Naples tour--does this sound like a good

route and price? WE have 11:00 to 19:00 in Naples

An itinerary with Pompeii

Pick Up Naples - 11:00

Arrive Pompeii - 11:30

Depart Pompeii - 13:30

(or stop for a quick lunch in Pompeii before or after the tour, depends on how everyone is feeling)

Then with the rest of the time available visit Positano & Sorrento, returning to the ship for 6 pm.

This will be a lovely relaxed tour seeing the archaeological site as well as a scenic drive.

Ap Tours

I am passing on Pompeii guide

Price for:

4/6 is 400 Euro (+ 110 for the guide in Pompeii if you wish to book the guide)

7/8 is 460 Euro (+ 110 for the guide in Pompeii if you wish to book the guide)

I would definitely recommend getting a guide for Pompeii, either arranged beforehand or find one right outside the gate where they congregate. Pompeii is enormous and unless you know where you are going and what you are looking at, you will miss a lot of the experience.

If you can, try to get your driver to take you to the Naples Archeaolgical Museum to see the best of what has been discovered in Pompeii. I have never heard of anybody disappointed with going to that museum.

Since you have a driver, you should be able to do that and get to Sorrento and back with no problem, assuming you are not going in August when traffic can be especially bad.

Have a great cruise!

Yes yes yes..... spring for the guide at Pompeii. APTours arranged one for us (Pina was great !) and she really made the place come alive for us ! I really hate to say that without her - none of it would have really made any sense. It is huge and with limited time she will show you the highlights. When you split the cost - it helps :D (we had 8 too - 4 couples)

Please make sure you allow enough time to get back to your ship from Sorrento/Positano. We left a half hour earlier than we planned and still got back an hour after the ship should have sailed. There was a traffic accident and it took us hours to get back--not to mention the wild traffic in Naples. We were on a private tour, and the only reason the ship waited was because the ship's excursion bus was behind us. It was a nerve-wracking ride back to the ship.

I also agree that you should hire a private guide for Pompeii.

Penny

Please make sure you allow enough time to get back to your ship from Sorrento/Positano. We left a half hour earlier than we planned and still got back an hour after the ship should have sailed. There was a traffic accident and it took us hours to get back--not to mention the wild traffic in Naples. We were on a private tour, and the only reason the ship waited was because the ship's excursion bus was behind us. It was a nerve-wracking ride back to the ship.

I also agree that you should hire a private guide for Pompeii.

Penny

Just curious....but was your guide not aware of the accident ? Our private guide was on his cell phone quite often checking conditions...... he told us that if there was any problems that would cause delays he would simply take a different route. We had also opted to take the ferry back from Sorrento to Naples so that helped too. We were back in plenty of time.

Personally, I would take the hydrofoil from Naples to Sorrento if you want to do the Amalfi. It takes 40 minutes each way.

I wouldn't try to do the Amalfi and Pompeii. I prefer Pompeii and that would be my first choice but Pompeii takes 4 hours with travel time and you only have a total of 6.5 hours because you have to be on the ship at 5:30 if the ship sails at 6PM. And even if the ship docks at 11:00- you may not be on the road until 11:30 by the time you get off and find your guide.

I think you would feel too rushed. If you are the type of person that likes to say "I have been to the Amalfi and I have been to Pompeii" then do it but I don't think that you will have enough time to enjoy either place. It will be just a bunch of riding around.

P.S: Pompeii is in a poor section of Naples and you aren't going to find a very "nice" place for lunch around there. I'd eat lunch in the Amalfi.

Hi Alan,

It sounds like a good tour and price, but I would be a little concerned about covering as much as you are in the time that you have.

In total you'll have approx. 6.5 hours (docking at 11 probably means getting under way by 11:30...and back by 6). Driving time will amount to about 3 hours...possibly more if traffic is heavy. With two hours at Pompeii, that leaves 1.5 hours for Sorrento, Positano and lunch.

We covered the same distances and had a similar tour from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. (in port from 7-7) and that time was sufficient (with an hour stop for lunch) .... but I think it sounds like a lot to pack into less than 7 hours, even if you eat on the run.

Hi Alan,

It sounds like a good tour and price, but I would be a little concerned about covering as much as you are in the time that you have.

In total you'll have approx. 6.5 hours (docking at 11 probably means getting under way by 11:30...and back by 6). Driving time will amount to about 3 hours...possibly more if traffic is heavy. With two hours at Pompeii, that leaves 1.5 hours for Sorrento, Positano and lunch.

We covered the same distances and had a similar tour from 8 a.m. until 6 p.m. (in port from 7-7) and that time was sufficient (with an hour stop for lunch) .... but I think it sounds like a lot to pack into less than 7 hours, even if you eat on the run.

WOW....just reread op's time frame..... yes that is a short stay. We also were in port 7-7 so lots more time. We also went the very end of Nov. which is end of season. No traffic, no crowds, no lines at all. It was wonderful !

With such a short time frame, and 6-6.5 hours is short for this port (usually need to be back on board 30 minutes before sailaway), the furthest I would be comfortable going after Pompeii would be Sorrento. Even then, I'd watch the clock very carefully and if the driver said there was any kind of traffic on the roads, grab the ferry back to Napoli. Positano, unless you are going to get on a boat and look at it from sea, would be cutting things really tight.

okay, you definately have to get a guide for pompei!

you wont have any clue what anything is without one. It is quite amazing all of it, and huge!

We went with the cruise ship, just becuase the tour would run too tight, and it was perfect.

By the way, right by pompei, there are some quaint little pizzaria's, definately on the poorer side, but if your in naples, you gotta have some rizza right? haha

but no matter where you go, the food will be delicious!

The question of what to choose while in Naples comes up frequently. I agree that time limits your choices. I wish more ships stayed two days in Naples because it is hard to see the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri in a day.

The question of what to choose while in Naples comes up frequently. I agree that time limits your choices. I wish more ships stayed two days in Naples because it is hard to see the Amalfi Coast, Pompeii and Capri in a day.

That's precisely why we are sailing with Oceania in June. We have one day in Sorrento and one day in Positano.

Archived