Electricity Converter in Europe

grammy158

Hi all. We leave in 3 weeks for our TA to Barcelona. I understand that our PH3 will have electrical outlets that will of course accomodate our computer, cell phone charger, etc. But I realized when we get to Barcelona for our 5 day post cruise stay, we may not have such a luxury in the rental I've secured. So I went looking at Amazon for a converter. I AM THOROUGLY CONFUSED!! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should watch out for. What sort of product exactly, do I need? Thanks, Elizabeth

Hi all. We leave in 3 weeks for our TA to Barcelona. I understand that our PH3 will have electrical outlets that will of course accomodate our computer, cell phone charger, etc. But I realized when we get to Barcelona for our 5 day post cruise stay, we may not have such a luxury in the rental I've secured. So I went looking at Amazon for a converter. I AM THOROUGLY CONFUSED!! Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should watch out for. What sort of product exactly, do I need? Thanks, Elizabeth

First you have to look at the electrical items you're taking with you and determine the voltage they can run at. In North America, the voltage's usually 110-120v and in the EU it's usually 200-220v. However, many items can run between 100-240 volts (for example, my camera battery charger) and it's shown in the little writing on power.

If they all have this (around 100-240v), then all you will need are plug adapters which are inexpensive. All they do is allow the North American prongs to physically fit into the EU prongs. The electrical conversion stuff is automatically done by the electrical item's circuitry itself.

However, if the range is only 100-120v, then in addition to the adapters, you will also need a converter to change the 200-240 voltage coming from the EU outlets to 100-120v.

In simple terms, look at the power supply on your electrical items. What information is there will tell you if you need just inexpensive physical adapters or if you need a power converter as well.

You will want to buy a kit that has a converter and several adapters. You never really know what type of plug you will find. Below are several examples. Since you said you were searching amazon I used them also to find the examples. Have a great trip.

http://www.amazon.com/Samsonite-Converter-Adaptor-Plug-Pouch/dp/B000A8MTOM/ref=tag_tag_ptcn_edpp_url

http://www.amazon.com/Recoton-ADF1650-Wattage-Travel-Converter/dp/B000028F42/ref=pd_sbs_a_3

Archived