SS Voyage 1020/ 7-1-2010, North Cape

daddyo

I have the age old question. We are considering the Copenhagen - Copenhagen, North Cape Cruise to Hammerfest, Norway next July. That time of the year the Temperature Averages high 60F to low 70F. With consideration to weather, scenery, and ports of call; is a Veranda worth the extra $$??

We have cruised SS on several occassions; always in a Veranda. However, on a Cruise from Rome/Athens/Venice last October, we used it very little due to the weather and the port intensive itenerary.

I know that several of the contributors to this board have most likely been on this itenerary and would appreciate any insight they can offer.

We did this cruise 2 years ago. I would highly recommend springing for the balcony. Even when the weather is not perfect you will want to be able to sightsee outside. We were very fortunate as the weather north of the Arctic circle was sunny and 70f. I would recommend a starboard side cabin.

We were on this cruise last "summer" and the weather was mostly atrocious! Low hanging clouds, fog, rain and temperatures down to near zero C (mid 30s F). I guess we had about 3 sunny days in total. Still, we sat on the balcony (wrapped in blankets). Yes, you can always run out on deck when the weather is nice, the scenery interesting or when a whale passes by, but I prefer the convenience of my own balcony. Plus the midnight "sun" (when you see it) is fantastic and you may just want to step out on the balcony at 1:30 or 2:30 a.m. in your night-wear (and a warm bath robe). Net , I would spring for a veranda with balcony.

But DO PACK warm underwear, gloves/mittens (people were using socks instead), a warm hat and a warm, wind-proof parka!!! You are going up to the Arctic and nearly within 10 degrees of the Northpole in case this cruise goes all the way to Spitsbergen like we did!

NewLondon and MJN1 thank you for your reply. We decided to go with the Veranda Suite. I was surprised that more people did not reply with an opinion as I know that there are several on this board that have cruised quite a bit. Maybe, if had asked for "cashew count" in the mixed nuts, I would have gotten more responses!!

Again, thanks for your responses.

Quote: "Maybe, if had asked for "cashew count" in the mixed nuts, I would have gotten more responses!!"

Or for a survey on coffee (i.e the Starbucks crowd vs real Italian coffee)...!:rolleyes:

We were on this cruise last "summer" and the weather was mostly atrocious! Low hanging clouds, fog, rain and temperatures down to near zero C (mid 30s F). I guess we had about 3 sunny days in total. Still, we sat on the balcony (wrapped in blankets). Yes, you can always run out on deck when the weather is nice, the scenery interesting or when a whale passes by, but I prefer the convenience of my own balcony. Plus the midnight "sun" (when you see it) is fantastic and you may just want to step out on the balcony at 1:30 or 2:30 a.m. in your night-wear (and a warm bath robe). Net , I would spring for a veranda with balcony.

But DO PACK warm underwear, gloves/mittens (people were using socks instead), a warm hat and a warm, wind-proof parka!!! You are going up to the Arctic and nearly within 10 degrees of the Northpole in case this cruise goes all the way to Spitsbergen like we did!

Did you see any polar bears? Is this a true expedition as the dates in June-August show "longyearbyen", so it's hard to tell where you go and If there are zodiac landings on a daily basis, and if any shore excursions are an extra cost?

Did you see any polar bears? Is this a true expedition as the dates in June-August show "longyearbyen", so it's hard to tell where you go and If there are zodiac landings on a daily basis, and if any shore excursions are an extra cost?

The only polar bears we "saw" were in a movie in a museum... Our cruise was not a "true expedition" and looking at your itinerary/ship (Cloud not Prince Albert) yours will be neither. Your schedule does not include Spitsbergen. There are no zodiacs on the Cloud! Usually all shore excursions organised by SS are at extra cost. However, in many ports you can just walk around and do the city tours offered by SS on you own.

• 2 weeks later...
The only polar bears we "saw" were in a movie in a museum... Our cruise was not a "true expedition" and looking at your itinerary/ship (Cloud not Prince Albert) yours will be neither. Your schedule does not include Spitsbergen. There are no zodiacs on the Cloud! Usually all shore excursions organised by SS are at extra cost. However, in many ports you can just walk around and do the city tours offered by SS on you own.

I would only consider the PA II cruise. It is July 4 and July 14 (this year).

Thank you for your reply. We were on the PAII last year and it's a nice ship. But, we want the "SS experience" the other ships offer for this cruise, plus we like the itenerary.

Thanks Again.

Thank you for your reply. We were on the PAII last year and it's a nice ship. But, we want the "SS experience" the other ships offer for this cruise, plus we like the itenerary.

Thanks Again.

I am unclear of your comment. Which ship are you booked on? Are you saying that the PAII is not a true SilverSeas experience?

We are booked on the Cloud, which may not as "updated" as I would like since I have read on this site they will not do the extensive remodel that was done on the Wind. The PAII was a great experince, but the "expedition" cruise is different from the other four. The food and service on the PAII were top notch we had a great time.

We are booked on the Cloud, which may not as "updated" as I would like since I have read on this site they will not do the extensive remodel that was done on the Wind. The PAII was a great experince, but the "expedition" cruise is different from the other four. The food and service on the PAII were top notch we had a great time.

Thanks!

Archived