Trying to decide what to do in Cozumel with a 3 year old.

delta cruiser

We are cruising for the first time with our 3 year old son and we are trying to decide what to do while we are in Cozumel. We have looked at various excursions, and have also thought of just making it a beach day. We would appreciate any suggestions of beaches that would be nice. We have looked at Paradise Beach, is this a kid friendly place? Also if anyone has done a beach day, what have you done about car seats? Do cabs have seat belts? When at the beach what would you do with the car seat, if you used one to get there? Any info would be appreciated! Thanks

I just found one beach in Cozumel that I LOVE for kid activities. But you may have a problem because you are sailing on Carnival and I *think* that this excursion has an age minimum because of the way Carnival gets its guests out there.

The island is called "Passion Island"

On our Royal Caribbean cruise a few weeks ago, we took a bus, then a small boat ride over to the island. The Carnival guests were whisked by high speed power boat (called the Twister). So if that is the mode of transportation, then the excursion is not for the 3 year old. :(

I just added a review for this excursion here...

http://cruisingwithchildren.blogspot.com

My kids are 4 and 8. They loved it here. And it was the best beach that I have found in Cozumel yet.

If I see it offered on the Carnival excursion list with no age minimum, I will let you know.

Nevermind :(

I just checked the Carnival site and this is what I found...no other option around the powerboat.

Feel the adrenaline rush through your body in this extreme boat ride to Isla Pasión!

• Following a safety briefing, you’ll head out towards a private island on northern Cozumel.
  • Experience incredible acceleration and high speed maneuvers, including 360° turns at high speed, as Twister skims along the Caribbean waters!
  • After your thrill ride, you’ll arrive at a secluded beach where you can enjoy its amenities, away from the crowds.
  • Wiggle your toes in the sand as you relax in your beach chair at Isla Pasion’s white sand beach or let the gentle breeze rock your hammock.
  • Go for a swim, jump on the water trampoline, kayak around the calm turquoise waters, or shop for silver jewelry, pottery and clothing at the open-air mini mall.
  • The kids will have lots of fun at the Ewan-O Club, jumping on the trampoline or painting their own Mexican handcrafts.
  • Enjoy a complimentary Mayan lunch buffet and open bar during your stay at Isla Pasión.

Note: Minimum age is 7 years; maximum weight is 300 lbs. Lunch and open bar (sodas, beer, water, rum punch, Margaritas and Passion Special) are included; cash bar is also available. Life vests are provided and must be worn on the speedboat. Journey from the ship to Isla Pasión is approximately 30 minutes each way. Advise your tour guide if you would like to participate in beach activities or take a hiking tour around the natural sanctuary. Pregnant women and guests with back/neck injuries or heart conditions are not permitted in this excursion.

We went to Paradise Beach last January, our children were 6 & 7 at that time. It was very nice for us and the kids. We paid (I think it was) $10 per person for the wristbands that got us use of all the watertoys. Our kids had a fabulous time on the water trampolines, boy did they bounce like crazy! We also used Paradise's floaties, snorkels and kayaks.

We took a cab both ways, which was very easy. There were seatbelts in the backseat - a fact I checked for before getting in! We did not haul carseats with us, but used the regular belts, however our children are a good bit older than yours, so obviously taller and heavier...

Debbie

I went to Paradise Beach with my 2 year old DD, and we had a great time. We brought some sand toys from home, and she enjoyed playing in the sand and at the edge of the water. I took a cab from the pier, and I used the Eddie Bauer travel car seat which is great for traveling.

Passion Island does sound wonderful, and I believe I have read over on the Cozumel Port of Call board that you can book an exursion there independently, so you may be able to take your son there without going through Carnival and the "Twister."

Thanks for the replies! We did research Passion Island, and yes you can go there on your own via cab then taking a regular boat. It sounds and looks beautiful, but I think DH and I have decided we will probably go to Paradise Beach with our son this time. Another time we will definetly have to go to Passion Island. Any suggestions about what to do with the carseat at the beach would be helpful. :confused: It's a big heavy carseat (Britax Boulavard), so we don't want to just drag it around. Thanks for any suggestions.

Michelle,

I am so glad to read your positive review of Passion Island. We will be in Cozumel next month on the Ruby Princess with our 3 year old daughter. After looking at SO many excursion options, we finally decided on Passion Island (Princess offers a non-Twister boat excursion to Passion Island). I am happy to know that you and your girls enjoyed it!

