Just how cheap is alcohol in St. Matrin?

Frank12

That will depend upon your Ship/Cruise Line.

Most will certainly take it if you show up with one of those liquor store 6-packs, or if you have it delivered to the ship, but I have heard of people that had a bottle in their backpack or in their beach/snorkel bag that was overlooked.

I know that Price Club, way down Front Street to the left of the Courthouse has a good assortment of the little 'airline' bottles.

Other shops have smaller than usual (like 375ml) bottles of Absolut and such that might get lost in a bag or pocket.

gary

That will depend upon your Ship/Cruise Line.

Most will certainly take it if you show up with one of those liquor store 6-packs, or if you have it delivered to the ship, but I have heard of people that had a bottle in their backpack or in their beach/snorkel bag that was overlooked.

I know that Price Club, way down Front Street to the left of the Courthouse has a good assortment of the little 'airline' bottles.

Other shops have smaller than usual (like 375ml) bottles of Absolut and such that might get lost in a bag or pocket.

gary

I can confirm that RCCL does check the bags and will take it. I was in Barbados and went on a tour of a rum plant. By being the last one to have my sample and thus "finish" the tray of samples, I was given a small gift bottle of Mango Rum. My wife put it in her hand bag so it would not get lost or broken as we continued our tour. She forgot she had it and I handed the large bottles I bought to security. Her bag went throug x-ray and they pulled her over and searched the bag and took it out to add it to the others. I got them all back the last night in my cabin.

My DH thinks you would only save about $20 to $30 dollars on a bottle in St Martin.

Someone I sailed with in '07 seemed to get a better price than that. I am checking everywhere. I have some leaving tomorrow that will be checking for me as well. Thanks for the info.

• 2 weeks later...

on Front St. They take credit cards, box the booze and deliver to the ship. Their prices are about the same as the other stores. Don't forget that if you bring proof of a lower price to the ships DFS they will match price and box it. My ship couldn't dock there in Feb so I don't have current prices. By the way their selection is very good and some come in 1.14 size.

Cuban rum can be purchased in St. Martin, across from Sunset Grill there

is a small market that has - liquors, Since it can't be purchased in the sttes, its a treat and taste great.

Are there any issues with bringing CUBAN rum into the US ?

David:D

It is not allowed because Bacardi doesn't want you to taste the Havana Club rum that tastes so much better. They pay off congress to keep the embargo. Now if you are buying a box in a non US port no one goes into the box to check if you have Cuban, Jamaican or Barbados rum in it.

I brought a bottle of Havana Club rum (made in Cuba) thru customs with not even a question. It was clearly on the declaration form along with the other 7 bottles. My feeling was that customs isn't enforcing the liquor issue unless you are grossly over the limits. Their priorities are probably elsewhere.

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, so I have a question, in relation to all this... basically it seems that all the good alcohol shopping seems to be done on front street in philipsburg. Does anyone happen to have a map of the island or something? I am trying to figure out where we will dock, and about how far everything is.

Ok, so I have a question, in relation to all this... basically it seems that all the good alcohol shopping seems to be done on front street in philipsburg. Does anyone happen to have a map of the island or something? I am trying to figure out where we will dock, and about how far everything is.

There is a water taxi from the pier that can take you to downtown. It may be possible to walk but from what I heard, it would be better to take the water taxi. Phillipsburg is on the same bay as the pier. You can get more information at this link

• 4 weeks later...

Having just returned, I can now answer my own question for anyone else who is wondering. I found a small shop on a side alley off of Front street that was much cheaper than most of the stores on Front Street. It was called Friendly Duty Free, and truly was. The address is Front Street Village-Unit #7. They boxed up all of my liquor and delivered it to the ship by 3:00pm. The clerk told me she has been in business at this location for 10 years and has many repeat customers. She said she can offer lower prices because her rent is much cheapoer than the stores on Front street.

Crown Royal .750 ml 2 for $24.00

Crown Royal 1.14 Liter for $14.00 each

Sky Vodka 1 liter 2 for $15.99

Tanqueray Gin 1 Liter 2 for 24.99

Cabo Wabo Tequila 1 liter for 32.99 (same bottle was $45.00 at several front street stores. :D:D:D

I am looking for a good price on Courvoisier XO. Where would the best price be. Someone told me Juggie's. I saw that there is some discussion where to find it.

I checked out Juggie's in late April to compare their product line and pricing to other stores. Conclusion is that they have a very limited selection and the prices were high. The prices and selection at Caribbean Paradise on Front Street are significantly better.

The only thing good at Juggies is a deal on a few cigars. Otherwise it's a real waste of time.

Having just returned, I can now answer my own question for anyone else who is wondering. I found a small shop on a side alley off of Front street that was much cheaper than most of the stores on Front Street. It was called Friendly Duty Free, and truly was. The address is Front Street Village-Unit #7. They boxed up all of my liquor and delivered it to the ship by 3:00pm. The clerk told me she has been in business at this location for 10 years and has many repeat customers. She said she can offer lower prices because her rent is much cheapoer than the stores on Front street.

Crown Royal .750 ml 2 for $24.00

Crown Royal 1.14 Liter for $14.00 each

Sky Vodka 1 liter 2 for $15.99

Tanqueray Gin 1 Liter 2 for 24.99

Cabo Wabo Tequila 1 liter for 32.99 (same bottle was $45.00 at several front street stores. :D:D:D

Thanks, The CRown prices that you found are great, I will be there in Oct on a RCL cruise, will be buying at FRiendly's.

We just returned and bought our rum at Ray's.

For the local stuff, it was $4.95 a liter and it tastes fine.

They had Captain Morgan rum for 2 @ $16.00. And Johnny Walker Black for about $25.00.

St Maarten is definately where you want to buy your liquor!!!

Thanks, The CRown prices that you found are great, I will be there in Oct on a RCL cruise, will be buying at FRiendly's.

I'm having a Crown and Sprite right now. That $12.00 a bottle Crown tastes so much better!

It's a Wray and Nephew product so if the sell Appleton they should have it. Tortuga rum is really a local label for rum sold in Cayman. It's not made there but I saw several aged rum from their company. It's actually a Jamaican rum bottled in J. Their dark rum is excellent in Planters Punch.

Does anyone know where you can buy Sangster's creamed rum besides Jamaica? I know we found it on another island last year but can't remember where.

You can find it in St kitts(at the Port). les expensive than Montego Bay, Jamaica

Archived