June 1 passports rules official brochure

smeyer418

Okay, so if I am reading correctly, US & Canadian children under 16 are not required to have a passport (can use certified copy of birth certificate), and any US citizen can still use a certified copy of their birth certificate for a cruise as long as the cruise starts and ends in the same US port. That would simplify things for someone like my daughter and her family of 5 who were considering taking a cruise in Sept. but the cost of buying passports for all of them was making them reconsider cruising. Hope this is indeed correct.

Okay, so if I am reading correctly, US & Canadian children under 16 are not required to have a passport ....

only on a cruise that returns to the same US port(closed loop)....if you fly you still need a passport for everyone...

that's the way I read it too. You know its really bad when a passport for a kid(under 16) is only good for 5 years and it costs almost as much as an adult's...

Clerky, I agree you are reading it correctly.

The main difference for children is that they may continue to use the BC to cross a land or non-cruise sea border after June 1; adults will need a passport, passcard or NEXUS/Sentri card.

Both children and adults may continue to use BC (+DL for adults) on RT cruises.

And as smeyer said, everyone already needs a passport for an air border.

You know its really bad when a passport for a kid(under 16) is only good for 5 years and it costs almost as much as an adult's...

Actually, it's quite logical. Children change appearance dramatically within five years, and the processing cost is not related to the age of the subject.

Actually, it's quite logical. Children change appearance dramatically within five years, and the processing cost is not related to the age of the subject.

and is just as logical to charge them 85% of the adult amount instead of 50%?

Remember though...if there is an emergency and you are in other country, you might not be able to get back into the states without a passport. We decided to go ahead and spend the money. Who knows if something would happen to one of us or the kids....we want to be able to get home ASAP if need be. I would rather spend the money on that than travel insurance.

Clerky, I agree you are reading it correctly.

The main difference for children is that they may continue to use the BC to cross a land or non-cruise sea border after June 1; adults will need a passport, passcard or NEXUS/Sentri card.

Both children and adults may continue to use BC (+DL for adults) on RT cruises.

And as smeyer said, everyone already needs a passport for an air border.

Does not say that adults can continue to use a birth certificate.

Adults will require a passport, passport card, or enhance driver licenses on RT cruise.

If you are going on a cruise after June 1st, get a passport.

Does not say that adults can continue to use a birth certificate.

Adults will require a passport, passport card, or enhance driver licenses on RT cruise.

If you are going on a cruise after June 1st, get a passport.

I suggest you go back and reread under special audiences. cruise ship passengers. I tried cutting it and pasting it but it won't let me.

It doesn't say what you posted.

and is just as logical to charge them 85% of the adult amount instead of 50%?

It is logical for an end-user to complain about paying 85% of the cost of a document with a 10 year useful life for a document with a five year useful life.

It is logical for the government to charge the same amount for both documents given that the processing overhead is the same. However, the government splits (somewhat) the difference and charges 85%.

In the end, it is a useless expenditure of energy to rail against government service charges, logical or not.

It is logical for an end-user to complain about paying 85% of the cost of a document with a 10 year useful life for a document with a five year useful life.

It is logical for the government to charge the same amount for both documents given that the processing overhead is the same. However, the government splits (somewhat) the difference and charges 85%.

In the end, it is a useless expenditure of energy to rail against government service charges, logical or not.

yes but remember the passport isn't required for a closed loop cruise. The is nothing wrong with complaining about it. The fact that the government is not logical is irrelevant.

I suggest you go back and reread under special audiences. cruise ship passengers. I tried cutting it and pasting it but it won't let me.

It doesn't say what you posted.

It does say that as an adult, you do not need a passport to enter or depart the country; you merely need a birth certificate and a government issued photo id on a closed-loop cruise. However, you may need a passport to enter a port on your cruise if this is required.

Archived