I have seen the new terminal in bayonne

I just got off the Empress as well. The experience when compared to the NYPST is night and day. Bayonne couldn't have been easier to get into and get out of. The roadways are very clearly marked and there is ample parking. The check in looked like it went smoothly and the inside of the building they are using this season for the terminal building was fine. It was a heck of a lot warmer looking than the pier in NYC. They have tons of busses taking you the 1-2 minute drive to the ship. The whole experience is almost exactly the same as Baltimore. It is in an industrial area like many ports are, but not overly ugly. The previous poster was correct...an old waste site across on one side but no smell and a the water looked clean enough to me. The facilities seem like they will work fine this year and a much better experience than NYC. The newer facilities in the future will only make it all the more better.

Michael

Yes...Please tell ALL details!!! I'll be on it 2 weeks from today & I can't wait any longer!!!!!! [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=9400d3&cdt=2004;5;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500[/img]
UnTiL BeRmUdA!!!

We're sailing the Voyager on May 21st and the Empress on Sept. 18th so we'll be able to see the progress made over the summer. I didn't think the NYC port was that bad at all. We never had a problem getting there, parking, and since we usually started the line, boarding the ship. Of course, since we're from Yonkers, it was more convenient going right down the parkway on the right side to exit into the terminal. This I'm sure will be a little of a hassle but a small price to pay for sailing away. Hey, if you see a couple with a nice looking young man (our son) carrying small beach chairs, say "hi", it'll be us.

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Voyager on 5/21/04

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

That is an intersting story.

I never found the old port too bad either. It is hectic though when you have to go on a bus and they put some of them under the terminal.

I do like the fact that we now do not have to go into NY, since we are from south Jersey.

Im looking forward to looking at some photos of it when cruiser return this weekend.

Chuck and Phillis have you found the mingle thread yet for the Empress.

Follow the link under my cruise list. It should take you there.

Nordic Empress 9-18

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

1987 Chandris Galileo

1989 Celebrity Meridian

1991 Celebrity Meridain

1992 Celebrity Horizon

1994 NCL Dreamward

1996 Celebrity Zenith

1998 NCL Crown

2000 Celebrity Zenith

2002 RCCL Nordic Empress

2003 Celebrity Zenith..the trip north

2004 RCCL Empress of the Sea

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?a=tpc&s=927093444&f=1683059817&m=96010027&r=486100451#486100451

[This message was edited by bermudashorts on 05-10-04 at 12:24 AM.]

We were on 440 today and as we saw the ship we remarked how we would find it much easier to get to this pier over Manhattan any day.It is such an easy drive and no traffic on the weekend ( well excpet the Verrazano, but if you use the ezpass lane ( why anyone would use the others if they did not have to is beyond me..of course unless you are not a NY/ NJ resident) it will be a breeze. And the ride on the Staen Island Expressway to 440 is fairly short, about 3-4 exits, so even in traffic it is not that bad. In fact going to my sis in PA, I use that way all the time to avoid bridge traffic.

I hate to disagree with some of the others, but the pier in Manhattan is a zoo when the ships are in port. The last time we used it we had a horrible time hooking up with the limo we rented. I regret that we have to use it when we go on the NCL Dawn on the 23rd.

barbara02.gif

My vacation pics

http://community.webshots.com/user/abridalmaven

Norwegian Dawn May 23

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=ff0000&cdt=2004;5;23;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Great pics mgiven, thanks a bunch. Just went to the mingle thread bermudashorts. BTW, this will be our tenth cruise to Bermuda in ten years. Every other one is Bermuda cause we love it so much. Did it twice one year. See ya there!

Chuck & Phyllis

Doing Voyager on 5/21/04

Doing Empress on 9/18/04

PS Looking at your sailing history:

We did the Dreamward in 1994 over the 4th of July holiday. The Horizon twice, Zenith once, This will be the fourth Empress, & Majesty twice, all to Bermuda.

Thanks for the information on the new terminal. Since my DH and I are in the east/central part of NJ, I think we'll opt for a car service - will probably be just a bit more expensive than parking, but worth the convenience.

