Seabourn - Is the Food & Service So Superior ?

Jakedog

Hi All,

Have previously cruised with Celebrity, then moved up the cruising ladder & found Oceania. Really fell in love with the dining & service & really find it hard to consider how it could be better

However, would like to move further 'up the ladder' & try Seabourn.

I am wondering is the extra price of cruise reflected in the superior food & service?

Look forward to hearing everyone opinion's :)

I am wondering is the extra price of cruise reflected in the superior food & service?

I haven't sailed Celebrity, nor Oceania, but I'd have to answer, in a word: "Yes".

I'm sure others will have more informative comparisons...:)

Paul ;)

I've sailed Celebrity and Oceania. Both great lines in their own right. However, NOTHING compares to Seabourn. Just ask the staff aboard Celebrity or Oceania, if given a choice, which cruise line would they work for. 9 out of 10 would say Seabourn. The staff seems very proud to be with such a well respected company, and it shows in the food, but especially the service.

Not to mention, how nice it is to walk off a ship void a horribly overpriced bar bill!!

The food is so good that I have started cutting back now so I can enjoy our cruise 5 months away!And the service -- well, it defies description. The service is formal but not stiff and friendly but not familiar. How they walk that perfect tightrope I'll never know.

Jakedog,

We completed our first Seabourn cruise in November and I can only confirm all the previous commentson this thread.

From the moment you arrive on board to final sad departure you are treated so very special without any over the top, or patronising ,sort of fussiness, just very proffesional extremely efficient and caring service.

As one of the previous posters commented , no chits to sign for drinks either, makes such a difference.

If you havent already booked definitely consider doing so, especially with the good discounts being offered at the present time.

In the future should you require a referal coupon Iwuold let you have one.

Best Regards, Woldsman.

I just did a 9-day caribbean on SeaDream and thought neither the service nor the food was all that great. I was thinking that Seaborn was supposed to be a cut above SeaDream, but from the comments and Berlitz ratings above I may be mistaken :eek:

So now I am at a loss of what to do for our next cruise. We've also done Regent, which was pretty good (thought the food and service a bit better than SeaDream), but we like the smaller ship concept. Oh well, back to the drawing board....

I was thinking that Seaborn was supposed to be a cut above SeaDream, but from the comments and Berlitz ratings above I may be mistaken :eek:

So now I am at a loss of what to do for our next cruise.

I think I'd take the ratings with a grain of salt(!), and try Seabourn. With the highest staff/passenger ratio in the industry, on a 200+ passenger ship, what's not to like? ;)

Just my opinion, of course...! (YMMV)

Paul :)

Though I haven't been on SeaDream, I know quite a few people who've done both SB and SD and they lean towards SB. But it's all relative. Same with scoring cruises. Check this one out:

http://www.concierge.com/images/cnt/articles/november08/readers_choice/RCATransport.pdf

I've been on several Silversea cruises, both the large and small ships, and have only done one Seabourn. I'm sticking with Seabourn for awhile. Everything just seems so much nicer on Seabourn. The staff, passengers, officers, food, suites.... Everything seems brighter with SB. What really stood out for me is that the Seabourn staff are a lot more cheerful than on Silversea. I know they all work their butts off, but the Silversea staff seemed more tortured and unhappy in general. Just my two cents.....

Hi everyone,

I am new to cruising. Well, I did my first and only one on NCL to the Carribean last summer, and it was too big, loud, crowded, and mass market for me.

I am looking into Seaborn (7-day Mediterranean) and encouraged by the favorable comments on here. I have a few questions for the time being.

I am mostly vegetarian (will eat seafood once in a while for variety) - how are their veggie and seafood selections?

I don't drink much alcohol but do like champagne - what type of champagne do they serve without a surcharge? Is the open bar policy anywhere, anytime?

Where is the crew (waiters and room attendants) from? On their website, they look like mostly young men from Eastern Europe (?). Does this vary by ship?

Any preference between the Legend and Spirit? Any advanced words or previews about the Odyssey that will start sailing in June?

Their website is showing 30-45% discount for summer sailings. Anywhere else that would offer even better pricing?

Thanks!

I am a bit confused about Ragnar's "Yikes"post -- seems like most of the posts on this thread extolled Seabourn's food and service.Notwithstanding the Berlitz rating( and there are other venues where Seabourn has rated higher) few find fault with Seabourn's food and service. I have a friend who is joining us on our Baltic cruise this summer -- first time he and his wife have ever been on a cruise, no less Seabourn -- who makes me look like a foodie wannabe. I have absolutely no doubt that he will love the food on Seabourn. I sent him some sample menus before they booked and he was blown away( granted, anyone can make food SOUND good by writing cleverly worded menu ).And beyond the menus of course there are special requests. We always order a special dinner toward the end of the trip. On our most recent trip we ordered the twice baked goat cheese souffle, steak au poivre(flambeed tableside) and bananas foster( also flambeed tableside). The senior dining room staff seem to enjoy a taking part in a bit of showmanship and we love consuming the results! I also know our friend will love the tasting menu at "2".All of those clever little courses served in a very intimate atmosphere.

Do I love everything I have very eaten on Seabourn? No. But the few less than perfectly prepared items are just minor distractions that don't begin to compare with the majority of things done right.

