Letter from BoA Re: Bonus Worldpoints

fabby50

There's been some discussion about the new Worldpoints credit card, so I thought I'd post some info about the bonus points you get through the Worldpoints Mall. For those who haven't investigated this aspect of the program, you can earn bonus points by shopping through the Worldpoints portion of the Bank of America site. Different vendors offer different amounts of points per dollar spent. I decided to keep my Worldpoints card since I do a lot of on-line shopping and see how it went.

I have purchased a bar package and some bon voyage gifts through NCL - these charges appeared on my statement, with the bonus points included quite rapidly, within a couple of days.

I purchased shoes through zappos.com and the bonus points appeared as a separate line on my statement, about a week later.

The same day I purchased through zappos, I purchased through JC Penneys. After three weeks, still no bonus points appeared. I called BofA to investigate. This took several tries - twice I was transferred to NCL. They cannot help with this issue - my suggestion is if you call about the program, don't mention NCL! You have to find a person who understands the Worldpoints program. On the third try, I got someone who knew what he was talking about and took a "research request" I suggest asking for this. He also gave me a tracking number for my phone call.

Yesterday, I received a letter from B of A. In it, they explained that the different vendors have to turn in the bonus points information and this can take up to 60 days. They will not do anything about you inquiry until the 60 days have passed. If the bonus points still do not appear, you have to send in your receipt from the vendor and an explanation of what happened and they will investigate. I will be waiting this period to see what happens.

In the meantime, this week I made three more purchases through the mall from two different vendors, no bonus points have appeared.

I admit, this is an experiment and I wanted to see how the program works. I may be cancelling if this turns into a big fiasco. To me, unless you can get bonus points, it will take me too long to earn anything significant through the program.

Just thought folks might want a little update and info - hope it helps.

:)

Worldpoints is a poorly designed replacement program in my opinion. The time lags in the bonus points are purposely left that way so you cannot track the spend to a direct accrual of points.

I would also want to price out all purcahses through the vendor web site direct as well as going through the Worldpoints mall access. I would bet that there is a difference and it is not in your favor.

I think most people that have done a serious analysis have already moved on to some other cash back or rewards program.

Archived