Italian beach excursion

There is a Celebrity excursion that takes you to Pisa and then to an Italian beach club with beach, pool, etc. Has anyone out there taken this excursion? I am thinking that after being in Rome for a day, it might be nice to do something layed back for a day vs. going to Florence for another long day of museums. What are the beaches and the water like in that part of Italy?

There is a Celebrity excursion that takes you to Pisa and then to an Italian beach club with beach, pool, etc. Has anyone out there taken this excursion? I am thinking that after being in Rome for a day, it might be nice to do something layed back for a day vs. going to Florence for another long day of museums. What are the beaches and the water like in that part of Italy?

Is the beach Viareggio? What time of year are you going? Water temps will depend on weather.

I stayed a couple of weeks in Lucca, very close to Viareggio. It was highly recommended by the owners of teh B&B as a lovely beach, with a very long wood plank promenade . I never made it as I was busy doing other stuff, but I imagine it would be a pleasant stop. Beginning of Sept should be still warm but I don't know about water temps. Have you ever been to Lucca? Very easy to get on your own from Livorno and it's a lovely city. You could do Pisa and Lucca as you would need to change trains in Pisa on your way to Lucca.

Yes, the beach is at Viareggio. We would be there the first week in September.

Viareggio is a beach resort town. It is basically wall-to-wall beach clubs. There is very little public beach access. Suggest that you go to maps.google.com and search for Viareggio. Zoom in until you narrow down to a few block and then switch to satellite view. You will clearly see the different clubs and the beach chairs lined up within each one.

Given the choice of this or Viareggio or Florence, I'd opt for the later. Just because you are in Florence does not mean you have to go to museums. It is a beautiful city. Take a bus to the Piazza Michelangelo and just relax and enjoy the views of the whole valley!

Archived