Thank you for all of the information you provide,

Jennifer

I would suggest Chakanaab. We took our 18 month old son there last year and he had a great time playing in the sand. They have a little cove that is perfect for the little ones. DH and I took turns playing with him and doing snuba and simming with the dolphins. They also have plenty of shade, some nice nature walks, ruins, food and drink. It was a fun day.

We went to Paradise Beach with our 3 year-old and it was great! She loved the beach and sand and Hubby loved the covered restaurant area/bar. He is not a lie in the sun type of guy. The food was great although a tad bit expensive. The facilities were very clean and large changing areas. Its a very nice beach for families. No roudy drunk people there, just laid back families were all we saw.

We were on the MSC Orchestra at the end of Jan and went to Mr. Sanchos Beach Club with our 5 young kids (all under 5 1/2yo). We loved the non-stop drinks (both alcoholic and non), excellent service, incredible mexican food, and beautiful beach for around $50 per adult. A cab for the 9 of us (my parents included) was around $30 each way. we kept the baby in her car seat, but ended up leaving the 4 other car seats on the boat. We brought our Britax seats too and did not want to lug them off. Our cab did not have enough seat belts, so we made sure the car seat was buckled in, as were our kids. My husband held our 3 yo (tiny, former preemie) on his lap and the seatbelt was not snug enough on her. Our kids loved the beach and the ocean. I have nothing but postives about our experience here and would definitely do it again if we are in Cozumel again.

J

We have done Paradise Beach and Mr. Sancho's. We just bought drinks at both. DD had her hair done at Paradise Beach and we went Souvineer shopping at Mr. Sancho's. We did not use/pay for any toys at either beach since my kids prefer to just play on the beach. For this reason we prefered Mr. Sancho's. It was much less crowded and we basically had the place to ourselves for the first hour since we went their first thing in the morning after getting off the ship. It was beautiful and peaceful.

We are going in April with our 2 1/2 year old-we looked at Paradise Beach but decided against it since it seemed so popular and we are going on vacation week. Also, she is too little to use the water trampoline and all of those toys. We decided to do Nachi Cocum instead-from the reviews it seems much quieter, and all inclusive food and drinks at $50 a person (bonus-kids 3 and under are free). They have a nice ocean swimming area, beach, and pool.

We just got off NCL Spirit 2/15 and went to Chakanaab. We wanted a beach day after so many excursions and it was great. No charge for children under 12, $16 for entry. We had snorkel equipment for our daughter. There is a lagoon with all kinds of tidal pools filled with sea slugs and urchins and clams. There is a playground across the walk, in full view of parents sunbathing.

Kids can snorkel in the lagoon and it never gets very deep. Plus two iguanas hang out by the beach.

Ren

We have reservations at Nachi Cocum for our FOS cruise in September. My son will be 4. I found information on Nachi on the ports of call board for Cozumel. There is quite a bit of information there.

There are several reasons we decided on Nachi:

- They limit the number of people per day

- Food and drink are included; the variety of food looks good

- They have a pool and a beach

- It's a fairly easy cab ride from the port

- They will have beach chairs for us

We've decided not to do any organized excursions on this cruise. This is my son's first cruise, and we don't know how he is going to react. We wanted the freedom of being on our own schedule.

I have been to Passion Island before, and it is amazing. Definitely my favorite excursion ever. We did a jeep tour then a boat ride over to the island through Carnival.

Yes, I got the information for the ports of call board-there is a thread there about Nachi with great reviews. You can find the website there. You have to email a reservation request first and they will let you know if they have availablity, and if so, you can book it. Its $7 per adult for a deposit, you pay the rest in cash. My daughter (under 3) was free. I can't wait! I will be sure to post an update on the kid friendliness factor of it when we return!

I was in Cozumel in August with my then 3-year old and we just took a cab to Chankanaab. We did not use a car seat- we just buckled him into the seat belt of the car. There are travel safety harnesses you can buy if you don't want to use a car seat- we used to have one and I forget the name, search online- ours was airline and car safety approved and could be folded and put in a backpack- worked to turn a seat belt into a 5 pt harness.

Chankanaab was perfect- there is a kids beach which is very shallow and warm, a very nice reef for snorkeling, a swimming pool if your kid prefers that. We were literally the only ones on the beach- and there were 3 ships in port! and it was like a Corona Ad- blue water, palapa, and us. Our 3 year old liked watching the dolphin swim and he could see the fish in the water without a snorkel. Food was great there, and the cab ride was cheap- around $10. The iguanas were super cool too...

Archived