Will all ships have Open Dining?

tink24

I believe that most cruisers who have experienced open or free-style dining on other lines have enjoyed it. I have been on several NCL cruises that had free-style dining and that is one of the reasons I prefer NCL. We have booked for our first Carnival cruise next Jan on the Miracle and hopefully it will have open seating. While there are plusses to traditional dining, I would hate to be stuck at a table with bratty kids whose parents don't control them, or with unpleasant cruisers. What a way to spoil a cruise.

I suggest anyone who's interested in reading about other's experiences using freestyle dining go read other cruiseline threads. Princess has a variety of opinions and a lot aren't all that positive. Before we went on our Princess cruise I read up on it and talked to some people on our cruise in '07 who were less than impressed. In theory, it may sound great to some, but in practice, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

I was not fir it when we got on the Legend but now we love it! You can sit at a table for 2 or you can have a table with other people. It is your choice. Main dinning is still availbale. But not everyone can have that. The first night we sat at a table for 8 thier were 3 sets of couples. The next night we sat with another couple whom we sat with 3 other times and had our same waiter. I hope this will be available on the Dream.

My understanding is that "anytime"/"mytime" dining will be an option fleetwide on Carnival and RCCL by the end of this year ....it seems it has been well received.....

I loved it on Princess and hope CCL goes that way too.

I'm introverted and like to eat with just my family.

Bill

While there are plusses to traditional dining, I would hate to be stuck at a table with bratty kids whose parents don't control them, or with unpleasant cruisers. What a way to spoil a cruise.

No reason for you to be stuck. If you get placed at a table you don't like for whatever reason, you can see the Maitre D' and ask that he move you to a different table for the remainder of the cruise.

Miracle is getting the open dining option next month, so you will be able to choose that option for your January cruise if that's what you wish.

Enjoy the Miracle........great ship! :)

I suggest anyone who's interested in reading about other's experiences using freestyle dining go read other cruiseline threads. Princess has a variety of opinions and a lot aren't all that positive. Before we went on our Princess cruise I read up on it and talked to some people on our cruise in '07 who were less than impressed. In theory, it may sound great to some, but in practice, it's not all it's cracked up to be.

Why not just read about it on this board. There are dozens of threads and reviews about Open Seating on Carnival ships.

It not for everyone, but it seems many that have tried it, enjoy it. Those that dont, wont see any change in their dining experience. That can stick with Traditional.

I think its great that the cruise lines are giving people options. I know many are reluctant to change, but in this case, its really only change, for those that want it. The rest can eat the same way they always did at an assigned time.

I've only cruised once, last year on NCL (when, apparently, a couple more of the "specialty" restaurants were still free -- I don't believe you have to pay for ALL of them now, but, for instance, we ate in the Italian restaurant on GEM for free last year, now I believe you have to pay for that).

We were part of an extended family group of 11 people. We never had to wait more than maybe five minutes to get a table at the Main Dining Room without a reservation, and usually our group of 11 was ushered right in. Once we arrived to find a line at the larger (and in our opinion, nicer) of the two MDRs, but we just went to the smaller midships one, and got right into that one.

I am totally looking forward to our upcoming Carnival cruise in April, but have to say that the comments about waiting in line on NCL ships that I often read here on the Carnival boards are, in my opinion, somewhat overblown! I'm looking forward to trying the "traditional" dining model on Carnival, but believe me, the "eat-anytime" system on NCL, largely, works.

We read the same thing before we cruised on Princess.......

Guess what? We love it on Princess..........I would suggest the ones that complained about it should just stick with traditional.......problem solved:p

Oh and we also read that Princess caters to the older generation and that eveything closed down about 10:00 p.m......guess what? wrong again:p

We read the same thing before we cruised on Princess.......

Guess what? We love it on Princess..........I would suggest the ones that complained about it should just stick with traditional.......problem solved:p

Oh and we also read that Princess caters to the older generation and that eveything closed down about 10:00 p.m......guess what? wrong again:p

Most people who are traditionalist as far as dining goes complain to the high heavens if they can't get traditional on Princess.

A very high percentage like it after actually trying it.

While we are Platinum on Carnival, Princess is our favorite line to cruise but we will cruise any line if the price and itinerary are right.:)

Bill

Why not just read about it on this board. There are dozens of threads and reviews about Open Seating on Carnival ships.

