Are you First class or Steerage?

We recently reserved a GS... a few of the new perks pushed us towards the GS rather than the JS:

• Getting off the boat early at ports with tenders will allow us to make better arrangements with local dive operators. Most of the better dive ops aren't keen to work with cruise ship passengers because they can't predict when they'll get off of the ship (amongst other reasons).
  • We aren't much into formal dressing. With the new perks, we get access to the full menu as room service. We can have dinner in our jammies if we want!

Probably not important to most... but important to us! Oh, and you can use our seats by the pool. To date, we've never sat in a chair by the pool.

When we book a GS or above we don't care about how we are treated.

We just like the extra space in the cabin. Somedays we just sleep all day.

Who really cares as we're older and can't do a lot of the activities?

Why is this a problem?

Just noticed, (so may have been there a while), that these new suite perks are on RCI's homepage.

The following item has me baffled:

"Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships."

What's this all about? Any ideas or experiences with this?

Thanks.

Happy Sailing,

TnT

Just noticed, (so may have been there a while), that these new suite perks are on RCI's homepage.

The following item has me baffled:

"Private breakfast and lunch seating in specialty restaurants on our Voyager and Freedom Class ships."

What's this all about? Any ideas or experiences with this?

Thanks.

Happy Sailing,

TnT

Get your food in the Windjammer then go into one on the restaurants to sit. No standing, waiting, and looking for a table.

Why is this a problem?

I agree, We have gone once even inside, just to get on board and have fun. Usually get balcony for the extra morning lounge space, and the nice evennings.

Well we are for sure going to a 2 class system, very sad.

So when is the seperate dinning rooms, pools, and such. Sounds like old style cunard line/white star

We book a JS for the balcony and... what a snob I am... the bathtub!

We spend quite a bit of time lounging in our cabin and on the balcony, and it's well worth it. I don't begrudge anyone their perks. As in other areas of travel, you get what you pay for.

At some resorts you "purchase" a poolside chair that is yours for the duration of your stay. I guess I can see the reserved deck chairs as an extra the person has paid for, though I can see how this would be irksome for px who spend lots of time at the pool.

As long as the "perks" don't extend to the main public areas of the ship, like separate dining rooms, elevators, bars, etc. I have no problem with it.

I will start out by saying that I love Royal and would not sail with any other but really. We now have 2 classes on each ship...First Class which is suite guests and lower class which is everyone else on the ship. The new perks for suite guests don’t bother me other than the reserved seating by the pool and for all the shows.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/cruises/item.aspx?type=blog&ak=62966135.blog

I also love Royal, and am a Diamond Plus Member, I fully believe that large guest suites should get extra benefits and have no problem with those introduced. BUT I consider that these benefits should also be extended to D+ members. I will have serious words if someone on a first cruise gets such benefits and I don't. Lets face it I really have spent alot of money with RC and these benefits ( that do not cost the company any money ) would be a real thank you to those of us that have over many years benn Loyal to Royal. Come on D+ members, speak up.

Get your food in the Windjammer then go into one on the restaurants to sit. No standing, waiting, and looking for a table.
Now that would be nice, especially since it seems the time my wife gets around to go to breakfast is always prime time.

Good grief. :eek:

If we sail in a balcony (white card), JS (Silver card), or a GS and above (Gold card). Who the f cares??? We certainly don't. :rolleyes::cool::eek:

It's all about having fun on a cruise and meeting fun people. :):)

As long as my seapass card opens my cabin door and gets me on and off the ship I think I'll be pretty happy.

I also love Royal, and am a Diamond Plus Member, I fully believe that large guest suites should get extra benefits and have no problem with those introduced. BUT I consider that these benefits should also be extended to D+ members. I will have serious words if someone on a first cruise gets such benefits and I don't. Lets face it I really have spent alot of money with RC and these benefits ( that do not cost the company any money ) would be a real thank you to those of us that have over many years benn Loyal to Royal. Come on D+ members, speak up.

I coudn't agree with you more. Our last cruise we were in a GS and had one of those gold cards. We would walk up to the bar with the card in hand and we actually got served right away....with other people still waiting! This was only our third cruise! The special treatment was nice, I can't lie about that, BUT.....me as a suite guest should not be treated any better than and D+ member who has spent thousands of dollars over the years with RC. They are the ones who should be rewarded for their loyalty!

Why is this a problem?

Oh Boy ain't that the truth!!! :D

I sometimes wish they had an option to book a GS for less money and they can keep all the perks and CL. I love the space.

