What Kind of price on Crystal Champagne?

ducklite,

OK,I won't get into my personal wealth either because it has zero to do with Crystal champagne.

However,after being in the fine wine trade for many,many years and having tasted the finest champagnes blind numerous times,I can clearly state that Dom Perignon came in DEAD last almost EVERY time.Period.

One cannot compare Crystal to Dom Perignon,which is made almost every year.The demand for this so-called "top cuvee" champagne is so strong (me thinks because people like to pronounce it...D o m P e r i g n o n),how could it ever be as good as the top houses produce?It can't and it isn't.

Crystal,on the other hand,is only produced in great vintages and therefore,is always a superior product.

Zero comparison,in my humble opinion.

Of course,since we are talking about fine bubbly,let's not discount Krug (gotta love that barrel-aged beauty!),Heidsieck-Monopole,or a fine Billecart-Salmon Rose,one of my all-time favorites.

I remember fondly when a friend of mine was celebrating purchasing his new house with a magnum of '82 Crystal Rose.That vintage was so spectacular,I thought I was seeing things (or was that the fact that I had too much)?

I think I remember him pouring some into a bowl for his dog!!!

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by awatt:

While Mr Trymp has lots of money,I would not consider him a pinnacle of class. That's exactly my point. Unquestionably successful,yes. Classy,no.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'm so glad someone feels this way about him. He nauseates me. Everyone seems to think he hung the moon and all I can do is --> icon_rolleyes.gif

Is Crystal really THAT good? Better than a $50 bottle of Vueve Clicquot or something similar?

Navigator of the Seas 5/1/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I was not comparing the two, I was stating my preferences. And for the record, I'd also prefer Perrier-Jouet Grand Brut to Cristal.

Just my preference, and I don't see why that's such a problem with you.

One of my best friends enjoys Martini and Rossi Asti-Spumante. I would never think less of her for this taste. It perplexes me perhaps, but it's HER palette, not mine, so to each their own.

Anne

ducklite,

It doesn't bother me in the least if you prefer kool-aid to Crystal,I was just making a point that if you're comparing Dom Perignon to Crystal,there simply is NO comparison whatsoever.It is in fact an inferior product in comparison and it's popularity is so great only because people like to say it.Read any wine tasting review comparing the two and the facts will become as clear as the bottle Crystal is sold in.

Everyone has different tastes.If everyone wanted to drink Crystal,there wouldn't be enough to go around.

P-J Grand Brut is a fine champagne made by a fine,consistant house.It is made in a much lighter "house style" than the more powerful,richer vintage bottled Crystal.Since Crystal is a "blanc de blanc" ("white from white or 100% chardonnay),it tends towards the more intense flavors I described above.

DedeM,

Veuve-Cliquot is also another fantastic house making consistantly good wines.If you are comparing a non-vintage Veuve to a vintage-bottled Crystal than there is usually a big step in depth and richness of flavors,especially the great "length" these wines have on the finish.

If you are comparing the Veuve-Clicquot "La Grand Dame" (their finest offering) to Crystal,than that's a tasting I want to be invited to!

"a bad day at sea is better than a great day at work and a lousy day at sea is still pretty damn good!"

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruiserforlife:

ducklite,

It doesn't bother me in the least if you prefer kool-aid to Crystal<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Depends, grape or cherry flavor? icon_wink.gif

Anne

To attempt to get back on topic:

We absolutely love Cliquot Grand Dame. Krug and Perrier Joet (flower bottle) are wonderful as well. We always start off a cruise with a good bottle of bubbly. Puts us in "vacation mode". Anyone else?

Sue

NOTHING IS BETTER THAN THIS!

Nordic Empress '95

Norway '96

Granduer of the Seas '97

Mercury '98

Voyager of the Seas '99

Zenith '01

Millenium '02

Constellation '03

Constellation '04

Brilliance of the Seas '05

ducklite,

Good sense of humor! icon_wink.gif

Speavey,

Just one bottle?I usually start,continue,and finish the cruise quaffing bubbly.

