Hello!

watermelon5

Hi. I am new to this so please bear with me if I ask a question that has been asked before. I am considering a cruise for my next vacation and am torn between Carnival and Norwegian. Has anyone out there done both? If so, do you recommend one over the other? Thanks for your answers.

Hi. I am new to this so please bear with me if I ask a question that has been asked before. I am considering a cruise for my next vacation and am torn between Carnival and Norwegian. Has anyone out there done both? If so, do you recommend one over the other? Thanks for your answers.

About all I can tell you is we have always had a blast on Carnival while my neighbors have tried NCL and said they hated it...

I sailed on Norwegian in May 2007 (first cruise) and had a good time. We didn't care much for the dining room food, but found the buffet was quite nice. Went on Carnival in Sept 2007 and thought it was much better. The dining room food was terrific, but we felt the buffet wasn't that great. Also found that the entertainment on Carnival was much better than Norwegian.

I would suggest that if you want a more relaxed feel, ie dining whenever you want to then go with Norwegian. Personally I think you'll have a great time no matter which cruise line you take. Remember you get out of it what you put into it.

Haven't been on NCL yet, but have booked the Jewel for 2010! :)

From my research, NCL caters to a more relaxed, middle-aged clientel..

No hairy chest contest, no skinny leg competition.. Partying until the middle of the night is probably missing as well!!:p

Naturally, on this board, you will get a big NO NO to most anything NCL...

On the NCL board, if you are looking for fun, fun, fun.. they will probably recommend CCL!:p;) IMHO!

No hairy chest contest, no skinny leg competition.. Partying until the middle of the night is probably missing as well!!:p

Naturally, on this board, you will get a big NO NO to most anything NCL...

On the NCL board, if you are looking for fun, fun, fun.. they will probably recommend CCL!:p;) IMHO!

They had a hairy chest and hairy leg contest along with a belly-flop contest on our NCL cruise in May 07. I'm sure they still have that unless they've made drastic changes.

QUOTE]

Have to chuckle about this.

DH & I are both 61 and have cruised NCL and Carnival several times as well as a few other mass market cruiselines. We both enjoy NCL & Carnival, NCL for its more laid back dress code and freestyle dining seating and Carnival for its more upbeat entertainment.

However on our last Carnival Cruise in January DH & I were among the younger crowd on board.:D

As far as the food on both lines, after 25 cruises on several lines we have found you can not judge a cruiseline on dining quality by just one or two cruises on that line. Head chefs change on all cruise lines from time to time.

We sailed Carnival Valor a couple of years ago in Nov. and sailed the Valor again in April. While the dining room food was OK on the Nov. cruise we noticed a distinct change in taste and plating appeal in April. Maitre'd explained the ship had had a change in head chefs. The menus were identical but the chef on the second cruise had added his own flair to the dishes.

Dianne

They had a hairy chest and hairy leg contest along with a belly-flop contest on our NCL cruise in May 07. I'm sure they still have that unless they've made drastic changes.

I believe the choice of fun contests such as these is up to the ship's cruise director and entertainment staff. Have sailed on NCL & Carnival ships that have included them and some that have not.

Dianne

I just recently read a long review on the NCL board about a cruise on the NCL Jewel, and these 'contests' were mentioned as being non-existent!:p

It is apparently a 'change' that was noted by the OP... Even the Pool Band was missing.., but I think that may have had something to do with logistics..:)

I'm fairly certain that attendance at a 'hairy leg' contest or any other happening [ex. muster drill] is NOT mandatory on either line.

Toss a coin, if you are going to be an addicted cruiser, you will love either cruise. And if you're hooked, take the other line for your next cruise.

On your first cruise, you will have nothing to compare so you will like it or not on its own merits. Keep that attitude and ALL cruises can be great!

I think its absolutely wacky to be on a NCL cruise and dissing them [actually yourself] because CCL or RCL or PCL does something different. Look for what NCL has for your pleasure, not what some line you ARE NOT ON had your last cruise.

I would pick Carnival over NCL in a heartbeat. But if NCL had the right itinerary at the right price and I booked it. [And exactly that HAS happened!] Carnival would not get a single thought while I'm on a NCL cruise.