We're on the 5/30/04 sailing to Canada. This will be our first time on RCCL - hope to meet some of your on board!

Geri

THANKS TO EVERYONE FOR THE INFO. MGIVEN, THANKS FOR THE PICTURES. MY GIRLFRIEND AND I WILL BE ON THE JULY 16TH CRUISE ON THE VOYAGER. GETTING GOOSE BUMPS JUST THINKING ABOUT IT. TO THOSE WHO ARE SAILING THIS MONTH, ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY. icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gificon_cool.gif

VOYAGER OF THE SEAS-7/16/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=4169e1&cdt=2004;7;16;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

CARNIVAL VICTORY - 9/11/04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;9;11;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Since you park away from the terminal, how do they handle luggage? Do you drop it off first and then park? Carry it on the bus after you park? Or is there someplace to leave it at the parking lot?

Thanks!

I am a Staten Islander and am so happy about the Bayonne port, I hate the Manhattan traffic, it never stops no matter what time of day, S.I. is only a few miles to Manhattan but we can always depend on an hour or so drive in, the drive home ....oh boy you can only imagine. Bayonne is a quiet area, not much traffic, so it'll be a great relief. As for the parking fee, can't be beat, have had to pay much higher for NYC, Baltimore, Miami etc. all of the parking has always been cash only, so no big deal. Lets give RCCL a chance, they've done a good thing, it;ll all work out fine

Nice pictures.

Thanks for posting them up.

Chuck & Phyllis, seems we travel in the same circle..lol

Nordic Empress 9-18

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;9;18;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0500

1987 Chandris Galileo

1989 Celebrity Meridian

1991 Celebrity Meridain

1992 Celebrity Horizon

1994 NCL Dreamward

1996 Celebrity Zenith

1998 NCL Crown

2000 Celebrity Zenith

2002 RCCL Nordic Empress

2003 Celebrity Zenith..the trip north

2004 RCCL Empress of the Seas

Roll call.. Empress of the Seas 9-18-04...click here

Mgiven, thanks for the pictures. We sail on the Empress 5-23. It will be our first trip to Bermuda and our first time on Empress. We are really looking forward to this cruise. icon_cool.gif

Enchantment Of The Seas 5-27-01

Voyager Of The Seas 5-25-03

Nordic Empress 5-23-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Bermuda, Here we come

Mgiven---

Thank you so much for posting the Statue of Liberty pictures as seen from the ship!!! We are on Voyager on October 22,2004 and I was very curious about this view... Counting down the days... icon_smile.gif

Enchantment of the Seas 10/99

Explorer of the Seas 07/03

You're welcome. The view from the Voyager would be even better. You can go a few decks higher and while it is docked you might be able to get a better vantage point since the ship is 270 feet longer.

Michael

mgiven - THANKS! The photos are great reference. The teminal looks good to me, and the container ships are really not too much different than one would see in Ft Lauderdale. Nice to see that Statue, not quite the same a passing it as we have done in the past, but still nice to be able to see for those who have never. The Empress looks good, I like the shots of the Schooner Bar, but then again, I just like the Schooner Bar on these ships! icon_smile.gif

My family is sailing on May 23rd as well. There are 11 of us going and it is the first cruise for most of us (including myself). I hope some people on ship this week can post more pictures upon their return. Thank you for the pictures.

We cruised out of Baltimore a year ago. At that port, you first drove up to a baggage area where they took your luggage. Then you drove to a parking area and waited for a shuttle bus which then took you to the terminal.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rundogrun:

Since you park away from the terminal, how do they handle luggage? Do you drop it off first and then park? Carry it on the bus after you park? Or is there someplace to leave it at the parking lot?

Thanks!<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Geri

rmdragwa, We are sailing on the Empress on the 23 also. I had a posting going for our cruise, but nobody responded. Glad to see there are others on board with us

Enchantment Of The Seas 5-27-01

Voyager Of The Seas 5-25-03

Nordic Empress 5-23-04

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0000ff&cdt=2004;05;23;17;30;00&timezone=GMT-0500

Bermuda, Here we come

Archived