Just how cheap is alcohol in St. Matrin?

Frank12

I have always found the prices on the ship to be very reasonable and like the convenience of having it delivered to my room on the last night.

But, I keep hearing how cheap it is in St. Martin. Is it really that much cheaper to make it woth the extra effort?

Can anyone who has recently been give prices for...say a liter of absolute or a liter of Crown Royal? I know what the ship prices are. I'm just looking for some figures for comparison. Thanks.

I know that last year we paid less than $7 for a liter of Stoli, less than $8 for a liter of Absolut, and less than $5 for liters of Cruzan Flavored Rums (Mango is my favorite).

These prices were at Caribbean Paradise and/or Splash. They're both on Front Street, basically across the street from each other.

These are cash prices, no credit card, no boxes, no delivery to the ship.

gary

I remember just a few years earlier when Absolut was $4.99/liter.

th_DSCN1373.jpg

(click)

My DH collects specialty liquors as a hobby so he checks all the prices of each port against the ship's prices. St Martin is by far the best place to buy liquor, at least for high end stuff anyway. He used to buy everything in St Thomas until he realized how much better the prices are in St Martin.

He buys everything at Juggie's in St Martin. Here's some info about Juggie's if you're interested. You can get 2 beers & a cuban cigar (I hate those things) for $2.99 plus he advertises free clean restrooms if you're just walking around town.

http://www.familytravelfun.com/juggiesplace.html

I agree with lovetocruise99. We also went to Juggies on our cruise at the beginning of Feb.

His prices are the best. This was our second visit to his shop. Great prices also for Rum Jumbie and Ma Dou Dou Rum. If you want Dutch cheese, he has that also.

When you come into Philips. from the water taxi, turn right and you will find him in one of the side alleys on the water side of the road.

Are the prices good for Patron Tequila? It is all DH drinks. Thanks.

Check the prices at Caribbean Paradise on Front Street. They've got the lowest liquor prices on the island. In April 2008 Petron was $43.

I have always found the prices on the ship to be very reasonable and like the convenience of having it delivered to my room on the last night.

But, I keep hearing how cheap it is in St. Martin. Is it really that much cheaper to make it woth the extra effort?

Can anyone who has recently been give prices for...say a liter of absolute or a liter of Crown Royal? I know what the ship prices are. I'm just looking for some figures for comparison. Thanks.

I purchased (2) 1.2 Litres of Crown Royal for $28. Cheapest I have ever seen it. Will be buying more when we return in May. The ship's price on our Jan cruise was $36 for 2 1 litre bottles of Crown.

Thank you for all of the replies.

If CR is 2 for $28, I'll definitely not be buying on the ship this cruise!:D

I found it in several stores for about that same price. Some were 1 litre and others 1.2 litres. But it was definitely cheaper there than anywhere I have seen it. Ship's price was pretty decent until I went to St Martin....

How do you all get it home? I would think that packing it my suitcase would be pretty risky with the way the airlines toss those suitcases around. DH and I haven't really bought any because of this.

My DH brings home about 10+ bottles every cruise in checked luggage. He has a hard sided suitcase which helps alot. He takes along a bunch of bubble wrap plus sometimes the stores will extra wrap it for you too. Out of 15+ cruises he has only had one broken bottle and boy did that make a mess!

While looking at the TSA site I discovered something I did not know about transporting alcohol in airliners:

Carrying Alcohol In Your Checked Baggage

"Please note, you can’t take alcoholic beverages with more than 70% alcohol content (140 proof), including 95% grain alcohol and 150 proof rum, in your checked luggage.

You may take up to five liters of alcohol with alcohol content between 24% and 70% per person as checked luggage if it’s packaged in a sealable bottle or flask.

Alcoholic beverages with less than 24% alcohol content are not subject to hazardous materials regulations."

http://www.tsa.gov/travelers/airtravel/assistant/editorial_1189.shtm

I had no idea there was a five liter limit - I know lots of people who have transported more than that, thinking they just had to deal with possible customs tax. I wonder if this is ever enforced?

How do you all get it home? I would think that packing it my suitcase would be pretty risky with the way the airlines toss those suitcases around. DH and I haven't really bought any because of this.

I'm very fortunate to live in the great state of Florida within 3 hours of 4 different ports. I just put it in the trunk and drive off!:p

The new issue is now the weight of each piece of luggage. It becomes a cost-benefit analysis. If the bag exceeds 50# that really reduces the cost savings on the liquor. For me, I intend to only bring home the very high-end goods, and probably limit the quantity. We used to take an extra bag, but now that bag will cost $$$$$.

The answer is Soli elit (the world's finest Vodka) which can be had for about $35 in St. Maarten:

elit-bottle2.jpg

Frank12: liquor is definitely cheaper on St. Martin than on the cruise ship. We were ther last week on the Solstice & I bought 1 litre of Johnnie Walker Gold Label 18yr old scotch for $40. The ship wanted $65. We bought it at Caribbean Paradise way up Front Street-it was the cheapest since we checked every store along Front Street & walked back to get it. Wait until you hit the island.

• 2 weeks later...
My DH collects specialty liquors as a hobby so he checks all the prices of each port against the ship's prices. St Martin is by far the best place to buy liquor, at least for high end stuff anyway. He used to buy everything in St Thomas until he realized how much better the prices are in St Martin.

He buys everything at Juggie's in St Martin. Here's some info about Juggie's if you're interested. You can get 2 beers & a cuban cigar (I hate those things) for $2.99 plus he advertises free clean restrooms if you're just walking around town.

http://www.familytravelfun.com/juggiesplace.html

I did get your other post. Thank you. I figured since this thread had a little more chat than mine, someone may also know a little more. This is what you call a passion for me to find since I experienced it on the Explorer of the Seas.

I did get your other post. Thank you. I figured since this thread had a little more chat than mine, someone may also know a little more. This is what you call a passion for me to find since I experienced it on the Explorer of the Seas.

My DH is out of town so when he returns I'll ask him if he has this and how much it was. I see several bottles with XO in the liquor cabinet so maybe he'll know exactly what to tell you.

Then again he may not be willing to admit to me how much he pays for this stuff!!

My DH is out of town so when he returns I'll ask him if he has this and how much it was. I see several bottles with XO in the liquor cabinet so maybe he'll know exactly what to tell you.

Then again he may not be willing to admit to me how much he pays for this stuff!!

Knowing what I know about it, I understand. That is why I want to get it there. It has to be much cheaper than here.

Archived