Specialty Resturant: I want your opinion!!!

DH and I are steak lovers, but we also love Italian food. We are only able to pick ONE specialty restaurat on our sailing. So, tell me which one we should choose: Chops or Portofinos? And give me your honest opinion, if you choose Chops, is it worth the extra $5 per person and WHY???

We went to Portofinos because everything I read on here said that the steak was just as good--if not better--than at Chops. My bf had the steak, and I had some of it, and it was amazing. I had the seafood skewer, and it was fantastic. I thought Portofino's was absolutely the right choice for us. I think I will have the steak there on our next cruise. Enjoy!!

Hi,

I am not sure about that, but I remember reading some place that it is possible to order the steak from Chops even when you are in the Portofinos, so perhaps one could have the Italian dish and the other the steak .... and maybe just try a bite of each.

Wes

Maybe I am just being contrary but I prefer Chops over Portofino although both are IMHO very good. It really is a personal decision and whether you choose a steak at Chops or Italian food at Portofino, you aren't likely to be disappointed. :)

I have been to both two times. I enjoy Chops, but I think Portofinos is significantly better. Much more varied menu (still can get great steak if you want it), more upscale ambiance, and great pre-appetizer course (bread bowl with various spreads such as olive, tuna fish, fresh roasted garlic).

I very much preferred Portofino.

The whole meal was an experience - the different courses, the attentive waitstaff.

Whereas in Chops, the food was good, but it just didn't seem as special.

Nothing more to add...this sums it up perfectly. Go to Portofino.

Happy Sails,

Annette

DW and I have done both. The ambiance and service at Portofinos is definitely much better than Chops. That is not to say Chops is not good... we definitely enjoy it. I would put Chops just a notch below Ruth's Chris, still and excellent steak for a cruise ship. We just think Portofinos is just much more romantic and frankly the best way to spend a dinner evening. And you can just order a Chop's steak at Portofinos! The best of both worlds for your situation.

--------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

RCCL Platinum Member

Previous Cruises

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2001

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

Something in 2009 - just have not decided yet

RCCL Oasis of the Seas - April 17, 2010

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day - 2011

Hi I assume Chops and Portofinos are speciality restaurants.

Are they available on Rhapsody Of The Seas?

I read on this thread that you can only choose one. Is one restaurant included free when you book your cruise or how does this work?

Thank you for your assistance!!

I read on this thread that you can only choose one. Is one restaurant included free when you book your cruise or how does this work?

The specialty restaurants are an additional charge. They are not included. Some ships have only Chops, some only have Portofino. Some have both. Chops is $25 pp, Portofino is $20 pp. The tip is included in the up-charge, but there is great debate on this board to tip more. I am unsure which or possibly both restaurants that are on Rhapsody.

We enjoyed our experience very much at Portofino, and include this in our budget. As we go to Ruth's Chris somewhat frequently, I would not bother with Chops.....it doesn't measure up.

Hope you have fun on your cruise......post a review! I love to read them:)

There doesn't appear to be :

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/findacruise/ships/class/ship/home.do;jsessionid=00001riwbcRdgBh8-cUbiG5KkwD:13dlht8th?br=R&shipClassCode=VI&shipCode=RH

Forget the steak.

Just go to Portofino's for the tiramisu!!

n617355351_4375499_5311.jpg

We have enjoyed both...... but love Portofino! And yes... the desert is awesome, especially the "drink" that comes with the tiramisu.

We enjoy the steak at Portofino even more than those served in Chops... we order "medium/well" .... just seems to come out more to our taste at "P"....

We had both and I have to say Portofino. The food and service would so much better. You can get a better quality, better tasting steak at Ruth's Chris, the Chops steak was flavorless.

Would you base the first opinion on comparing Chops and Portofino on the same ship? As for the 2nd opinion, could you have been in the early stages of a getting a cold? Based on my one time eating at Chops on Freedom, the steaks are extremely flavorful, the exact opposite of what you say.

I remember people where I live talking about a great Chili/coney place and trying it for the first time and thinking it was flavorless, we didn't go back for years to try it again I was wrong. Turns out my cold had killed my tastebuds.

Maybe I am just being contrary but I prefer Chops over Portofino although both are IMHO very good. It really is a personal decision and whether you choose a steak at Chops or Italian food at Portofino, you aren't likely to be disappointed. :)

I would advise the OP, since you can only do one, be sure to try the other on your next cruise and let us know what you think.

We have gone to both and agree with most it's Protafino's for us. Chops is very good but Portafino's just had a little edge with flavor. Actually thought the filet in Portafino's was a little tastier because of the seasoning and sauce. The seafood skewer was fantastic to.

We have gone to both and agree with most it's Protafino's for us. Chops is very good but Portafino's just had a little edge with flavor. Actually thought the filet in Portafino's was a little tastier because of the seasoning and sauce. The seafood skewer was fantastic to.

Ditto. Same ship experience. Just doing Portofino's this next trip though.... now if there was a coupon for a discount on specialty restaurants I'm sure more would venture through the doors!!

Archived