kids - sea sick

faith1

:confused:We are set to go on our cruise which will be a first for our daughter who is 7. I am worried about her getting sea sick, it is a 7 day, any suggestions??

Has anyone had bad experiences with their kids? What I mean is that they were sick the whole time???

If she suffers motion sickness on land, in the car, on amusement rides, then have your doctor prescribe a preventative. You'll both be happier!

If she's never had motion sickness, chances are she'll be fine on the ship! Have your doctor recommend something, just in case!!!!

:confused:We are set to go on our cruise which will be a first for our daughter who is 7. I am worried about her getting sea sick, it is a 7 day, any suggestions??

Has anyone had bad experiences with their kids? What I mean is that they were sick the whole time???

My grandson has been cruising with me since he was 8 years old. He's 17 now. A few times he has experienced slight nausea.....a quick trip to the Purser's Desk - or a call to room service - brought Bonine...free...which did the trick just fine.

Don't wait until the vomiting begins. At the first sign of any nausea, get the Bonine!!!1

thanks everyone. What is bonine?? Is that like Gravol?? Does it make you tired???

I don't know what Gravol is, but in the pharmacy area at Walmart, it's by the other motion sickness OTC medications. And the Bonine ours carried was chewable and tasted good. It never made me tired, but Dramamine did - even the non-drowsy formula.

Bonine is an over the counter sea sickness med, like Dramamine. I prefer Bonine, my daughter and I both used it on a cruise out of New York in the winter, and the boat was rocking something fierce. But my DH and son were fine, they didn't need anything. It just depends on the person, but take it at the first sign of feeling funny, or if you know she's prone to motion sickness, take it just before sailing. My daughter and I discovered that sitting in the pool's hot tub helped a lot, for some reason. Laying down didn't help at all.

Yes I did, but it was my 16 year old. We fly to San Juan, he was fine on the plane, we got on the ship, the minute the ship pulled out from the dock he started to feel ill. It was done hill from there. He spent most of the time laying on the bathroom floor by the toilet, [handicapped bathroom big floor] We finally had to take him to the ships doctor for IV fluid and shots. then he slept most of the time.

There was one special thing, I had rented formal clothes for him because I wanted the photo of him in them. He knew this and come formal night he dressed in them and came down to the lobby, he could not stand in the line so hubby stood in for him while he sat nearby, came his turn they had him pose etc. and the second they were done he and he dad litterally ran through the ship to the nearest mens room and he upchucked again, managed to not get it on the White dinner jacket.

I have that photo on my desk and it means more to me than any other photo I have.

But I have always felt awful about how bad that cruise was for him, and he had been so excited about going and all.

Our first cruise was when DS was 3 1/2, and I was worried about that too. He never had any problems - it was me! I take the the chewable Bonine - which is fine for kids. You could get some of that just in case. It's fine for kids.

Careful about providing medical advice to other people's children. I know you are trying to help, but Bonine is not safe for all children. When dealing with a child it is generally best to obtain feedback from their pediatrician before giving even OTC medications for the first time as certain pre-existing conditions, other medications they are taking, etc. may interact negatively. Bonine may be "fine" for her child, but then again it may be dangerous for her child. Only a doctor familiar with her child's medical history can determine that.

Careful about providing medical advice to other people's children. I know you are trying to help, but Bonine is not safe for all children. When dealing with a child it is generally best to obtain feedback from their pediatrician before giving even OTC medications for the first time as certain pre-existing conditions, other medications they are taking, etc. may interact negatively. Bonine may be "fine" for her child, but then again it may be dangerous for her child. Only a doctor familiar with her child's medical history can determine that.

It's fine for children with no pre-existing medical conditions. If you read the box (and everyone should....), it outlines where issues can occur. If a child has medical issues (mine only has allergies and takes OTC meds) most responsible parents would check with their physician before giving anything their child anyway.

It's fine for children with no pre-existing medical conditions. If you read the box (and everyone should....), it outlines where issues can occur. If a child has medical issues (mine only has allergies and takes OTC meds) most responsible parents would check with their physician before giving anything their child anyway.

Also on many boxes (there are different brands, so not all put the same warnings) it states that a physician should be consulted before administering to a child under the age of 12.

Speaking about what you have done with your own child is fine and helpful, but it is not prudent to advise people on what medications are "safe" for their children. There is no way for you to know that.

