Majesty of the Seas

Mjasp

Am thinking of taking the Majesty of the Seas 4 day cruise in August 2005 and spending a couple of days in South Beach.

Can someone who has taken the 4 night Majesty of the Seas cruise please let me know if it is family friendly or is it a party ship. I will be traveling with my husband and 2 daughters 13 and 9.

Is it a nice ship or worn and old looking? I've sailed on the Disney Magic twice and am looking to try a new ship.

Thanks In Advance

My information for you is dated, but I think still of value.

I took my three college-age children (all at different colleges) on Majesty several years ago instead of Christmas presents. The short cruise was perfect for those who aren't sure that cruising is to their liking. We left on Jan. 2nd and there were plenty of families at that time of year. They all loved it and wanted more!

Although I haven't used them, RCCL seems to have great programs for children. The younger kids at our dining table couldn't wait to get back there.

We also stayed in South Beach for three days after our cruise. The "kids" loved it because of all the nightlife and clubs and shopping. It's definately not a quiet place to stay, but if you know this ahead of time... It's also extremely good for "people watching". The sand at South Beach is very hard, and I'm not sure if this is true, but I heard the "beach" is actually rock that is covered with dredged sand.

We had a great vacation, but then I think the South Beach portion was more geared to my older "kids".

Hope this helps.

THEDUCHESS

I think you will find the Majesty to be more family friendly then South Beach. We enjoyed both but we did not have kids with us. I don't know how much you know about South Beach but be prepared for topless sunbathing and drag queens. I know these might upset some with children your age. Just an FYI.

We went to South Beach last year for a long weekend as my husband had to attend to some business in Miami. I LOVED people watching there.

We only saw 1 topless bather, but my kids didn't see her as she was laying down and they were in the water when she left.

Maybe we will give the Majesty a try, Thank you and if anyone else has a comment, please post it.

TIA

Just got off the Majesty yesterday (only a 3-nighter). Was surprised by how many families were on board. There seemed to be an equal number of families as partyers...didn't have any trouble from either.

I have sailed Majesty of the Seas twice; 3 days in January 2001 and 4 days July 2004. The first cruise was just me and Mrs. BamaVol. The second we brought our 2 youngest sons (13 & 17). Both trips were fantastic. As of July, the Majesty is not worn but probably shows her age to those who have sailed on newer ships. The addition of the rock climbing wall took place between our sailings. I can't think of any other additions but she seemed to gleam as brightly. There is a first class maintenance organization on board. Service was exceptional both times. The steward and waitstaff showed a personal interest in our boys. Our waiter, Alejandro, stayed for 30 minutes after dinner to teach my boys puzzles and word games and just talk.

We all love Coco Cay. I took the 13 year old on the waverunner tour and we both had a blast. My wife and 17 year old just enjoy the hammocks under the palms.

The ship was overwhelmed in July, not with partyers but with families. There were 3 large family reunions on board. You could tell by the T shirts of the same color that spelled out "Johnson Family Reunion". It made for a noisy but fun trip. We shared a table with members of one of the families - they were very nice. There was not an empty cabin to be found, in contrast to our January sailing. The crew handled the crowds well. The only noticeable crunch was the Windjammer late breakfast and lunches. the line sometimes took 25 minutes to reach the food and empty tables were in short supply. No problem! We made extra friends sharing tables at lunch.

I give MOS my highest recommendation - we are sailing her a third time January 05. This time were taking the in-laws on their first cruise. Can't wait!

Archived