Noob questions about cards - Cruise and Drinks.

Theora

Hello all!

I embark Sunday for my first-ever cruise. Crown Princess, with the entire family (most of which have never cruised before). My n00b questions are these:

Cruise Card - I keep hearing about it. I assume that it's something that one is issued when one embarks. However, I also keep hearing about "embarkation photos". So, is this just another photo that Princess wants to sell you, or is this a mug-shot that'll be on your Cruise Card? Do I really have to put on eyeliner when I'm jetlagged at 8am so that this isn't a horrible representation of my appearance?

Drinks cards - I have heard about the coffee card (yes, please) and the soda card (BF says "yes, please"), but then one person mentioned something about an "Ultimate Drinks Card". Does such a creature exist on Princess, and if so, what does it cover and how much does it cost? Perhaps this would be a better option for me. I don't know. Anyone?

Thanks in advance. I can't possibly describe what a fabulous resource these boards have been for budgieinspector and I as we prepare for a new adventure!

excited beyond belief,

Crickett

Hello all!

I embark Sunday for my first-ever cruise. Crown Princess, with the entire family (most of which have never cruised before). My n00b questions are these:

Cruise Card - I keep hearing about it. I assume that it's something that one is issued when one embarks. However, I also keep hearing about "embarkation photos". So, is this just another photo that Princess wants to sell you, or is this a mug-shot that'll be on your Cruise Card? Do I really have to put on eyeliner when I'm jetlagged at 8am so that this isn't a horrible representation of my appearance?

When you check in, you will each be given a card that will be your room key and spending card for the week. The first time you board the ship, they will scan your card and take a picture that will pop up in the ship's computers (so they can match the person with the card).

Separately from the card, there will be a point during the embarkation process where you will have the opportunity to get a souvenir photo taken, usually with a background or prop that displays the ship name and sail date. This photo is available for purchase onboard the ship but you aren't required to buy it. I usually skip the embarkation photo myself by just walking past and saying no thank you.

The cruise card is essentially your room key and credit card for the week. There isnt actually a picture on it but instead when you board and disembark you slide your card into a machine, it reads the card and pulls up a pic of you for the cruise staff to verify. Mine is never good but since nobody other than the cruise staff sees it who cares...the embarkation photo is one in front of a background that they do try to sell you...we dont always even stop to take the picture...but if you do there is no obligation to buy it

You have received very good cruise card answers.

The soda card costs about $4 a day plus 15% tip. It is for unlimited fountain drinks and unless you drink over 2 a day is not worth it.

The coffee card (This is on Princess) cost $25 plus 15% tip and entitles you to 15 specialty coffees and unlimited brewed coffee. The coffee in the restaurants is made from syrup. This card never expires as long as there is a single punch left.

I have never heard of the ultimate drink card if you are referring to cocktails.

or is this a mug-shot that'll be on your Cruise Card? Do I really have to put on eyeliner when I'm jetlagged at 8am so that this isn't a horrible representation of my appearance?

"Mug-shot" is exactly right -- I made the mistake of peering round and looking at the computer screen once... Yikes:eek: It was the most ghastly, just escaped from an asylum looking thing I've ever seen. Believe me -- no amount of rest or eyeliner will help... (It is a very grainy, black and white picture taken from below.) The depressing thing is, no one ever questioned that it was actually me...:D

Happy Sailing!

The Ultimate card is available on the Crown. It's includes soads, smoothies and soft serve ice cream. It costs about $9/day plus gratuity so for a 7 day cruise it will be about $72 per card. If you not into smoothies and the soft serve ice cream then the soda card may be better.

Have a great first cruise! The Crown is a beautiful ship!!:)

The Ultimate card is available on the Crown. It's includes soads, smoothies and soft serve ice cream. It costs about $9/day plus gratuity so for a 7 day cruise it will be about $72 per card. If you not into smoothies and the soft serve ice cream then the soda card may be better.

Have a great first cruise! The Crown is a beautiful ship!!:)

Interesting. I like smoothies, but couldn't possibly care less about ice cream (especially soft-serve). And I don't think I'm quite so mad about smoothies that I'll be wanting enough of them to warrant the card. I'm in love with Jamba Juice, but I strongly doubt that the on-board smoothies are going to be quite the same.

Thanks so much to everyone for their answers. It's been incredibly helpful.

not quite ready for my close-up,

Crickett

Archived