:

I dont know the rude people keep going on as if I think I owned the ship. Good grief, what kind of people are you. SO ABUSIVE! And you think I am rude...

I still believe, when BUYING a cabin DESIGNED TO ENTERTAIN, it should be allowed for the use in wihch it is intended. AS AGREED BY GUEST RELATIONS MANAGEMENT!

We DID make a suggestion to guest relations which we have come across in other penthouses. It is sometimes difficult to ascertain in these suites noise levels from other neighbors. As two neighbours next door to us said there was no noise, then we assume its fine. REMEMBER WE ARE TALKING ONE LATE NIGHT NOT TWELVE! But that aside, in penthouses we have stayed in, the volume controls stick at a certain level. In other words, the level has been pre determined so that it is impossible to disturb other guests. As there IS a 16 speaker sound system in the RS, we suggested to them that they get technicians to develop a system which allows the RS guests to entertain but at a level which is fair and reasonable to other guests.

We DO use common sense. But in saying that, lets face it, had we had guests below us who happened to be fun and late nighters, there would NOT have been an issue at all. In fact, they would have probably ended up in our place. I dont go on vacation to sleep. I go to party and enjoy life. We dont get to party at home, darned sure we are going to do it on vacation. Whats more, you are ALL missing my point in that had the ship provided a great late dance place for our age group, there would have been NO need to go back to the suite at all in the first place! READ the review, READ my comments re the disco and READ WHY we ended back in the RS.

There is so much green on here I am feeling postively sick!

Wow, where did you see that??? I thought the review was very well-written and not obnoxious in the least. You, however, are showing yourself to be quite obnoxious and rude by your comments.

Peace and Love :)

Since yesterday the original poster has been defending her position by stating that (I'm paraphrasing here): They booked the Royal Suite and people in the surrounding rooms should expect to be disturbed. The had a $3600 bar tab and the also booked two other cabins on the ship so they paid dearly for the privilege of making as much noise as they see fit. And as long as they warned people in the surrounding cabins that they like their music, that makes everything okay; I'm guessing because people could just move to a different cabin if they didn't like the noise.

I'm sorry if my post offended you but they sound my worst nightmare on vacation. :eek:

On another note:

I dont know the rude people keep going on as if I think I owned the ship. Good grief, what kind of people are you. SO ABUSIVE! And you think I am rude...

I still believe, when BUYING a cabin DESIGNED TO ENTERTAIN, it should be allowed for the use in wihch it is intended. AS AGREED BY GUEST RELATIONS MANAGEMENT!

We DID make a suggestion to guest relations which we have come across in other penthouses. It is sometimes difficult to ascertain in these suites noise levels from other neighbors. As two neighbours next door to us said there was no noise, then we assume its fine. REMEMBER WE ARE TALKING ONE LATE NIGHT NOT TWELVE! But that aside, in penthouses we have stayed in, the volume controls stick at a certain level. In other words, the level has been pre determined so that it is impossible to disturb other guests. As there IS a 16 speaker sound system in the RS, we suggested to them that they get technicians to develop a system which allows the RS guests to entertain but at a level which is fair and reasonable to other guests.

We DO use common sense. But in saying that, lets face it, had we had guests below us who happened to be fun and late nighters, there would NOT have been an issue at all. In fact, they would have probably ended up in our place. I dont go on vacation to sleep. I go to party and enjoy life. We dont get to party at home, darned sure we are going to do it on vacation. Whats more, you are ALL missing my point in that had the ship provided a great late dance place for our age group, there would have been NO need to go back to the suite at all in the first place! READ the review, READ my comments re the disco and READ WHY we ended back in the RS.

There is so much green on here I am feeling postively sick!

There's another excuse/justification; it's the cruiselines fault for not providing an acceptable late night dance venue. :rolleyes:

A couple of things have jumped out at me when reading the OP's posts. First, almost every post mentions how much money was spent. Who cares really, other than, apparently, the OP. I've worked just as hard to save up for my interior room I'll be occupying in May on the Enchantment, and I expect as much respect from others as anyone else. So really, how much was spent shouldn't be an issue. Second, the OP assumes that anyone who doesn't take his/her "side" in this is jealous. Again, this speaks volumes about one's attitude. The way I see it, EVERYONE on the cruise should have the right to enjoy their vacation no matter what their cabin is, or their bar tab is. ;)

Lushpuppy, I don't know if you're talking to me, but I don't think any part of my post was rude or abusive.

Actually that was an exaggeration in words and should have rephrased that I actually CLOSED the door on their faces for fear I WOULD lose my cool. I was actually calm and collect at the door But rather than turn angry and let the situation get out of control I closed the door on them.

