Buying Duty-Free Booze in Port

dustymax

Hi Everyone:

We will be cruising on the lovely Maasdam again next month and I had a question. We have frequently in the past purchsed liquor in the duty-free shops at various ports. I know I will check it when I re-board and they will return it to me at the end of the cruise. In the past we have either parked at the port and driven home, or taken the train at the conclusion of the cruise. However this time we are flying home from Ft. Lauderdale. So, here is the question: How do I get my duty-free liquor purchases home? I don't want to put them in my checked bags and I can't take them in my carry-on. Any other booze afficianados have thoughts to share?

Many Thanks!

Kevin:rolleyes:

Hi Everyone:

We will be cruising on the lovely Maasdam again next month and I had a question. We have frequently in the past purchsed liquor in the duty-free shops at various ports. I know I will check it when I re-board and they will return it to me at the end of the cruise. In the past we have either parked at the port and driven home, or taken the train at the conclusion of the cruise. However this time we are flying home from Ft. Lauderdale. So, here is the question: How do I get my duty-free liquor purchases home? I don't want to put them in my checked bags and I can't take them in my carry-on. Any other booze afficianados have thoughts to share?

Many Thanks!

Kevin:rolleyes:

It would seem that your only other alternative would be to ship them to your home. It would then be appropriate to determine if the additional shipping costs would be more than the duty free discount.

I would think that by the time you pay to ship them home you will be paying more than at your local package store. The bottles are more likely to break in shipping than they are in your luggage with clothes wrapped around them. But that calls for caution, too, as your weight may pop above 50 pounds. I don't see how you can have a winning situation buying your booze in port this time.

You're only option is to put in your checked baggage and only a bottle or 2 in each checked bag....and watch the weight of the checked bag..Bring bubble wrap, tape and 2 gallon zplock bags.. Honestly each of us used to bring home a 5 bottle box and put it in the overhead but that was 3 yearss ago. Now just a bottle of Sheridans for a coworker who can't buy it in the US

I checked about shipping booze home, last year. I found that the USPS will not accept booze, period.

UPS will ship booze, but only from licensed liquor dealers who have corporate accounts with them.

I suspect that FedEx has similar policies. In fact, since liquor is so tightly controlled by the BATF, I would not be surprised if it required a license to ship liquor, by any means.

So, it turns out that packing it in your luggage is the only option, and, IMHO, that's not a very good one. I haven't purchased any liquor on our cruises, since the liquid ban in carryons went into effect. To me, its just not worth the hassle.

Paul Noble

If you buy booze in the duty free on the ship, they pack it well in bubble wrap and crushproof boxes. We've put them in our checked luggage and they made the trip just fine. Just thought I'd mention it. :)

We bought several bottles of booze in the gift shop on board, as another poster said, they packed the bottles very carefully. We put a couple in our luggage and the rest in a box that we sent UPS from our son's house in Seattle. We had heavier coats and other clothes we bought in different ports in that box and everything arrived without being broken. That box was heavy but it was better than taking it on the airplane.;)

Archived