Chair Saving Poll

dwjoe

How long is a reasonable amount of time to "save" a deck chair?  

448 members have voted

1. 1. How long is a reasonable amount of time to "save" a deck chair?

• Up to 15 minutes
    • Up to 30 minutes
    • Up to 1 hour
    • Up to 2 hours
    • Up to 4 hours
    • Over 4 hours

On my recent cruise in December, I was sitting in a chair and DH was in the hot tub. He left his shirt, towel and Ipod on his chair. This lady walks over an starts to move the chair. I told her it was taken. I told her my dh was in the hot tub. She says, "yeah right" and continues to take the chair. I told her she needed to find another chair this one was taken. She told me that I couldn't save a chair for a child. At this point dh sees that something is going on. So I point to him, he waves and she walks away.

A few minutes later I see her dragging a chair to put right across the isle so no one could get up off their chairs. She was blocking them in:eek:. She didn't think there was anything wrong until people started complaining. She must have thought she needed the "perfect spot". She finally moved the chair out of the way.

DevilsJets fan,

I think most, if not all, agree that actually being in the pool and not in your seat continuously isn't the 'seat hogging' problem. Neither is a quick trip back to the cabin to retrieve the book/sunscreen/sunglasses/etc. that one forgot, a trip to the bathroom, or a trip to the pool bar. I don't care about those situations one bit, even given my PP. I think the big problem is when people are not even in the pool area and expect that lounge chairs should just sit empty 'in case' they decide to use them at 'some point' in the day.

Agreed. The key here is most, though, as some consider even being in the pool away from your chair. That is insane.

What if I stand up next to my chair to stretch? Should I start looking for a new chair?

I usually don't enter the chair hog discussions. However, I'll have to say that on our Navigator cruise this week, I saw the worst display of it that I have ever seen. You could see the frustration of people trying to find a place to sit.. Every deck chair around the pool and in the "stadium section" had a towel on them by 8:30 A.M. and I would guess that there were only 5 people actually in one....I almost went back to my cabin to get my camera. We went on to the WJ for breakfast and then out to drink a couple of cups of coffee and by 9:30 there were around 20 folks out there. By 10, I would say 60% were still empty.

Agreed. The key here is most, though, as some consider even being in the pool away from your chair. That is insane.

What if I stand up next to my chair to stretch? Should I start looking for a new chair?

Yeah, it is probably impossible to get a 100% consensus on what constitutes 'chair hogging.' But if a passenger is in the pool area chances are very high that they are in that chair at least some of any given half hour. I think that, I am going to go out on a limb here, most people here would agree that so long as you are in the pool area it is more than reasonable to 'save' a chair with your things. The problem is when people wake at the crack of dawn, drop a towel on a chair *just in case* they might want it later. And there ARE people that do this.

Anyway, I do agree that it should be the pool staff that moves 'abandoned' items. So I appreciate and agree with your POV.

On the other hand, I am a Patriots fan. So we probably can't just get along, LOL!!!! :rolleyes::)

My suggestion is that if you have a chair and go to the bathroom, or swimming you leave your seapass card on the chair. If you want a drink a waiter will always get one and bring it to you.

Then if someone sees an empty chair with no seapass card they can take it. I think the long-term 'chair hogs' would be reluctant to leave their seapass card all day.

It would also stop the cases where people go ashore but reserve a chair for when they come back.

As someone else said if there were no 'chair hogs' there would be plenty of chairs to choose from and therefore no problem.

My suggestion is that if you have a chair and go to the bathroom, or swimming you leave your seapass card on the chair. If you want a drink a waiter will always get one and bring it to you.

Then if someone sees an empty chair with no seapass card they can take it. I think the long-term 'chair hogs' would be reluctant to leave their seapass card all day.

It would also stop the cases where people go ashore but reserve a chair for when they come back.

As someone else said if there were no 'chair hogs' there would be plenty of chairs to choose from and therefore no problem.

I would not leave my credit card laying around so there is no way I am leaving my SeaPass on the chair and walking away! You could end up "buying" a drink for half the people poolside while you are away!

Archived