I find even closing the door on security odd. You also say security called your husband and he almost lost it with them. Again, it makes it sound like neither of you were fully in control of yourselves.

As two neighbours next door to us said there was no noise, then we assume its fine... in penthouses we have stayed in, the volume controls stick at a certain level. In other words, the level has been pre determined so that it is impossible to disturb other guests. As there IS a 16 speaker sound system in the RS, we suggested to them that they get technicians to develop a system which allows the RS guests to entertain but at a level which is fair and reasonable to other guests.

That is a good suggestion. And it's good of you to consult your next door neighbors regarding the noise. Just a thought, it is possible for sound to travel through floors/ceiling differently than through adjoining walls. So while your noise might not have audible next door, it might have been very audible below you.

lets face it, had we had guests below us who happened to be fun and late nighters, there would NOT have been an issue at all. In fact, they would have probably ended up in our place. I dont go on vacation to sleep. I go to party and enjoy life. We dont get to party at home, darned sure we are going to do it on vacation. Whats more, you are ALL missing my point in that had the ship provided a great late dance place for our age group, there would have been NO need to go back to the suite at all in the first place!

I read your review, very carefully. I respect the fact that you like to party. And thanks for inviting others :) But the above sounds like self-justification to me. Your neighbors have no obligation to share your enthusiasm for late night partying. If the public dance venues aren't to your taste it's not an excuse to say “DANCE PARTY IN THE ROYAL SUITE!”

Lushpuppy, I don't know if you're talking to me, but I don't think any part of my post was rude or abusive.

I find even closing the door on security odd. You also say security called your husband and he almost lost it with them. Again, it makes it sound like neither of you were fully in control of yourselves.

That is a good suggestion. And it's good of you to consult your next door neighbors regarding the noise. Just a thought, it is possible for sound to travel through floors/ceiling differently than through adjoining walls. So while your noise might not have audible next door, it might have been very audible below you.

NO, not at all. You commented in a fair and respectable manner which I duly respect. I wasnt sure how to quote and then follow on, but hoped the space would ensure you didnt think I was blaming you for abuse:) Totally respect your opinion.

I dont honestly believe, in a ship of 3000 people, no one goes back to their cabins at night to put music on. We DID ask guest services, and were told YES, we COULD continue to party, we then chose NOT to. I cancelled a party for 30 people remember. I am simply pointing out to potential cruisers in the RS, the pitfalls. The suite may be designed for entertaining, but not necessarily used for its intended purpose.

From previous experiences, we have numerous times been to parties on Penthouses, Royal Suites, Celebrity Suites, Sky suites AND CABINS... NEVER EVER experienced this before.

I read your review, very carefully. I respect the fact that you like to party. And thanks for inviting others :) But the above sounds like self-justification to me. Your neighbors have no obligation to share your enthusiasm for late night partying. If the public dance venues aren't to your taste it's not an excuse to say “DANCE PARTY IN THE ROYAL SUITE!”

No you are right, its not an excuse, BUT we did have a suite which we believed to be well soundproofed and the music was not of an unreasonable level. We told staff precisely WHY we were going to the suite, and ordered champagne etc. Had we wanted a cabin merely to sleep in, thats what we would have booked. We believed we had booked a penthouse as such, and as I say, from previous visits to similar rooms on other ships, late night parties are FAR from unusual.

I do object to the staff thing on the dance floor. As so MANY guests. I know I am not alone in that one. I am saying in my review, that we felt RCI was missing a late night party area for the mid age group. Had that been available, for sure we wouldnt have bothered going back late night, thats a fact. I am not "Blaming" the ship. This was simply my opinion of the late night facilities and we were very surprised as celebrity, which is known as a more subdued line, has way more going on into the wee sma hours for groups older than 35.

There are people on here, reading what they WANT to read. How cruel and offensive. I am a nice person, and dont deserve such abuse:( Not nice. But hey, if it makes your day to abuse someone, go ahead, my life is filled with far too many blessings for words to hurt:)

NO, not at all. You commented in a fair and respectable manner which I duly respect. I wasnt sure how to quote and then follow on, but hoped the space would ensure you didnt think I was blaming you for abuse Totally respect your opinion.

Thanks. :)

I cancelled a party for 30 people remember. I am simply pointing out to potential cruisers in the RS, the pitfalls. The suite may be designed for entertaining, but not necessarily used for its intended purpose. From previous experiences, we have numerous times been to parties on Penthouses, Royal Suites, Celebrity Suites, Sky suites AND CABINS... NEVER EVER experienced this before.

