Can You Recommend a Hotel in Amsterdam?

jhannah

A search didn't come up with anything, so I guess this hasn't been discussed here in a while. We've stayed at the Rembrant, but want to try something different. What can you recommend in city center, not too far from Central Station and the cruise terminal?

Depends what you want to pay.Very nice is the Barbizon Palace and also Victoria Hotel. Both almost opposite central station and near city-center. They are not cheap.

However there are so many hotels, maybe you better check this site first

http://www.holland.com/amsterdam/nl/

It is the Amsterdam tourist office (in english and dutch). They give a lot of hotels and you make a preference where in the city you want to stay.

If you have any more questions, I can help you.

Depends what you want to pay.
Absolutely - it's a bit like asking for recommendations for a hotel in New York City.

Two that I've stayed at and liked::-

1. The Sheraton Pulitzer (although it may not be a Sheraton any more) - This is built into about 19 canalside houses, so every room is different and every part of the hotel is different. There's a lot of character in the building, despite the fact that it's a chain hotel (if it still is).
  2. The Grand Hotel Sofitel Demeure (be careful with this, it's not the Grand Krasnapolsky). Another hotel that's beautiful despite it being part of a chain, and in a very good and convenient location, lovely quiet area but not far from the busier parts of town.

Whatever you do, make sure that your hotel is in the centre of the city. There's no point being a visitor to Amsterdam and staying out at the airport Hilton or whatever.

Thanks to both of you. Very helpful. I had read/heard somewhere that the Kras was nice. Still might consider something else, though. Ine, the site you gave me was much more useful than the hotel booking sites I'd been searching. Thanks, again.

The Kras is a nice,old hotel in a busy place (right on Dam Suare), has had various renovations. It has got class, but I heard rooms can be noisy.

We were just there last month and we stayed at the American Hotel. Also known as Crowne Plaza, American. It was very nice and in the heart of the city, within walking distance of shops, restaurants, on the canal, and within walking distance to the red light district, which was a hoot!!

The beds were really nice as was the shower/bath. And they have windows that open. Love that.

Can I ask what you thought of the Rembrandt, especially the position? It is one of two that we are considering for a short break.

thanks

It's a unique facility. Like many hotels in Europe, it's made up of multiple buildings that are knit together. Getting to the room is an adventure of twists and turns! Although it was a few blocks from the "center" of things, it was still very convenient. We walked everywhere. Even walked to it from Central Station with our luggage! It was clean, and had a European breakfast each morning in the "basement." Interesting hotel overall.

• 3 weeks later...

Maybe you have seen or heard about it, or maybe not.

Century of Celebrity Lines has changed the schedules.

No Caribean this summer, but starting end of May will have some sailings to and from Amsterdam to Norway and/or the baltic cities.

Mid-august it sails to the mediterrean, where it makes some more sailings.

We agree with the recommendations of the Europe,which is our very favorite and we have stayed there several times. The location is fantastic. If you have an Am Ex Plat and book through the program, we have received wonderful upgrades to river front balcony rooms.

The Canal house is also good. It is not as elaborate but the breakfast room is charming place to start the day. The surrounding Joardan are enjoyable to explore and the hotel has a list of good restaurant suggestions for the area.

Enjoy!

Pat

Archived