colourfull coasts on the celebration

can any one tell me what the currency is in morocco and what sort of price is the excursions run by the ship to morroco and is it worth having excursions to any other port of call? do all the ladies wear ball gowns to the captains night or is that just reserved for the men (lol)!!:confused::)

We have just returned from the Celebration yesterday and as first time cruisers we had a fantastic time except for the weather.The currency in Morocco is the dirham but it is a closed currency and cannot be bought outside the country or taken out.Most places will take the euro,pounds or dollars so dont worry. Ref the trips by Thomson we didnt do them because we had been to Agadir before but you can do Marrakech (long long trip!) Fantasia and the souks (most people we spoke to said it was boring and not worth it). Horse trekking and Tarradouant (might be spelt wrong) but it is a fortified ancient town and souk.Dont reccomend you venture alone in Agadir and if you take an organized trip exspect to be accosted and pestered at every turn. The captains table night is formal but you do not have to wear ball gowns or tuxs, a suit and nice dress is fine. Hope this helps any more info needed let me know

Merciaman we came back yesterday too and thought the weather was good except for the wind at La Palma ! Most days were sunny and even when it was cloudy it was warm. Glad you had a good time though we did too.

The Captains dinner is as formal as you want it to be I just wore a summery dress and didnt feel out of place, some ladies had black trousers and nice tops, some wore cocktail dresses.

We chickened out of Agadir and stayed on the ship !

Pebble12345, Yes the weather wasnt as bad as I might have made it sound.Las Palmas was very windy and the last day was wet and cool. It is just that we have been to the Canaries the last 3 years in Jan and Feb and proably been very lucky with the weather.However the cruise itself more than made up for the weather.

• 4 months later...

Cymro1953 (I guess you live in Wales, so do I), are you on the Colourful Coasts cruis? We are going on Dec 4 but am now very apprehensive. It's our first cruise and from what I ahve read we should be very, very afraid. Can anyone put my mind at rest. I'm a new member.

Elly M

Im Puzzled .What have you read? If it is about Agadir I would just recommend doing the organized tours but not to expect too much. A lot of people really dont understand why Thomsons call at Agadir. I suppose it just fills the cruise out to 7 days. But apart from that you will have a fantastic time aboard. Last year was our first cruise and we are now true converts. Probably going to book the Celebration for next Jan/Feb for the Red Sea area:)

Cymro1953 (I guess you live in Wales, so do I), are you on the Colourful Coasts cruis? We are going on Dec 4 but am now very apprehensive. It's our first cruise and from what I ahve read we should be very, very afraid. Can anyone put my mind at rest. I'm a new member.

Elly M

No you have got the wrong impression, the cruise is fantastic and a great experience. All the ports are easy to walk into without a Thomson tour except the Morroco one. For this you need to take a organised excursion or stay on board.

The ship is fantastic, food brilliant, the ports great.

You will have a lovely time and have nothing to worry about.:)

I agree - I'm sure you will have a great time but it's true to say that the culture in Morocco is quite different from the other ports.

We did the Thomson Taroudant trip which was very interesting - both the journey and seeing Taroudant - just ignore the traders trying to sell you something! If you are keen to experience another culture, this is a relatively good way to do it - safety in numbers and with a guide. We're quite happy to adopt a DiY approach where appropriate but I would say that this is one destination where it's best to go with an organised group - it's a pity not to see something of a completely different country/culture.

As for the other ports, it's easy to do your own thing. There's plenty of advice on here should you need more info. Look forward to your trip - it's all part of the fun! :)

Elly M

Hi Elly,

Yes we're in Llandudno

Sorry for delay but we were away the weekend. WE go the week after you on DEc11th.

John and Kruzseeka have more or less covered it. You'll have a great time. We loved it so much that's why we're going back on her.

Treat it like we do , a big floating hotel that moves to new destinations while you sleep.

Berwyn

Archived