I am mostly vegetarian (will eat seafood once in a while for variety) - how are their veggie and seafood selections?

Welcome to CC, and the SB Board! I'll try to answer some of your questions, but hopefully others will add...

Seafood is always excellent; the vegetarian selections always seem to be well-thought out (although I admit not to leaning on them too heavily!) With a thank-you to Steve (cands), here's a link he recently posted from his extended first-time SB cruise:

Follow it to his entire cruise's menus! Keep in mind, also, that you may ask for almost anything, particularly if you give some notice. Some changes to the menu offerings are usually easy to accomplish on-the-spot (such as no sauce, a lighter sauce, something pan-fried instead of baked, etc.); if you wish for something "special", just ask...it should be available for you at your next dinner.

I don't drink much alcohol but do like champagne - what type of champagne do they serve without a surcharge? Is the open bar policy anywhere, anytime?

From what I gather, the brand of champagne can vary during the Season, but it's always French, always quite nice, and always available(!), as is the Open Bar policy. You will also have a bar set-up in your suite, which will be replenished as necessary by your room stewardess. You can always ask for wine instead of liquors.

Where is the crew (waiters and room attendants) from? On their website, they look like mostly young men from Eastern Europe (?). Does this vary by ship?

My recollection is that, yes, most of the crew are mid- & Eastern European, with some exceptions, of course. With the new training crews aboard, prior to the Odyssey launch, there may be more variety in home countries. However, all of the staff and crew seem very happy to be with SB, and seem to wish all of their guests to feel "at home". And you will....

Any preference between the Legend and Spirit? Any advanced words or previews about the Odyssey that will start sailing in June?

Their website is showing 30-45% discount for summer sailings. Anywhere else that would offer even better pricing?

As the Legend and Spirit are roughly the same, with the same upgrades, they are, for the most part, the same. You'll just have to read the blogs, and other online info about the Odyssey until she sails. Discounts for some summer cruises seem to have some specials; only you can decide when to book....

But, for a second cruise, following an NCL cruise, I think you'll find that you've made the right choice! There will be nothing comparable!

Find a cruise, check these boards, do a little research, and enjoy!

Hope this helps, welcome again to the SB board!

Paul

I am a bit confused about Ragnar's "Yikes"post -- seems like most of the posts on this thread extolled Seabourn's food and service.Notwithstanding the Berlitz rating( and there are other venues where Seabourn has rated higher) few find fault with Seabourn's food and service.

I was confused, too! :eek: :)

Paul ;)

who's funny that way...

Hi everyone,

"I am mostly vegetarian (will eat seafood once in a while for variety) - how are their veggie and seafood selections?"

You can get anything that you want. Ask for the next day's menu the night before at dinner. If you don't see anything you like, you may order anything you want.

"Any preference between the Legend and Spirit?"

The Legend only has one sink in the bathroom while The Spirit and The Pride both have double sinks in the bathroom. Otherwise, the cabins are the same.

We have been on Seabourn many times and find that each cruise gets better and better. The service is just so gracious. While sitting at the pool, someone is at your side offering you a drink or a snack before you even realized that you wanted one. At dinner, just wondering what a certain dish was like, our waiter brought us a small sample to taste. I think you will just love whatever itinerary you choose and be spoiled forever. You'll never go back to a large ship again.

Chairsin, your "specially ordered dinner" is ~almost~ what I have already decided that I will be ordering during our Baltic cruise, for in suite dining on Formal night.(fancy thinking about what I am going to eat in August on the other side of the World!! :rolleyes:) For me it will be Twice baked Goat cheese soufle, Lobster Thermidor and Bananas Foster....:D Chef Markus wrote out the recipe for Bananas Foster for me last cruise, but thank goodness I havent got around to making it yet....I am sure it will taste better on the Pride than in my kitchen anyway!!

I must also thank Steve for all those Menus, I am going to "pinch" them (Aussie slang for steal) and work out what other "special" dinners I will want to order!

GrannyLorr,

Nothing wrong with a little advanced planning! BTW, how do they do bananas foster for in suite dining? Somehow I can't see them wheeling the trolley into a suite-- but then again this IS Seabourn and they somehow always find a way.We may just repeat the same menu on our Baltic trip in July -- sorry we will miss meeting you(I believe you cruise in August?)

Another note regarding the wait staff -- in my experience the crew is pretty much divided between the from Eastern europe, Scandanavia, and South Africa. But they are all charming, helpfu,l and very fluent in english( oh, I forgot -- and young).

GrannyLorr,

Nothing wrong with a little advanced planning! BTW, how do they do bananas foster for in suite dining? Somehow I can't see them wheeling the trolley into a suite-- but then again this IS Seabourn and they somehow always find a way.We may just repeat the same menu on our Baltic trip in July -- sorry we will miss meeting you(I believe you cruise in August?)

Another note regarding the wait staff -- in my experience the crew is pretty much divided between the from Eastern europe, Scandanavia, and South Africa. But they are all charming, helpfu,l and very fluent in english( oh, I forgot -- and young).

I tried to think of a way...they could use an electric skillet plugged in at the vanity...but...It would seem that the cooking smells would be a bit too much for the suite. You could easily ignite with an automatic torch..but the safety issue comes in to play as well...fire @ sea is to avoid.

Archived