Your experience is helpful in pointing out the noise issues that can arise when entertaining in your cabin, both for people booking a large suite as well as booking next door or underneath. As far late night parties being accepted practice... YMMV. I think it depends on the combination of your preferred party volume, soundproofing in the walls/floors, and the noise sensitivity of your neighbors. For example I don't party late and am a light sleeper and if there was a party over my head it would probably disturb me a lot. Who's right and who's wrong then? I don't know... but if I make a complaint I assure you I'm not making it up and it's not a personal vendetta thing. If I know you I'll probably go to you directly... if I don't... I'd prefer to go through security to avoid a possible confrontation with drunken partygoers. Again, nothing personal, just a precaution if I don't know you. Either way Neighborliness and Courtesy go a long way! :) Inviting others is neighborly. Reacting calmly to security is courtesy. Cancelling your plans to accomodate noise complaints is considerate.

I do object to the staff thing on the dance floor... in my review, that we felt RCI was missing a late night party area for the mid age group.

I hear you on that. Public dance venues on the ship should cater to the pax. If they turned off my 80's grooves in favor of music calculated to appeal to the staff I'd be annoyed as well.

I want to side with Lushpuppy on some of this one.

If I had paid for a room that includes a grand piano and surround stereo system, then by all rights I should be able to use the amenities. That room was built to be a room for entertaining guests. Why put a piano in the room if it can't be used?

I feel for the people below, but I can understand where the Royal Suite guests are coming from. Maybe the rooms below the RS need a warning of some kind when being booked?

I just hope that if it ever happens to me, and I have Lushpuppy above me, that I get that invite! :D:D

I think in hindsight (which IS a great thing), perhaps RCI were wrong not to pass on the complaints about the piano. Remember, the only complaints we received were the ONE about the piano early morning, and the 7pm complaints and the ONE late night party. It was the music ones which we grouched about. BUT, had we known how much it was affecting others, sure we would have been considerate, we are NOT that mean! Megs room however was not below the music, it was below the piano, and quite honestly, it is hard to stop someone entering the room and not clanging a few keys. I wasnt particularly fond of it either I can assure you! I did like the auto thing first day, as it was exciting, but other than that, nah, unless you have an actual pianist in the room then couldn't have cared less whether it was there or not.

I also regret that I didnt meet with Meg from word go. If we had met, perhaps between us she could have let us know how much noise she was getting, and we could have agreed a level which would have been good for us both. We would actually have ran a volume test run with her to see at what point did it affect her room...

Anyway, nuff said, its all history now. I just hope future cruisers both in the RS and below, learn from it. If you are in the RS, do be aware of the sound system, and if you are below, and it is annoying you, suggest you either life the phone, or preferably call in person, and reach a mutual agreement.

Looks to me, like me and Meg had a communication problem more than anything else. I AM sorry Meg that we didnt bury this on the ship, I only wish we had met and made some peace...I would even have put that Springstein on for you:D

As such, I assume they are well aware of the layout of Explorer. The desire however to acquire a so called “hump” cabin which provides a bigger balcony for the same cost to an identical cabin elsewhere on the ship, to them obviously outweighed the risk of being below the Royal Suite. When booking for OUR elderly guests, we chose quiet locations where they will not be disturbed! Do NOT choose a cabin simply because it is on the so called “hump” and ignore the fact that you are below a 1000sqft of entertaining space!
Based on your comments above, I assume you met the people below you and heard their reasoning behind booking their cabin.

If not, here is another perspective on this. My Paw Paw, who is 83, has a common problem among the elderly - mobility. Paw Paw uses a cane to get around so walking long distances between the cabin and the elevator is not easy for him. We have tried to get him to use a wheelchair on occasion, but he won't do it. I have personally stayed in cabin 9588 on Brilliance which is directly below the Royal Suite. I never heard anything from the cabin above (maybe we just didn't have partiers that cruise or maybe Brilliance has better sound-proofing - can't say). Based on that experience, I wouldn't have thought twice about booking a cabin for an elderly person below the Royal Suite, even on Explorer. In my opinion, the hump is the best place for an elderly person with mobility problems because of the easy access to elevators. You're stated that the person in the cabin below you booked the cabin simply for a larger balcony without even thinking about the location. Maybe they were basing their choice on a previous experience and were trying to get a cabin close to the elevator. I know I would have made that same mistake. If your elderly travelers do not have a mobility problem then maybe a "quieter" area further from the hump suits them better. Just my thoughts.

I just hope that if it ever happens to me, and I have Lushpuppy above me, that I get that invite! :D:D

Me too! I'd love to check out the fabulous RS! Although I'm not much of a dancer. :o

Lushpuppy, congratulations on your daughter's engagement. Can't think of a better place to ask the question. :)

Archived