Dan

Welcome, melon!!

I've sailed both but NCL was a number of years ago and nearly put me off cruising.

The passengers are different on Carnival, more active, younger (not that I'm terribly young but I AM real active!!!) and more fun. That's how it appears to me. Your mileage may vary.

I think the entertainment on Carnival is superior to most other lines as is the food.

Which ever line you choose you'll probably have a wonderful time!

Stick around... ask a bunch of questions and have fun!!!

Mach

Way back in the day, Carnival and NCL were of the same caliber, with Carnival's passenger mix skewing younger.

NCL started down the road to disaster once they were acquired by Star Line. At the same time, Carnival's quality increased tremendously.

I have sailed both. Both lines have their good things and bad things. NCL did seem more subdued but I had a blast on both. One thing that comes to mind that particularly enjoyed on NCL was the crafts. There doesn't seem to be a lot of that on Carnival and I enjoyed them. However, I have a great time on Carnival too. I usually choose based on price and dates. I think you'll have a good time no matter what you choose.

I have sailed both. Both lines have their good things and bad things. NCL did seem more subdued but I had a blast on both. One thing that comes to mind that particularly enjoyed on NCL was the crafts. There doesn't seem to be a lot of that on Carnival and I enjoyed them. However, I have a great time on Carnival too. I usually choose based on price and dates. I think you'll have a good time no matter what you choose.

dbogusch,

Please define "crafts", with respect to Norwegian Cruise Lines (NL). What specifically are you referring to? Thanks..... just trying to get a "sense" for what each cruise line may have to offer.....positive....negative....or otherwise. Thanks in advance for your time. :)

dbogusch,

Please define "crafts", with respect to Norwegian Cruise Lines (NL). What specifically are you referring to? Thanks..... just trying to get a "sense" for what each cruise line may have to offer.....positive....negative....or otherwise. Thanks in advance for your time. :)

Well on NCL we did little craft activities. For instance, once we made little salamander keychains out of beads. At another time we painted little tiles in a Mexican mosaic. It differs. On Carnival the only thing I saw like that during my cruise was a napkin folding class. I enjoyed the little crafts because I was able to make a small hand-made souvenir to take home. Some people thought the craft times were stupid but I really enjoyed them.

Welcome, melon!!

I've sailed both but NCL was a number of years ago and nearly put me off cruising.

The passengers are different on Carnival, more active, younger (not that I'm terribly young but I AM real active!!!) and more fun. That's how it appears to me. Your mileage may vary.

I think the entertainment on Carnival is superior to most other lines as is the food.

Which ever line you choose you'll probably have a wonderful time!

Stick around... ask a bunch of questions and have fun!!!

Mach

Ncl had me bored out of my mind, on top of bad service I also almost quit cruising. have decided to try ccl since rccl's pricing is just to high

I have been on both. While I enjoyed myself on both I felt Carnival was superior overall. I liked the decor on NCL better but the cabins were smaller. The food was not as good. I liked the concept of anytime dining on NCL, but in reality service suffered.

I have been on both. Leaving in 18 days for my second time on The Victory! I have been on NCL Spirit, Crown(2 times), Dawn, Sea (2 times), Norway and Southward.

When I travel with my kids I always go NCL. We like freestyle a lot. Kids love the kids club and activities. Husband has done sexy legs and hairy chest contest on EVERY NCL ship we have been on. Winning more than once!

Carnival is a little more formal in dining rooms. I personally don't like assigned seating times. NCL has us spoiled that way. This time all adults are going so nobody will complain about dressing up a little. Carnival is more glitzy than NCL.

I have NEVER been on a cruise I did not like!! I am not a picky eater so food has been fine on both.

It is a matter of taste which one is better. Go with an open mind and you will be fine on either.

Carnival would be my pick!! I've only ever sailed Carnival so I really can't compare. I would like to try another line but Carnival has been very good to me over the years with little to no problems. I can't imagine pulling into a port and docking next to a Carnival ship while I'm on, say for example, Royal Caribbean. I'd feel kinda guilty, like I was cheating!!

Don't get me wrong, not that I know what cheating is like!! lol But I'm guessing thats how it would feel.

Go Carnival!!

Archived