Cigs

august1963

Please don't turn this into a bash against smokers....

It has been 5 years since I've cruised and my memory is failing me....

I know you can buy cigarettes on the ship - does anyone know how much they are (Glory) and if you can take them back to your room?

thanks

August;

Last cruise we went on (2008) my wife bought a special package of Marlboro Lights - 5 cartons for $70.00. That's $12.00/carton, which beats what she's paying back home. I'm sure prices have gone up, but you can use that as a comparrison.

Last month they were 5 for 92.00. I got mine in MX for 72.00. I get them for my wife. Some people have told me that the ones you buy off the ship are not the same. But she is happy so I'm happy.

Thanks everyone! What is MX?

Keep in mind that I think you can have only one carton per person duty free. After that you should claim the extra cartons to customs. Whether they make you pay or not....Well I don't know if they will or not. Of course, I believe broken cartons do not count. At any rate, even if you pay a duty on them, it's likely to be cheaper then you are paying at home.

Please don't turn this into a bash against smokers....

It has been 5 years since I've cruised and my memory is failing me....

I know you can buy cigarettes on the ship - does anyone know how much they are (Glory) and if you can take them back to your room?

thanks

It's usually just a matter of time, lol. :eek:

August; Last cruise we went on (2008) my wife bought a special package of Marlboro Lights - 5 cartons for $70.00. That's $12.00/carton, which beats what she's paying back home. I'm sure prices have gone up, but you can use that as a comparrison.
Either your math is bad, or your memory is worse. But if you get 5 of anything for $70, that's $14 for each one. Not a bad price for a box of cancer sticks, I guess. But it's not $12 each, that's for sure.

Last month they were 5 for 92.00. I got mine in MX for 72.00. I get them for my wife. Some people have told me that the ones you buy off the ship are not the same. But she is happy so I'm happy.

Did you know that you could have bought them on the ship, and then taken a pic of the advertisement (and where it was), and taken them to the shops -we took our digital camera and they just looked at the pic on the camera screen - anyway take it to the shop and they will match the price. They just put the difference right back onto your S&S account. We ended up saving $30 once - found a cheaper price in St.Thoomas and got the credit, and then found an even cheaper price in St. Maarten and they took off the difference (-minus the first adjustment). No hassle at all.

If you buy cigs for the 5 deal price, but they only allow 1 carton per person duty free, then what happens? Do you have to pay some sort of duty tax on the other 3 before you get off the ship? I want to buy the 5 carton deal for my friend, so just wondering how it works.

If you buy cigs for the 5 deal price, but they only allow 1 carton per person duty free, then what happens? Do you have to pay some sort of duty tax on the other 3 before you get off the ship? I want to buy the 5 carton deal for my friend, so just wondering how it works.

You would itemize the purchase on your Customs Declaration form and settle up when you clear Customs at debarkation, same as if you went over your liquor allowance.

Married couples may aggregate their allowance.

You would itemize the purchase on your Customs Declaration form and settle up when you clear Customs at debarkation, same as if you went over your liquor allowance.

Married couples may aggregate their allowance.

What do you mean "settle up"? I have never purchased cigs or liquor or anything else for that mater to claim, so I am new at this. What specifically happens if you go over your cig allowance? You pay more?

Either your math is bad, or your memory is worse. But if you get 5 of anything for $70, that's $14 for each one. Not a bad price for a box of cancer sticks, I guess. But it's not $12 each, that's for sure.

I was wondering when someone was gonna do the math and correct the OP.

What do you mean "settle up"? I have never purchased cigs or liquor or anything else for that mater to claim, so I am new at this. What specifically happens if you go over your cig allowance? You pay more?

You would owe duty to the US Government.

"Cartons" are meaningless, opened or sealed.

From the Gov.

For example, a returning resident is eligible for the $800 exemption, which includes not more than 200 cigarettes and 100 cigars:

• If the resident declares 400 previously exported cigarettes, the resident would be permitted 200 cigarettes, tax-free under the exemption and the remaining 200 previously exported cigarettes would be confiscated.

So it is the total number of cigarettes, however they are packaged.

Dan

Someone will correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand it...

Cigarettes are not like liquor, you are not allowed more than the one carton pp, they will not just charge you the duty, they will sieze the excess amount. That is only if they catch it. Personally I would not declare more than the allowance. If one of your stops is St Thomas, you are allowed to bring back 5 cartons pp from there.

oooops, Dan beat me to it.

You can also pack them in your suitcase and not worry about claiming it.

Since I have to pay taxes to pay for supporting other peoples kids I feel I'm entitled to a few duty free smokes.(I don't actually SMOKE, but my dog sitter does)

And it's fine you "Rule Mongers" I have my flameproof suit on today, so have at it.:D

Carole

Archived