Best Tour Excursion Fuerte Amador Panama

Emigrant

Last May on the Island Princess we did;

"Eco-Cruise On Gatun Lake & Miraflores Locks"

Visit Miraflores Locks for an explanation of how the Panama Canal operates and then enjoy an eco-cruise on Gatun Lake, one of the largest artificial lakes in the world.

Board your air-conditioned transportation for the short drive to the Miraflores Locks. View a brief video about how the Panama Canal was built and its operation. Move to the viewing platform to observe the canal in action. Drive to the small town of Gamboa to board your sightseeing boat for an eco-cruise on Gatun Lake. This great ecological cruise takes you on a journey inside the Panama Canal and you may find yourself cruising next to cargo ships that cross the Canal every day. The guide will explain the complexity of the flora and fauna of the Canal Zone and the surprising importance of it to the operation of the canal. Pass by Monkey Island where it is very common to watch monkeys playing in the trees. Return to the dock in Gamboa for your return drive to the tender dock.

While Miraflores was a bust because we were there on a National Holiday the cruise on Gatun Lake was tremendous. Plus we saw much more than the monkeys which was a treat unto itself. See my photo link below to see some of the photo from this tour. I highly recommend this tour.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello born2cruize:

Your description is making me think I need to look at this excusrsion vs the "Panama Canal Experience By Boat" that Princess offers. I think I would like the "Eco-Cruise On Gatun Lake & Miraflores Locks" better. I assume you booked this through Princess?

Debbie

we did a similar trip on the Regal princess in 2007. we took a small boat ride around monkey Island and a ride around the lake. (it started from the Gamboa Lodge which is really nice) then went to the locks. unlike the previous poster several ships were going through at the time so it was very nice. we also saw a movie on the locks.

afterwards we had time to shop in the "duty free shops" at the pier and got great bargins.

does anyone know how far they are with the enlargement? it had just started when we were there and I am going back in October

As far as the new set of locks goes, it its still in it's prelimenary stages of earth moving and excavation. All the work on the Pacific side is to the west of Miraflores and Pedro Miguel Locks with the only significant visual impact just north of Pedro Miguel Locks at the begining of Gaillard Cut. On the Atlantic side the work is far enough away and to the east of Gatun Locks where there is little visual impact. I think I read somewhere we are looking at 5 to 7 years for completion.

Hello born2cruize:

Your description is making me think I need to look at this excusrsion vs the "Panama Canal Experience By Boat" that Princess offers. I think I would like the "Eco-Cruise On Gatun Lake & Miraflores Locks" better. I assume you booked this through Princess?

Debbie

Yes this was through Princess.

we did a similar trip on the Regal princess in 2007. we took a small boat ride around monkey Island and a ride around the lake. (it started from the Gamboa Lodge which is really nice) then went to the locks. unlike the previous poster several ships were going through at the time so it was very nice. we also saw a movie on the locks. afterwards we had time to shop in the "duty free shops" at the pier and got great bargins. does anyone know how far they are with the enlargement? it had just started when we were there and I am going back in October

It does sound like the same tour you did back in 07. My web site shows the construction that was going on back in May 08. What I found interesting was at Gillard Cut, you had this flat land with a whole lot of white PVC pipes stick out of the ground until you realize that they were explosive charges. Just a little farther down was uneven ground that had been blown up and was waiting for the barges to come by and remove the soil. When we were there almost all the the west hill had been removed. At that time they hadn't begun any dredging of the canal itself.

Archived