when it's raining, what do YOU do?

bluenoser2

Just don your raincoat and/or open your umbrella and go on with your day. Either that or, if it's a torrential downpour, elect to stay on the ship. Alaska weather can go all over the map, and can change during the day.

In looking at rainwear, I'd suggest you look for 'waterproof' and not 'water resistant.' If it rains really hard, you will want the former for sure.

We wore waterproof shoes and a hooded waterproof jacket. I wore water resistant windpants, my DH wore jeans. My DH had packed some vinyl pants (it is what he owned we didn't see the need to buy something new) in his backback just in case we got caught in a downpour. However, we just had that misty rain. With our layers we stayed dry and relatively warm. When we were in Ketchikan it rained all morning for our excursion. We were going to head to town when we returned, but instead went on the ship, had an early lunch and just warmed up a bit. It was a raw kind of cold that day. By the time we finished lunch the weather had started to break and we we were able to walk around town. Eventually the sun came out too, which was nice.

In Juneau we went on the Tracy Arm excursion. That was a misty rainy day too. We were able to spend some time out on deck and stayed dry with what we wore. However, had the day been nicer, we would have stayed on deck the whole time.

If you want to see Alaska you have to be prepared for all weather. You can't let the rain stop you, or you won't get to see much. We did not bother with umbrellas. That would just have been another thing to pack and carry. The hooded waterproof jacket and water resistant pants worked for me. If you are buying pants, I would suggest buying the waterproof ones. However, my daughter had the windpants and I did not want to buy something else. I checked them at home and the water beaded off.

mid-sept in '06..in juneau we had sleet and rain on whale watching trip. had my rain slicker and water-proof shoes. in ketchikan we had heavy rain. in ketchikan, between the wind and rain...we gave up. did a little shopping and went back to the ship.

hated the people with umbrellas, the sidewalks are very narrow and crowded...trying to avoid the pointy ends of the umbrellas became difficult.

I just pull up the hood on my rain jacket and keep right on going!

Living here in the Seattle area, I've learned to take rain in stride. It's just part of life, and if we avoided doing things when it was raining, we wouldn't do much at all.

I agree with Cathi about umbrellas. I never use them at all. They are such a PITA, for both the user and others around them. I hate carrying around a sopping wet umbrella in shops, opening and closing it all the time, etc. And I hate inconsiderate umbrella users who don't pay attention to who they are poking as they walk through a crowd. I especially dislike it when people give umbrellas to hyper children who swing them all over, spray water on people, poke people, etc. If I didn't wear glasses, I might have lost an eye at some of our local festivals.

The first time I went to Alaska, it only really rained hard (well, what I would call hard!) one day, in Ketchikan. I just put on my rain jacket and went shopping. I walked all over Creek Street and had a wonderful time. Other days we had misty, drizzly rain, but that is so common here that it doesn't faze me at all. I don't even bother with the rain jacket or hood most of the time, unless I'm going to be out for an extended period.

I know that not everyone is used to dealing with rain like us North Westerners. But, like others have said, don't let the rain ruin your trip! You will almost certainly encounter rain of some level during your stay in Alaska. Bring your rain jacket, but save some space in your luggage and leave the *%#@& umbrella at home! :cool:

Here in Alaska, you just dress for the rain and off we go. Some summers if you didn't you'd never get out of the house :D

Dress in layers and make sure that the last one is waterproof. I prefer mine with a hood versus handling an umbrella.

Susan in Anchorage :)

What have you done, and what have you worn (assuming you braved the elements) when it's been a rainy port day in Alaska? What's the best water gear we can manage to pack and wear? Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau are our port stops.

The same thing I do here. Put on my waterproofed 3 in 1 (or parts of it), my water resistant shoes and go on about my business (otherwise I would not go out a whole lot during rainy season).

Don't take an umbrella, they have a tendency to turn inside out. Take a good slicker or waterproofed jacket and make sure you have waterproofed one of your pairs of "sneaks", and you should be fine.

I agree with Cathi about umbrellas. I never use them at all. They are such a PITA, for both the user and others around them. I hate carrying around a sopping wet umbrella in shops, opening and closing it all the time, etc. And I hate inconsiderate umbrella users who don't pay attention to who they are poking as they walk through a crowd.

Good points.

We used light waterproof jackets with hoods over our fleece pullovers. We wore jeans and sneakers, which did get wet. Although we felt the cold we were in such awe of everything we saw that we hardly noticed being cold until we were back on ship. We carried an umbrella in our backpack and never opened it.

I would suggest that you use a waterproof spray on your backback or carry bag.

Thanks for all the good suggestions and tips - and just for the record.....I don't even own an umbrella so no worries there - after years of living in the prairies where the wind would have carried it to Kansas, and now living on the east coast - I'm used to rain - just wondered if I was going to expect the drizzly type or the downpour-can't-see-out-my-glasses type!

Thanks for all the good suggestions and tips - and just for the record.....I don't even own an umbrella so no worries there - after years of living in the prairies where the wind would have carried it to Kansas, and now living on the east coast - I'm used to rain - just wondered if I was going to expect the drizzly type or the downpour-can't-see-out-my-glasses type!

When I was a kid, there was just a continual drizzle. Now there's more and more of the downpour, which is quite annoying, because that's how you get wet. So, unfortunately, I think you have to come prepared for both if you plan on doing outdoor activities.

Take a good slicker or waterproofed jacket and make sure you have waterproofed one of your pairs of "sneaks", and you should be fine.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good waterproofing spray? I have some great Merrill shoes but I want to spray them just to be safe. I also would like to spray my pants and backpack.

Anyone have any suggestions for a good waterproofing spray? I have some great Merrill shoes but I want to spray them just to be safe. I also would like to spray my pants and backpack.

Hi LMZ- I use a silicone spray from Walmart, Kmart etc. Can't recall the name but it has a flouresent orange cap. Be sure to "test" a small area to check for permanent stain.

What have you done, and what have you worn (assuming you braved the elements) when it's been a rainy port day in Alaska? What's the best water gear we can manage to pack and wear? Ketchikan, Skagway and Juneau are our port stops.

only rained in Ketchikan-i walked Creek street and went into a museaum then shopped and by then it was dry out. afternoon flight for crab feast.

when i travel i always go no matter what. I can dry off and my clothes can too. I just make sure I am warm.

Archived