deep sea fishing

micelivines

Has anyone taken a deep sea fishing excursion, and would you care to comment? What exactly do they mean by having to be in "good health"?

It is offered at Puerto Quetzal. Also is anyone on the Pearl for the 4-19-09 sailing signed up?? Can it be arranged other than thru NCL?

Thanks everyone.

Michele

micelivines@speedyquick.net

We've taken a number of them.

I believe by "good health" they mean that you can stand and maintain your balance easily. It can be VERY rough.

But we have come to believe that they don't try very hard. They don't usually need to worry about repeat customers.

We appear to be grandparently (is that a word?) and we always get put with either two other oldies or a kid and parent, or once even two ladies. But we are experienced salt water anglers. The boats with all men always seem to come back with more fish than we do and we believe that the captains we get stuck with don't care. No, we aren't missing the fish, they just don't seem to go where they are.

We took the NCL's deep-sea fishing excursion. IMHO, we won't bother going deep-sea fishing anywhere else again away from Bermuda. But I heard somebody had good luck in St. Lucia.

I would never again book a deep sea excursion through the cruiseline; like others have said, the service was just not up to my standards. I am a woman angler, as are my daughters, and many of those captains just don't seem to work hard enough, more like a boat ride. Plus, if you have to share the charter, the "men" always bully in for "first fish" if we ever get any. We have had pretty good luck going out on our own, finding charters through the internet and personal recommendations. Caught dozens of salmon is AK, a nice marlin in St Lucia, shark and sailfish in Hawaii and tuna all over the world. We have had several unsuccessful trips too, but not for lack of trying - that's just what fishing is.

As far as "in good health", I think they are mostly concerned with handling yourself on the boat and in case of emergency. For any fishing trip, being able to enter and exit the boat, maintaining balance, swimming skills, etc are necessary. Being an hour or two offshore is not the place for a medical emergency. Hubby gets seasick on every fishing trip but - God bless him- he continues to join us every time.

Robin

Hubby gets seasick on every fishing trip but - God bless him- he continues to join us every time.

MINE, TOO! We finally figured out that the only thing that helps is Bonine (meclizine). He takes a double dose. The really funny thing is that when he is the captain on our boat in Florida he doesn't get seasick no matter how bad the conditions.

DS and I went on our first Bermuda Deep-Sea fishing 2 months after our dismal so-called Cozumel deepsea fishing excursion. DH had already been on a couple before - in Bermuda. HE was the one one who said the Cozumel one was crap and a rip-off and I had to believe him. The boat was not in a tiptop condition as I discovered later.

When we went on that Bermuda deep sea fishing trip we were WOWED from start to finish - totally different experience than the boring Cozumel one that I had to spend 4 hours hanging on to a pole while boat bobbed up and down. There are lots of deep sea fishing charter boats here and they are all very good and clean and they know what areas to go - depending on what type of fish you want to fish for. Many of them prefer to stay away from the 'game' fishing ground - marlins, etc. (this upsets them) We went to the grounds where we caught tuna, mackeral, wahoo - we caught fish to eat. The boat was clean and crew (a man and wife couple) was great and hard-working and they MADE US WORK!! He let me drive the boat back whilst he cleaned and fileted the fish and they did scrubbing clean up of the boat. It was truly great fun being able to catch and reel in SEVERAL between 15 to 92 pounds fish - better than ONE 500 or something lbs game fish. We had plenty of sushi for several days - at home!

We're booking another trip this June - with the same boat - Gringo.

• 7 months later...
We're probably the only anglers in the history of Alaska who have gone salmon fishing THREE times and never caught a salmon. I shudder to think what those trips have cost us.

We were in Ketchikan in Sept. caught our limit of coho (silver) in 2 1/2 hrs. Call Josh at Salty Sea Charters. 2 of us one boat paid $405 plus liscence and tip.

Im planning a fishing trip in march 09 in cozumel what charter did you use,i dont want ripped off. thanks bsmccurdy73@yahoo.com

Well if you come to Port Canveral I have a 30 footer we take off the port. We catch kings and fins trolling. Ground fishing is done at the weather boyee.. I did watch a sword take my bait and 3 hooks once.

We love fishing and would suggest taking a private charter if you want to ensure a good time. JMHO

Archived