Hubby does not drink-travel with two older teens who cann't drink, and I just love my Coco locos that you cann't get in the lounge. :(

Not to the pax who desperately want them so everyone will know who they are. ;)

I've even seen posts about how disappointed a pax was that their card was not the appropriate color.:rolleyes: So it can be very important to certain pax that they get to flash that card so everyone will know just how important they really are.:p

Now, you've brought me to one of my favorite stories. My old boss was in Nashville once (this was in the late 60's before CMT and MTV) and happened to be dining with a country music star. They were in line for a table and the maitre d' saw the star and whisked him right to a table. Behind them in line was a guy who was just breaking in to the business. He'd had a couple of hits so he had some name recognition, but his face wasn't well-known out of the industry as of yet. The new guy quietly waited in line and as he was finally headed for a table, he stopped by and said hello. The star asked why he hadn't told the restaurant who he was. His reply "If I have to tell someone who I am then I'm not who I think I am." I love it.

Or "let them eat cake" I guess. It flies directly in the face of our experiences in cruising for nearly three decades. They may charge a pretty penny for those suites, but the majority of their income on every cruise comes, I suspect, from those who book all those non-suite staterooms. The perks in the form of extra room and amenities in the suites are IMHO sufficient recompense for the cost of booking a suite.

Establishing a class system on a mainstream cruiseline is fraught with possible problems and won't do much to contribute to a happy environment among all cruisers onboard.:rolleyes:

I agree with your points exactly. Discussed this the other night and are of the opinion that if there was a ship full of suites they would never fill it. Therefore there must be some financial merit in having so many lower priced staterooms.

Like many the only perk that would trouble me would be reserved seating at the pool which are not being used.

Would not let it spoil my cruise experience!

Scotfi

Scotfi

If anyone should get the gold sea pass card it should be the diamond/plus cruisers. Suit-ees (loved that) could get them, too, when they had sailed enough times with the line. A suite once in a lifetime vs a lifetime of loyal patronage? No contest for me.

I am not a diamond, btw. And the purpose of the gold card is? Special treatment, of course, so give it to the most loyal of the customers.

We are sailing in an Owner Suite this w/e only because they upgraded us from a balcony guarantee, guess they needed the room, I am really happy they did it, but I do not expect any extra treatment. We are diamond + with over 40 cruises, the hard way.

If anyone should get the gold sea pass card it should be the diamond/plus cruisers. Suit-ees (loved that) could get them, too, when they had sailed enough times with the line. A suite once in a lifetime vs a lifetime of loyal patronage? No contest for me.

I am not a diamond, btw. And the purpose of the gold card is? Special treatment, of course, so give it to the most loyal of the customers.

Funny you should mention that. If I remember correctly, there was a thread here about 2 years ago, and the subject was that Diamond members should be recognized easily by the cruise staff and other passengers, and how this can be accomplished.

Colored sea pass cards was not considered. More conspicuous Diamond Lapel Pins was as I recall as an option.

I agree with your points exactly. Discussed this the other night and are of the opinion that if there was a ship full of suites they would never fill it. Therefore there must be some financial merit in having so many lower priced staterooms.

Like many the only perk that would trouble me would be reserved seating at the pool which are not being used.

Would not let it spoil my cruise experience!

Scotfi

Scotfi

Don't tell that to RSSC, of course their all-suite ships are slightly smaller than Oasis. ;)

Not a big deal if suite passengers have reserved seating/loungers. The rest doesn't affect others.

The ability to order room service off the regular MDR menu is a nice perk though.

It was my understanding that anyone could order room service off the MDR menu during the appropriate hours, except for the lobster of course. Is this one more cutback for those in steerage?

Don't tell that to RSSC, of course their all-suite ships are slightly smaller than Oasis. ;)

Hi

Sorry should have made myself clear. I was talking about RCI and the market they aim for. RSSC are obviously aiming at a different market offering a very different cruise experience. Very impressive ships none the less, this would obviously lessen the possibility of a 2 class system.

I believe in the RCI's case they do depend on stearage passengers and that suite passangers on these ships may enjoy being big fish in a little pond. Some of the posts here would verify that and RCI are assisting this in making such differences.

I am sure I will enjoy being a little fish on my next cruise and will be too busy enjoying myself to notice. If I can get a pool chair ha ha!

Scotfi

I find it odd that people are complaining and feeling sorry for themselves because of this new policy. You do realize that a luxury cruiser ( someone that travels on a cruise ship for pleasure ) is not steerage, or a have-not?

Try telling your "white card vs. gold card" sob story to a homeless family, or to someone that used a boat as a means to escape a desperate situation, and report back their reaction.

I find it odd that people are complaining and feeling sorry for themselves because of this new policy. You do realize that a luxury cruiser ( someone that travels on a cruise ship for pleasure ) is not steerage, or a have-not?

Try telling your "white card vs. gold card" sob story to a homeless family, or to someone that used a boat as a means to escape a desperate situation, and report back their reaction.

Hi

Welcome happysunshine

Scotfi

Hi

Welcome happysunshine

Scotfi

Hahaha! Loving the screen name. :D btw I can see your point happysunshine, just the post did not come off as the ray of sunshine sort of thing....

Scotfi that penguin video is precious. :)

Archived