Go to your local health food store or vitamin store and get your child some ginger candy, gum, or tablets. It is 100% natural and cures sea sickness very well. I get the ginger gum at our local Rite Aid store in the OTC sea sickness isle. It worked really great for my DS and me (I rarely get sick but we had some really rough water in Alaska), on our last cruise. Sea Bands work great also, and you can get them at your local drug store I wouldn't make a big deal in front of your child about it, because a lot of time it can be "mind over matter". When our DS was little he would get air sick every time we flew. But the DS, noticed that if he distracted him with a game or story, he didn't get air sick. So that's a thought.

Also on many boxes (there are different brands, so not all put the same warnings) it states that a physician should be consulted before administering to a child under the age of 12.

Speaking about what you have done with your own child is fine and helpful, but it is not prudent to advise people on what medications are "safe" for their children. There is no way for you to know that.

I'm not seeing your issue here... :confused:

She made a recommendation about what worked for her family. This is what the OP asked for.

The OP would presumably read the box of any medication she would purchase. If the box says to consult a physician, it is her responsibility to do so. If she didn't, it's certainly not the person's fault who recommended the medication. :rolleyes:

An analogous thread would be:

OP: Does anyone have any ideas about what headache medication works best?

Poster1: Aspirin works for me.

Poster2: How could you possibly post a recommendation to use aspirin? Don't you know that aspirin serves as a blood thinner and is unsafe to take if the OP is already taking certain medications? It is irresponsible of you to promote aspirin usage without adding a disclaimer that she needs to consult her physician first!

Me: Oh please!! Common sense, people!!??!

My girl inherited her dad's sea legs. Six cruises (first at 23 months of age, the sixth at age 8) and not a hint of motion sickness. And that included our Hawaiian cruise which usually has rough seas the first couople of days. She can even read in the car. On the other hand, I bring candied ginger and ginger flavored Altoids on a cruise with me. (note: not everyone can tolerate ginger or just any remedy)

My suggestion is to contact your child's pediatrician and talk to a nurse about possible remedies. Try them out on her ahead of time to make sure she doesn't react badly (probably won't) or get drowsy. Then take along at least a couple of the ones that work.

There are some non-medication things you can try: saltines, ginger ale, green apples. But it's nice to be prepared.

With the right remedy, the cruise will go smoothly. My mother, who would get motion sickness at the slightest motion on a bus, went on a cruise five years ago wearing a patch and had no problems at all.

In another thread (Motioneaze is the subject line) they really liked motioneaze which is an herbel oil that you put behind your ear. They said it could be purchased at Walmart and I am going to try to find it today. I think you can check it out on their website: www.motioneaze.com

They claim it is all natural and can be used for children and people on meds. I would thoroughly check it out first and check with your pedy about it also.

I'm not seeing your issue here... :confused:

She made a recommendation about what worked for her family. This is what the OP asked for.

My issue here is that the person I was responding to did not merely say what worked for her family, but twice in her post stated that Bonine is fine for children (not hers, but all children). This is from her post: "I take the the chewable Bonine - which is fine for kids. You could get some of that just in case. It's fine for kids. "

Her statement is not only untrue, but potentially dangerous. While it is safe for many children, it is toxic to some so it is not prudent to tell someone that it is "fine for kids."

I posted earlier in the thread, but no feedback from anyone. Are we the only family that had success with sea bands? They are NOT a medication, and I have no idea how they actually work, but they are elastic wrist bands with little plastic discs on the inner wrist. They were wonderful for our son who was quite ill on the Star some years ago. We purchased them on board. We were delighted because they were not a pharma solution and he did not feel like eating or drinking!

Thanks for all the replies ladies:) Just to put everyone at ease, I have scheduled an appt with my ped tomorrow for my daughter. I will ask his advice, I had planned to do that anyway! But I have also taken some precautions as well and appreciate everyone's input. I have purchased the seabands, the ginger candy, and will have ginger ale as well. I have never given her gravol, but depending on what my ped says tomorrow, I will try this on her before we leave, just in case. My hopes is that she won't need anything, but she does get a little car sick, only on long drives, but I'll hope for the best. I am just going to keep her so busy, she won't even notice!!!!

I get car sick so much easier than everyone else in my family. There were seven of us on the ship together. They all used those prescription patches. I was cautious about using it, so I decided to stick with the Bonine. It worked really well, for me! They all ended up sea sick on the last night back in the choppy waters. For little kids, I would pick up some of those ginger snap cookies as well.

Archived