proposal destinations

goduckskkj

doing a western exotic carribean cruise on carnival, want to propose to my girlfriend any cool places or ideas to do it? any hikes or venues on these islands that would be creat?

our ports are grand cayman, island rotan, belize city, and cozumel

thanks!!!!

I think nothing would be as romantic as proposing on the ship..... early on in the cruise so she can enjoy the cruise in her 'newly engaged' status.

How about in one of the specialty restaurants, over a great meal.... or on the deck with a beautiful sunset??

You sound like a real romantic.... I'm sure she's a lucky girl!!!! :)

I thought Roatan was very beautiful...we went on a private tour (with a tour operator who had her own air conditioned mini-van) and she took us up to one very high point that looked down on the island and the ocean...if my husband had proposed to me right there, I would have just melted...Roatan is probably the least commercial of all of those ports (in my opinion)...it still has a lot of natural beauty.

How about proposing on the ship, just as one of the other posters said, let her enjoy the whole cruise experience as an engaged gal. Another poster asked about romantic places on the ship, here is the thread, go see what others have suggested: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?p=17869062&mode=linear#post17869062

A friend of mine was proposed to on a hike on a hilltop. Not sure of destination, but her now-husband bent down and said, "Oh, Becky, I need to stop for a second, I think I have a ROCK in my shoe" to get himself to the ground and then the ROCK of course was the engagement ring. I belive it was in the pocket of his cargo shorts, no really in his shoe, but it makes for a cute lead-in and gets the guy to his knee easily! I would vote for this route, especially if she is a private person. She may not want it publicly like in a restaurant, but you might get a few bottles of wine purchased for you by your tablemates or those nearby. Best wishes to you! :)

Congratulations!!! How exciting for you and your girlfriend!

I think you should do it on the ship, maybe on the night of sailaway. Find a quiet place away from everyone, out on the deck, and do it there. She will have the added bonus of wearing the ring all week and be able to tell everyone she see's that she is engaged all week! It will be really exciting for her. Plus, you will get a rare week when she can't really get in contact with her friends and family, and you can enjoy that week together instead of having to go around to a million people and share the experience with others. Let it be a time for the two of you and she can do all the sharing when you get back.

• 2 months later...

thanks so much for all the replies I really appreciate it. great ideas. i'm thinking of combining them and doing it on day two of the cruise the first day is a sea day day 2 we are at grand cayman that way i would be able to do it early on but have it be private. any hikes that overlook anything beautiful or any great beach ideas would be appreciated!

thanks

Congratulations and best wishes for your upcoming proposal!

Doing it on the ship, or at one of the ports is a wonderful idea - just be sure to have a backup plan as something might come up to make it impossible to go with your first option.

For example - if you want to do it in port, keep in mind that there are times when your itinerary might change, or bad weather might make it impossible to get into port, so have a Plan B just in case so you're not left scrambling.

If you are giving her a ring, please make sure it's the right size as she'll surely want to wear it on your cruise. :) Find a tricky way to size her finger. :D

I agree with suggestions to propose on the ship. Cruise ships, at sea....... so romantic. Great idea to take her to the specialty restaurant and set up your romatic evening.

I ended up proposing 6 months before our cruise. Originally, I had planned to propose on the cruise. What I was also planning on doing, which probably would not have worked knowing my now wife, was to get up before sunrise and propose during the sunrise. However, I now realize that she would have not been happy with me waking her up that early!

thanks so much for all the replies I really appreciate it. great ideas. i'm thinking of combining them and doing it on day two of the cruise the first day is a sea day day 2 we are at grand cayman that way i would be able to do it early on but have it be private. any hikes that overlook anything beautiful or any great beach ideas would be appreciated!

thanks

Grand Cayman is great, but what ever you do please have a backup plan for doing it on the ship. You didn't say what ship or what time of year, but GC is notorious for closing the port to tenders. With all the recent itinerary changes and stuff just please have a backup ship plan

And if you are actually giving her a ring, please tell her to be careful in saltwater. It will slip right off her finger if not sized snuggly. Even my rings that fit just fine otherwise just spin on my fingers when I get in saltwater.

Hubby proposed to me on our first cruise together to Bermuda. He did it on the first day at the island, when we had walked out to a nice cliff overlooking the water. It was awesome :D BUT I have to warn you, doing it early is wonderful-yes, she will LOVE walking around with that extra skip in her step and all the "congrats!" that you'll get-but it can also have its drawbacks- I wanted to enjoy my trip, but I just couldnt WAIT to get back home to show and tell everyone!

As for location, I would have been uncomfortable had he done it with other people around, say in the restaurant-but thats just me, we are both very private people, if your gf is the type who would love to have people around clapping, then you could definitely set something special up ahead of time with someone on the crew to make it a wonderful surprise.

Good luck and Congrats! ;)

Archived