Isn't that what cruises are for? icon_biggrin.gif

cruiserforlife:

Thats to start with!!!!! icon_smile.gif We usually spend most of the cruise at the champagne bar. Walking around in a champagne stupor!! Love that bubbly!!

Sue

NOTHING IS BETTER THAN THIS!

Nordic Empress '95

Norway '96

Granduer of the Seas '97

Mercury '98

Voyager of the Seas '99

Zenith '01

Millenium '02

Constellation '03

Constellation '04

Brilliance of the Seas '05

Speavey, this is my first cruise since 1985 and we're looking forward to toasting with some Veuve Cliquot (I'll never get that spelling right no matter how much of it I drink!). We're bringing a few with us for other toasts (we'll make some up as we go along) icon_biggrin.gif

Cruiserforlife: thanks for the tips. I've never had the Grand Dame. I love the orange labeled bottle (I'm sorry I can't remember which one it is, all that french makes my eyes glaze over) and it's consistantly delicious, so I wonder how a $100 can be THAT much greater. Maybe I'm just cheap icon_biggrin.gif ONe day I'll try Crystal or Grand Dame. Down here in Florida we have a problem getting a tremendous selection, it's the same things, all the time. Wish I lived in California! icon_biggrin.gif

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;1;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Speavey,

Ah,yes...a good bottle (or four icon_biggrin.gif),some nice beluga caviar or some nice raw oysters while watching the sun set into the ocean...

"DOES IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT???"

DedeM,

Yes,the tete cuvee (best of the house) is always a special treat meant to be saviored but you can usually go 2 bottles to 1 of the regular-priced stuff so you just keep right on enjoying your Veuve Cliqout (in the orange label) and have a fantastic cruise!

And yes,I do get spoiled living here in sunny CA.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cruiserforlife:

Speavey,

Ah,yes...a good bottle (or four icon_biggrin.gif),some nice beluga caviar or some nice raw oysters while watching the sun set into the ocean...

"DOES IT GET ANY BETTER THAN THAT???"

DedeM,

Yes,the tete cuvee (best of the house) <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Is tete cuvee the grand dame? or is the crystal, I'm getting confused now icon_wink.gif

They don't serve oysters and beluga on these RCI ships, do they??? God, I'd be in heaven!!

Maybe for my 6 yr anniversary we'll splurge on Crystal or tete cuvee or whatever and some caviar icon_biggrin.gif

hmmm... I'm getting hungry and thirsty icon_wink.gif

DedeM,

Sorry for confusing you,I didn't mean to.

Tete Cuvee (or best of the house),is a designation for a particular champagne house's best of the best.For example,with Roederer,it's Crystal.For Moet & Chandon,it's Dom,and for Veuve Cliquot,it's La Grand Dame and so forth.

Yes,the Champagne bar and other various upscale bars onboard do serve caviar and I do believe you can get beluga or at least sevruga.We saw it all the time on Princess.I don't know if you'll find raw oysters though,you may have to enjoy that at home BEFORE the cruise.

ducklite,

Great champagne bar aboard the NOS near the promanade although I didn't frequent it,I did look at the menu.Good selection of champagnes available both by the glass & bottle.

Cruiserforlife

Could you drop me a line at [email]BigTee3011@yahoo.com[/email]. I would like to ask a couple questions privately... Thanks

Talmadge

RCCL Sovereign Mar 99
RCCL Voyager June 01
RCCL Explorer Sept 02
Carn Fantasy Jun03
<center>[img]http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/img/ex-rt-strip.gif[/img]
<font face=arial size=2>

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by realtor1:
Hey, I'm not P-diddy, but I would love to hook up with a bottle of Crys for my cruise on May 1st!! If I could find $100 bottles, I'd be in heaven. Jamaica is out (obviously for those of us that have been there), but what about Grand Cayman? Point me in the right direction and look out. Thanks.

