"do not upgrade"

emilygrace

We recently switched from an EE gty to an assigned E cabin when the pricing changed and all the oceanview cabins EE and higher became the same price. My TA emailed me a list of all the oceanviews that were available and this was the best of the lot, to me. She checked the "do not upgrade" box on our booking because I did not want to take the chance of being moved to any of the other available OVs.

What I am wondering now is if HAL could possibly still contact us (via our TA) about an upsell, even though we have checked the "DNU" box? To me, an upsell is different from a free upgrade, where they pick the cabin.

I am just thinking that if it got close to sailing time and there were still verandah cabins available, would they offer an upsell, hopefully at a price that I feel is reasonable?

Just curious as I am content with our chosen cabin, but I can never resist a balcony cabin! Just felt that they were too pricey right now.

We recently switched from an EE gty to an assigned E cabin when the pricing changed and all the oceanview cabins EE and higher became the same price. My TA emailed me a list of all the oceanviews that were available and this was the best of the lot, to me. She checked the "do not upgrade" box on our booking because I did not want to take the chance of being moved to any of the other available OVs.

What I am wondering now is if HAL could possibly still contact us (via our TA) about an upsell, even though we have checked the "DNU" box? To me, an upsell is different from a free upgrade, where they pick the cabin.

I am just thinking that if it got close to sailing time and there were still verandah cabins available, would they offer an upsell, hopefully at a price that I feel is reasonable?

Just curious as I am content with our chosen cabin, but I can never resist a balcony cabin! Just felt that they were too pricey right now.

Sounds a bit like the defendant's attorney at a rape trial "I know she said NO your honor but my client thought she said YES"

Thanks for your replies. I know I can't have it both ways....."don't move me, but can I move if I like the selection". Believe me, I thought long and hard about staying with the gty. or picking a cabin. I am happy with my decision and I know I will enjoy my cruise, our first on HAL. Their oceanview cabins are bigger than any balcony cabin we've had on other lines!

There's always a chance you'll be upgraded by 'accident' too. People post about that all the time.

If you're really adamant about your chosen 'E' stateroom, you can always call Holland America directly with your booking number to confirm that your TA has requested 'No Upgrade'.

(Even then some few people say they get moved - but it's pretty rare.)

Welcome to Holland America Lines - I hope you enjoy your cruise!

YES, on our 3-day Eurodam cruise we booked an outside and said "DNU", but our TA still called us with an upsell offer to a verandah guarantee. It was too much IMO, and I declined. That was about 10 weeks before sailing.

The cruise sailed, I believe, at about 60% capacity ... many of whom were TAs and "advance" planning people for the charter the following week.

Yes, this is just what I was talking about....having DNU on your booking, but being offered an upsell, at a price. I was just wondering if they would still contact us (or rather, our TA) if we had the DNU in place. So they might.....good to know.

Yes it can happen! We had noted that we didn't wish a free upgrade but would consider an upsell on our December 2008 cruise. About a week before sailing we were contacted by our TA and offered upsell. We had booked an inside, and were quoted prices for either OV ($100) or Verandah. (approx $500 pp) We were very happy with our upsell (took the OV). We had booked about 8 months prior to sailiing and made sure our TA was aware we'd consider upsells.

I only say "Do not upgrade" if:

#1 - This is a cabin I want because of size, location, or family members near by

#2 - The above

Our first cruise on HAL I said no upgrades because my dad was across the hall.

Our second cruise we agreed to be offered an upgrade from an SY. It was only the two of us sailing to celebrate our 5th wedding anniversary. We were offered a wonderful upsell to a SB.

Our upcoming 3rd cruise, I have said no to an upgrade for us because we have a big aft deck. I did say yes to my son's being upgraded from their inside to something else. We'll see what happens.

Going forward, if it's just the two of us - I'm willing to be offered an upgrade. Maybe we'd take it, maybe we wouldn't.

we booked 2 rooms - category MM (inside) and next to each other and were just offered a free upgrade to a deluxe veranda suite - category S.

this is a pretty good upgrade but now instead of 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms the 4 of us (husband, wife & 2 kids) will be sharing 1 room and 1 bathroom. Not sure if we should have accepted but maybe it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Well, ya just never know, do you? On all our cruises prior to last summer's Eurodam inaugural, we've always had the TA put Do Not Upgrade on our booking. We very carefully choose our cabin location & category. We like knowing where we're going to be & what we're paying for.

However, for the Eurodam, after loving the verandah's on Noordam so much, we had to downgrade ourselves to an obstructed oceanview - $$$$$ :eek:. We selected a specific G-category cabin, but thought why not roll the dice? We just wanted a phone call prior so that we could accept or decline.

A few weeks prior to sailing, we were offered an upsell to a verandah cabin for an additional $800/pp for the 10 day sailing. We laughed and made a ridiculous lowball counter offer. This negotiation went on for a couple of weeks. We wound up in a VA on Deck 8 for an extra $200/pp!

Right now we're booked into a D-category in a fab location on Ryndam for Alaska. But we're thinking maybe............

So, who knows? As long as you can accept or decline, why not? :)

we booked 2 rooms - category MM (inside) and next to each other and were just offered a free upgrade to a deluxe veranda suite - category S.

this is a pretty good upgrade but now instead of 2 rooms and 2 bathrooms the 4 of us (husband, wife & 2 kids) will be sharing 1 room and 1 bathroom. Not sure if we should have accepted but maybe it's a once in a lifetime opportunity.

If you don't mind - what ship/date/itinerary is that on?

/s/ Green with envy.:D

If you don't mind - what ship/date/itinerary is that on?

/s/ Green with envy.:D

We are on the Veendam out of Tampa this Saturday, Feb. 21, 2009. Booked the rooms before Christmas and had 2 inside cabins but now the S suite. I was disappointed at first - we are now sharing a room with our 2 daughters - but I'll get over it after reading about all the perks for Deluxe Suite passengers.

Archived