Cruising on a DIET - Tips, Tricks & Support!

wsantelope

[quote=I'm on holiday;18294063]My personal fav's;
[LIST]
[*]Take the stairs. You get both a cardio and a thigh/bun workout.
[*]Just because it's there, it doesn't mean you HAVE to eat it.
[*]Stay away from sugary drinks, i.e. soda's, fruit juice. Opt for water or diet soda.
[*]The "clean plate club" is highly over rated.
[*]If you drink booze (I do) try your fav liquor with club soda and a lime or lemon. There is NO sugar or carb's in club soda!
[*]If a REALLY want something, I'll have it, but just a bite or two. No need to deprive yourself.
[/LIST]
[/quote]

I usually only drink wine, but occasionally I'll have a vodka with Perrier and a twist of lime. I've never tried club soda-it's probably a similar taste.

Fantastic thread. We're leaving Sat to go on the Mariner and we are on deck 10. We both myself and DH have lost about 10 lbs and really want to keep it off...We've done this before and have only gained maybe a lb or so so hopefully it will work for us again;)....Plans as follows:
-Take the stairs...NO ELEVATORS!!! Stair Hogs take the elevators:mad:
-Drink lots of water
-No carbs..Bread, pasta, etc...
-Walk the track everyday for at least 1/2 hour
-visit the exercise room and lift weights at least 3 times
-fruit for breakfest.. and enjoy every morsel in the MDR, Chops & Portifinos

[quote name='missbogota']They had lots of green tea bags in the Windjammer on the Serenade in January...[/quote]

I have been on quite a few RC cruises where they run out after a couple of days. so kborth may want to bring a "backup" supply.

We have this President's Choice Moroccan green tea with mint here in Canada and I love it. I think I will bring lots extra and give some out to other pax.I wish they had more sources for water too. Also I ate the smoked salmon and fresh fruit, especially pineapple for breakfast, not too many carbs.Watch the juice because it's laden with sugar. I have a trick where I only fill my glass with a one quarter of juice and the rest is water, tastes not so bland.Don't use any artificial sweeteners becasue they make you crave sweets. especially soda.I crave sugar so I have to cut it out completely or I'm done.I liek eating in the MDR for lunch because they had small portions and we took our time, not so much food for me tto pig out on and it's more social as you are meeting new people. more talk and less eating.Also try olives, they had a tapenade on the brilliance that was great , a littel bit of fresh bread won't hurt you. I bought the book , French Women Don't get Fat and I loved it , made my own baguettes and soup, dressings, easy and no preservatives. I think onboard food is better because they make items from scratch and that is always healthier.Recipe form the french book for carrot soup , easy and great, Chop 2 or 3 carrots , add same amount of water, bring to a boil ,cool a bit , puree or blend , put back in pan and add a small bit of butter and milk, sea salt to taste,good with salad , homemade dressing 2 Tablespoons olive oil , smidge Dijon mustard and 1 to 2 tablespoons of vinegar, I use apple cider, mix and serve ovver salad with a protein such a slice of fresh cheese.Easy lunch

Maybe we are in the minority but my wife and I don't have weight gain issues on the ship. There are so many meal options that it is not difficult to eat in the context of a diet, whether it is low-fat based, Adkins or any other type.

We also try and stay clear of many desserts although we do indulge at least a couple of times during the week. I also think people run into problems with the frozen drinks they serve on board. Not that you shouldn't have a pina colada or two but not five while you are next to the pool.

The real key is to make use of the exercise facilities on board. The equipment is so much better than ours at home that our workouts just seem much easier. I always find it interesting how many people work out the first or second day of their cruise but are nowhere to be found by day 5 or 6.

Just my thoughts. I hope this helps.

the last cruise i was on, i came home 2 pounds lighter. if you knew me, you'd know just how insane this was... i gain weight soooo easily and expected to come back at least 5 pounds heavier. looking back, i think i know what did it -- i ate dessert, i ate all sorts of carbs, i had many boozy drinks by the pool every day and a burger and fries for lunch on at-sea days... BUT, i ate until i was full and then STOPPED. i never ended a meal feeling gross from overeating. in the MDR at dinner, if i was halfway through my entree and started to feel full, and knew i wanted dessert, i stopped eating the entree so i could save some room. i want to enjoy my vacation and eat and drink whatever i want... but i don't need to eat a giant full serving of everything to enjoy it.

Archived