[url="http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;1;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500"]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;5;1;16;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/url]
Bachelor Party Begins on Enchantment of the Seas
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Let me know what you find out. We are going to be in Grand Cayman at the end of May on the Mariner or the Seas.
Thanks.

Okay, well I believe that it is spelled CRISTAL. You can check this out at the following site:
[url="http://www.champagne-roederer.com/index_2.html"]Louis Roederer Cristal Champagne[/url]

But, no matter how anyone spells it, I agree with cruiseforlife - Dom Perignon comes in at the bottom of my list. I'd rather have a bottle of Korbel than Dom!

Our very first bottle of Cristal was on the Monarch of the Seas in 1995. They had a "special" that you get the bottle of Cristal and some scallops and a whole bunch of other appetizers (don't remember what else) for the low, low price of $95.00 (Back in '95 that was a lot of money - but we decided to splurge.) Have not seen Cristal on ships at all lately. Probably cost prohibitive.

My husband thinks that I may have been wrong when I said $100.00 in St. Maarten - he thinks it was about $115.00. Whatever - it's still a fantastic price. We can't find it anywhere around here for less than $179.00!! (Needless to say, we don't drink it anymore unless we find it for a great price.)

Julie: If you read this before you take your cruise - Enjoy! and hope you can find a bottle in Grand Cayman!

Marianne
Royal Caribbean - 23; Carnival - 11; NCL - 9
Princess - 4; Costa - 2; Disney - 1; Celebrity - 1
Other now defunct lines - 18

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;10;8;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Our Jewel of the Seas Canada/NE Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;11;21;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Our Radiance Thanksgiving Cruise

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;12;24;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
Until Our Brilliance Christmas Cruise

• 2 weeks later...
has anyone else seen a good price on cristal????????

RCCL Sovereign Mar 99
RCCL Voyager June 01
RCCL Explorer Sept 02
Carn Fantasy Jun03
<center>[img]http://www.rsmas.miami.edu/rccl/img/ex-rt-strip.gif[/img]
<font face=arial size=2>

I'm an Oste Spumonti...$8 a bottle type of gal...but I'd too like to know where to buy a inexpensive bottle of Crysal...now and again...it is nice to get a peak at how the other half lives.

My first balcony on the Vision!!! 2/20/05
[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=da70d6&cdt=2005;2;20;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0800[/img]
RCCL Majesty of the Seas - April 2004
Carnival Inspiration - June 2003
RCCL Monarch of the Seas - July 2002

Just got back from the Serenade repositioning cruise. In St Thomas the choice of champagne was very poor in A.H.Riise.
They had Dom, Perrier Jouet and Mumms CR.
The price of the Dom was $90, which is more than it can be bought for here in California. They had no Cristal, which we can get for $149 in Ca.
Last time I saw Cristal for sale on an RCI ship was in 2002 on Legend of the Seas and it was $240.
As for the spelling, I don't have a bottle to check, but I just checked a cork and it says"CRISTAL".

[img]http://domania.us/DaveEdwards/Martini2.gif[/img]
[img]http://domania.us/DaveEdwards/Shaken.gif[/img]

I have found reading this topic of interest for two reasons. First, those who profess to have knowledge of fine champagne in each post expose the most basic ignorance, the proper spelling of Cristal ( I have sailed on Crystal Cruise lines and enjoyed Cristal champagne).

Secondly, I would agree with those posters who object to the listing of a persons real estate holdings as providing proof of being cultured.

Actually, having vast real estate holdings either mean you are on your way to becoming a small country, or deeply in debt, or both.

Good luck to the original poster, who asked a reasonable question in an unreasonable forum. Might I suggest you re-direct your question to the cruise line. the information is likely to be up to date, accurate and less opinionated.

Like Mine!

CaseyT

Archived