Flights & VAT

David&Heather

Looking into NCL cruises, like their infomal style and the look of the ships, been cruising with Ocean Village but unfortunately they will not be an option after 2010, sent off for a UK NCL brochure but would like a few points clarifying if those on here could help:

For cruises starting in Barcelona does the brochure price include flights from / to the UK?

Does the brochure price include UK VAT?

Hi David and Heather,

There should be two columns for most cruises, one is cruise only, the price from the port, the other is fly-cruise.

I've been on both OV and NCL and enjoyed both. I also find the prices for balcony cabins very favourable on NCL. Prices for oceanview aren't as competitive, but then there are far fewer oceanview cabins relative to balconies on NCL. Brochure prices do include VAT, but if you get a discounted price you may need to check for taxes etc.

We've just booked another cruise on NCL. Its mad really, even though my DH works in the travel industry (for an airline) and qualifies to use the US industry sites, we managed to get the cheapest deal through Thomas Cook, go figure! I think it has something to do with the horrendous £/$ at the moment and Thos Cook was particularly competitive (it was better than the UK trade sites too).

I posted a review of NCL vs OV over on the OV board if that helps further.

Thanks Sally.

Quite like the look of the NCL ships, don’t care for the American style tipping on board but that’s a cultural thing and after some advice on the OV board we now have an idea on how much it will add to the overall cost.

Our other option is one of the less formal P&O ships but after asking on their board we are unsure if the informal approach will work on their ships due to a customer base that is very resistant to change, whilst we are no scruffs it's a definite no to penguin suits and tiara's:(

At present it’s 65 / 35 in favour of NCL post OV.

Does the brochure price include UK VAT?
I don't think VAT is chargeable on travel, including package holidays. Anyway, the brochure price will include any VAT there might be.
... don’t care for the American style tipping on board ...
Don't let this bother you. You'll either get a tipping-inclusive price (so there's nothing more to pay on board), or you will get it discreetly added to your onboard account so you don't have to do any tipping that way either, at least in respect of the usual crew that you'll encounter - I can't remember off the top of my head which way round NCL's current brochure does it.

No VAT applicable on cruises

UK brochure and online http://www.uk.ncl.com include taxes, on-line includes tips

Check http://www.ncl.com prices are sometimes cheaper

Online TA's in the UK and US undercut NCL on-line prices.

NCL has been cheaper than OV when we have looked at prices door to door including tips.

NCL air is usualy not included or not the cheapest option for UK pax but many agents bundle better options.

Archived