Seabourn - Is the Food & Service So Superior ?

Jakedog

Thanks, Crystal808/Paul & RVSkvald, for your excellent information and advice. And the menus look tremendous!

It's great that the kitchen can take pretty much any request. Would it be out-of-line to request, before sail date, that they stock some veggie food items such as tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers, low-fat soy milk, etc.? I thought I read somewhere that you can provide input before sailing such as your favorite beverages for mini-bar set up.

SB does sound very upscale and personal. I look forward to my first cruise with them and will come back here with more questions after narrowing down my choice of itineraries.

Thanks again!

Thanks, Crystal808/Paul & RVSkvald, for your excellent information and advice. And the menus look tremendous!

It's great that the kitchen can take pretty much any request. Would it be out-of-line to request, before sail date, that they stock some veggie food items such as tofu, tempeh, veggie burgers, low-fat soy milk, etc.? I thought I read somewhere that you can provide input before sailing such as your favorite beverages for mini-bar set up.

Once you've made your decision to book, you can certainly forward a request for some of those things; chances are very good that they may already plan on varying vegetarian foodstuffs, anyway. Also, when you've booked, you can go online to complete your booking info, which gives you the opportunity to choose your in-suite bar set-up.

SB does sound very upscale and personal.

That, it definitely is! You will not find an experience as far removed from your "first" as you will on SB!

In the meantime, keep on reading the SB threads...you'll learn a lot before your cruise! (That's what it's here for!)

Best wishes for safe, smooth sailing...

Paul :)

Dining on any of the three Seabourn ships is an experience. Having been

on over 70 cruises the last 20 with with Seabourn I will not consider

any other line as I have the best. Silverseas and Seadream do not

compare.

I am counting the days till my next cruise on the Spirit in 4 weeks time.

Don(?), Lois(?),

We'll just have to wait until GrannyLorr returns to find out how they handle that situation! As for myself, I know this sounds terrible but one of the reasons I love ordering something flambeed in the dining room is because many of the passengers who don't know you can order something like that turn and stare wondering why they put on a show by our table. It reminds me of the story Martha tells where when she was served escargot a woman at her table rudely asked " Well who are you anyway?"

It is terrific. I took menus home with me and I salivate when i look at them! The best is a personal decision. BUT let me ask you this: Have you ever cruised on a ship where they addressed you by your name starting with day 2? And it's your first voyage with them! That is impressive!

I dont think they really need to set fire to my bananas in our suite :eek:....I would be quite happy for them to do all the preparation in the galley, then just run the dish up the stairs to me! I will even meet them halfway if that would help!.......if I cant have bananas foster in the suite, I am sure I can think of something else.....:D

Oh GrannyLorr, I think you should order them JUST so we can all find out how they manage it.

Izzy,

One of the many reasons I am looking forward to our cruise this July with our first time Seabourn friends is that while I have told them alot about Seabourn I have not told them about how the staff calls you by name very early in the cruise -- I know they will be blown away by this. I can't wait to see if they can do this in the Odyssey.

I've always been impressed with special Card Room dinners ~~the host and the Ex. Chef plan the menu for the celebration evening. In the past the Chef would roll in the prime rib trolly and carve it tableside ~~usually we've enjoyed the twice baked cheese souffle along with "Creme Brulee on Parade" for desert.

Chairsin, and yes one dinner we were treated to delicious escargot!

Not too many cruise lines will prepare and serve a lavish private dinner for 12 guests!

Martita B.

Martha,

You are right about that -- the only tough part about Seabourn is coming back to the real world after a cruise. I don't know about your home, but at mine there are not three handsome young men vying to carry my fruit plate to my table at breakast -- Sailor Boy is usually out golfing and the cat expects me to carry HER plate.Four months and 18 days until I'm spoiled rotten again.

Spoiled rotten?? Mother and I would slip in the dining room back door for luncheon ~~we'd sit down at our table~~within 3 minutes a sweet waiter would appear with finger sized peanutbutter and jelly sandwiches on a 'lit butter dish for Mother ~~saying "I thought you might like to nibble on your favorite sandwiches while deciding what you'd like for lunch!" (someone in the Galley had prepared those 'lit sandwiches just for her)

Another "magic trick" the adorable waiters would perform, "no menu ever for Mother" ~~(she had little vision) They would simply tell her that the Chef had prepared her favorite pumpkin soup for her.......then, "the Chef has your turkey & dressing ready for you"

Upon desert......out came her favorite coconut creme brulee. One evening Mother said to a waiter, "I don't know how in the world that Chef knows what everybody likes!" These thoughtful gestures will not happen on too many cruise lines!

Seabourn does make dreams come true!

Martita B.

seems like SD may be going downhill while SB for example continues to update menus. (last done in feb 2008 i believe.)

also personally, even if ms europa has better F&B, not including alcohol is a deal killer for me. although at some point i might go with german speaking friends.

Hello, I was wondering if you guys could answer a few questions for me. We are thinking of doing a Transalantic cruise with SB next year.

What are the majority age groups on these cruises. Myself and my husband are late twenty's, early 30's. Just wondering if there will be people in our age group on these cruises.

Also, do they have a wide selection of beer, liqour, wine, champagne? Or is it generally a select few?

Are the spa services included in the all-inclusive cost, or do you have to pay extra?

How are the gyms on board?

Thank you for your help!

Admullin,

You and your husband are on the younger side of the usual passenger age and probably will be in the minority, especially for a crossing. Crossings typically have a bit of a more well traveled passenger vs. something like a Caribbean cruise or shorter itinerary. I am 35 years old and have NEVER felt uncomfortable or out of place on Seabourn. In fact, just the opposite. Seabourn travelers tend to be very warm, welcoming, and fun too.

As for libations, there are always a wide array to choose from. There is no shortage of diverse and quality beverages and food onboard. The spa costs extra and though I never use the gym, my girlfriend does and she says its good.

On Seabourn Transatlantic crossings I would guess that 90% plus of the passengers are over 40 and at least 80% over 50 ,But after April 2010 the small ships will not be doing the crossings and they are expecting to get a younger age group on the Odessy.

Archived