It not for everyone, but it seems many that have tried it, enjoy it. Those that dont, wont see any change in their dining experience. That can stick with Traditional.

I think its great that the cruise lines are giving people options. I know many are reluctant to change, but in this case, its really only change, for those that want it. The rest can eat the same way they always did at an assigned time.

Because Princess has been doing it longer and that was all my point was. There are very few posts on the Carnival boards about it compared to Princess and I've seen many that hated it and that's the reason I said it. I still would like to know why this hasn't been announced by Carnival? It's not on the website at all and change isn't the issue, it's how it's been handled, as in, not at all.

As for the above poster, SS, where are your statistics to prove your point? Or is that just your opinion?

I don't really care one way or the other, except I would like to be given the choice and not have it decided for me if that's what's happening. For most, this seems to have come out of left field. Last I had heard was they were "trying" it on a couple of ships and nothing was ever officially said about fleetwide. I would like to hear from more Carnival cruisers and how they were given a choice or not.

Most people who are traditionalist as far as dining goes complain to the high heavens if they can't get traditional on Princess.

A very high percentage like it after actually trying it.

Bill

That's what I have read also;) But it really doesn't matter because it will become fleetwide and it won't be because people hate it;):D

I hope they don't all go to open dining. As a concept it sounds good, but a lot who have experienced it on other lines don't particularly care for it. I know the biggest problem is the lines that you have to stand in while waiting to be seated at the peak dining times. And, yes, they take reservations, but that kind of defeats the purpose, now doesn't it? Everyone can't eat at say, 6-6:30 which is prime time. A 4 year old can also sit through dinner. I've seen plenty of them doing it, which is the main reason Camp Carnival is closed during that time, that and the fact the counselors need time off and to eat also. So, my suggestion would be to use dinner as teaching time for dining out. Plus, the wait staff loves having kids in the dining room. Most of them have kids that they only see a couple of times a year while under contract.

We just got off the Carnival Liberty and there were 6 of us in our party. We ate between 6:30 and 8:00 every night. Never had a wait longer than 15 minutes. And yes they said that anytime dinning will be expanding through out the fleet. Not sure how soon. Can't understand why you would not want it to expand. It does not stop you from eating in the dining room?

We sail on the Splendor in November and are bringing our almost 4 year old son. We are hoping to be able to feed him somewhere (room service, buffet, etc.) then drop him off at Camp Carnival while we enjoy dinner in the main dining room. We are currently scheduled for main dining and it looks like Camp Carnival is closed during part of our dining time. Do you think the Splendor will have Open Dining by then? If not, any suggestions? Thanks:)

Oh yeah, 2nd seating isn't an option. We ate at 8:15 on our last cruise and almost fell asleep at the table;)

Hopefully, Carnival will not go to Open Dining. There is nothing like knowing which table is yours, who your waiter is, and after a time they will know your likes and dislikes.

So should I assume that the ships not named already have the open seating? Or did I miss something? I'm on the Destiny in June and saw no mention of it. Thanks

The date for transition to open dining on the Destiny has not yet been announced, but I would venture to say it will be sometime in the 2nd half of 2009. See https://www.bookccl.com/irman/Booking_Procedures_Policies/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html for details on what ships will transition when. If the ship is not listed, it will not have open seating until the 2nd half of the year.

The date for transition to open dining on the Destiny has not yet been announced, but I would venture to say it will be sometime in the 2nd half of 2009. See https://www.bookccl.com/irman/Booking_Procedures_Policies/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html for details on what ships will transition when. If the ship is not listed, it will not have open seating until the 2nd half of the year.

Cool Looks like the Sensation starts next week. I almost booked her for an April cruyise until I found a cheaper price on Disney.

It would have been nice to have anytime dining.

Bill

Hopefully, Carnival will not go to Open Dining. There is nothing like knowing which table is yours, who your waiter is, and after a time they will know your likes and dislikes.

That train has already left the station. Its not a matter of if, its just a matter of when all the ships will implement Open Seating. As has been mentioned several times on this thread. You still have the choice of Traditional dining.

It should also be mentioned with Open Seating you have the choice of picking and keeping your dining staff for the duration of your cruise. When making the reservation for Open Seating you can ask for a specific dining team.

Archived