Car rental at Port in Civitavecchia

My husband and I will be staying a few days post cruise in Rome. We have booked a rental car in Civitavecchia. Does anyone know how far the car rental booth is from the port? What would be the best way to get from the port to Hertz? Is it within walking distance?

My husband and I will be staying a few days post cruise in Rome. We have booked a rental car in Civitavecchia. Does anyone know how far the car rental booth is from the port? What would be the best way to get from the port to Hertz? Is it within walking distance?

Check here:

http://heinbloed-cruiseguides.blogspot.com/2009/01/civitavecchia-italy-getting-to-vatican.html

You have all the way to the car rental station on pictures.

Regards,

HeinBloed

I lived in Italy several years. Drove in Rome very early on - one time -never again. Went back to Rome many, many times and always by train. Driving there is but a small part of the equation - parking is another. There is very little available, and what there is, if not taken by locals with monthly contracts, is very expensive. From pint A to B you best know exactly where you are going and what turns you need to make. You must plan ahead or you'll end up going kilometers out of your way.

Rome is extremely easy to get around - by foor, bus, metro, or taxi if necessary. In most cases, local transportation will get you there faster than by car.

OK, I have to ask, are you really driving into Rome?

No, no, no! We are not going into Rome. We've already been there for a week before and instead wanted to drive down and spend time around Naples and outlying areas.

If we were going to stay in Rome, we would use public transportation.

Do you have any suggestions for that itinerary? Is this a mistake? I remember the taxi rides in the city of Rome, and would NOT drive a rental in the city there.

Phew, I was a bit worried for there you there when you said you were picking up a rental car for a few post cruise days in Rome! We can never get enough of Rome so we're spending our post cruise time there. For the outskirts of Naples, yes I would get a car, you don't say what time of year, I would avoid driving into Naples proper though, it can be worse than Rome. Middle of summer you would want to be careful in some of the other popular spots like Sorrento and the Amalfi drive, traffic can be a nightmare around there. Our rule of thumb is that for cities, no way in heck would we have a rental car, for the more rural areas, definitely get a rental car.

Does anyone know where I will find the Europcar counter as the location of Herzt was decribed so well. I rented the car for spending two more days in the Frascati area. Driving in Rome was kind of strassy for me last time, but I would also consider Neaples to be worse. I will not drive again in Naples!

Europcar is not near Hertz. It is located somewhat North of the port entrance (a few blocks up from the harbor) and is walkable if you can handle your luggage over some curbs and walk about 1/3 of a mile. If you get a friendly port shuttle bus driver, you might try to get him to drop you at the smaller port entrance (it is past the regular port entrance drop site) where it will save you at least 6 blocks of walking. The only problem with that smaller port gate is that there are a bunch of steps to climb out of the port area to the street above. We have usually done well by simply telling the port shuttle driver that we are going to Europcar...but you never know if they will cooperate.

Hank

Archived